2 Flush or not 2 Flush, That is the Q !

Turkster

W.Bro.Paul 2.0d Q5 Quattro
Reaction score
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Website
www.facebook.com
When you do your own oil changes,

Do you use/do an Engine flush 1st and then drain all the old oil out or do you just drain out the old oil and let the old oil bits stay in the nooks and cranny's as they say?

in my older cars it was sometimes wise not to as you may clear out oil sludge that was doing some good, good old fords, lol

your views ?

Passat TDI on 192k miles, never flushed it ever, just regular oil changes. The fresh oil goes black as soon as you pretty much drive down the road, no doubt mixing some of the old stuff on the way. Not familiar on a 2.5 though.

Dunno mate

I have used engine flush in the past but just wonder if it causes more harm than good....

I'm wondering if I should use it on my next oil change too!

Give it a miss and spend your money on a good quality synthetic oil, as they have better detergents and will clean the engine properly inside. I have rebuilt many v6 tdi engines with 170k-300k and there was zero sludge built up in the engine. The reason the fresh engine oil goes black in minutes is the fresh oil mixes with the oil left in the oil cooler which cannot be drained normally when doing a change.
For a thorough flush (1.8T engines for example) i drain 1-2L of oil and fill with 2-3L of diesel then run the engine at a fast iddle for 10 min. or so then drain and fill with good oil then repeat in a week.

id never flush an audi
it loosens all the crap (if any)
and could and will block the pick up

Well more so a diesel kersene mix. But thats what is in a tin of engine flush
Next time you happen yo buy some notice how it smells and looks like disel. Any way i wouldnt try unless your willing to risk destroying a perfectly working engine. I considered this last oil change but oil pressures are fine so why muck about with it. New oil anf be done. Oh and use decent oil. I use castrol edge 0-40. On trade was 40. But should be 58.

I'd never be using engine flush m8... Once seen a kid use engine flush and thought he had to get the engine hot so within 5-10 mins the phone was ringing as he seized the engine and needed towing back...if it waters down the oil that much to destroy a engine in such short time then it won't be going in mine.. It was a good make no cheapo rubbish brand.... Best thing was it was a v6 conversion in a Astra so lots of time and money spent to do this job when it was first done.....

well i did the flush the other day, i cant say i noticed any real difference, put it all in when the engine was hot, let the engine tick over for 5 mins and then revved it for another 5 mins at about 20k revs, switched off and drained all the old oil out, to be fair, my oil is changed every 10k miles and has been for the last 5 years, all the oil that came out was none lumpy or had any crap in it, i had a stir around in it and scrapped the bottom of the collected oil pan, all was good, I replaced the oil after it had fully drained with 5 40 fully synthetic long life oil and changed the oil filter, I used 5.5 Ltrs, fired up the Quattro and all is well, I must say that the car seems to run a bit smoother now and seems to pull a bit better too, maybe its all true or its just the mind set, who knows, I even managed to reset the service indicator. Cost me £50 all in, not £150 at the stealers,

iv sometimes used engine flush... usually only forte engine flush.

I flushed my old 1.8t right before dropping the sump to check the pick-up... bearing it mind it had been on avs all its 90k/10 yrs old... and it was clean as a whistle. Not scientific, but cars iv flushed before are still going strong...

i seriously doubt it does any harm, and it would clear any kind of build up which could (unlikely) stop the engine from being properly lubricated/cooled.

I've used flush cans before without issue. Usually only if i dont know the history of the engine though. My own cars get oil changed every 5k, so they stay very clean.

I've also used a 50:50 mix of diesel and cheap engine oil on a very sludged up 1.8T i bought for my track car. When i got it off the trailer it sounded like a bag of spanners clacketing away. Drained the old oil out and it came out in ACTUAL lumps. Filled it with 50:50 diesel/oil and whacked a new filter on. Started it and held revs at 1500rpm. After about 6-7mins one by one the lifters all got pressure and quietened down. By 10mins it sounded more or less normal. Drained that lot out, and refilled with more of the same, repeated the process, then drained and filled with cheap mineral oil and a new filter, and it sounded perfectly quiet. Oil pressure was a bit low once up to temperature, but thats to be expected as its a high mileage motor. I'll pop the sump off and fit a new pump before it goes in the car.