2 fotos that shows Efficiency mode is not so efficient!

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thought i would share these findings! Just drove from Lisbon to Bologna in my 1.6tdi A3. I thought i would try the 1st day in Efficiency mode and then 2nd day in Dynamic mode. 1st day i went 608miles compared to 493 the 2nd day. 1st day was from Lisbon to Irun on the French boarder. 2nd was from Irun to near St Tropez. Spain is quite flat so the 1st day in my opinion should have produced more MPG as not only was it in Efficiency mode, during the 2nd day i was going past the hilly Pyrenees and South France region so i would have expected to burn more fuel. Both days my car was full to the brim of suitcases, both back chairs down,easilly equivalent of a good 4passengers. Both days i stuck cruise control on at 130kph which is 80.7mph and drove most of the mileage with it on that. Spain actually has less toll roads than France so on day 2 i was starting and stopping more to pay for tolls so more acceleration in my view.

So figures where:

Day 1 = 53.6mpg - Efficiency mode
Day 2 = 58.1mpg - Dynamic mode

Difference of 4.5mpg. Not much i know but i think i could have got more out of her in Dynamic mode as it was very hilly on day 2. My explanation for it is that i could feel a real difference in acceleration whilst on cruise control, in Efficiency mode she seemed to take a while to get back up to speed or maintain speed on hilly parts. In Dynamic mode she got up to speed quicker and maintained speed better, maybe less time on the throttle because of this?

Anyway there you go, hope this helps anyone that is wishing to use Efficiency mode to save some fuel!

Fotos below to show the 2 days :)

30587176625 c4aa8103ff o
30595930951 1f25c2829e o

Reactions: Scottyg, StevenC95 and Audi Bairn
So I've been noticing that in Efficiency I get worse gas mileage as well, mainly because I press the gas pedal even more since its "slow" to react. If I put the car in Auto mode, I get about 2mpg better.

Overall I would not use your DIS as an indicator of gas mileage mainly because its usually wrong. Track your mileage via gas fill ups to get a better overall impression of each ADS mode.

BTW, where are you located? Looks like you are MPH and MPG. Thought Efficiency mode was only on cars with KPH.

Efficiency mode on all Audi's made from 2013 mate, unless you don't have drive select lol

Reactions: Scottyg
Madness...what's the reason for that?
Ya its pretty weird, esp since Americans are so cheap yoid think they'd include. However it sea Audi of America doesn't want to subconsciously advert "eco" with their brand image. We really don't get a lot of the "cool" features you guys have and they can't be spec'd either.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Audi is just behind the curve. Probably why Peter Schreyer left VAG to work for the Hyundai Motor Group. Their are plenty of Japanese, Korean cars with Eco, and there are some American, and other German brand luxury cars here in the US with Eco. i.e. Mercedes.

I wouldn't be surprised that the lack of Eco might be something to do with the issues VAG is having with co2 emission cheat problems that they are being raked over the coils now in America in fines.

Reactions: TimWills28 and rcnacura
Audi is just behind the curve. Probably why Peter Schreyer left VAG to work for the Hyundai Motor Group. Their are plenty of Japanese, Korean cars with Eco, and there are some American, and other German brand luxury cars here in the US with Eco. i.e. Mercedes.

I wouldn't be surprised that the lack of Eco might be something to do with the issues VAG is having with co2 emission cheat problems that they are being raked over the coils now in America in fines.
It seems even Hyundai have issues with eco mode in some of their models in different countries also...:yes:
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/153047/watchdog-mystery-of-missing-eco-mode-on-new-hyundai