1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.7t cam belt repair advice

Leo Komninos Jun 26, 2018

1. Leo Komninos

Leo Komninos Member

Bought an A6 C5 4B AJK with cam belt failure. Shall be porting and polishing head while I'm in there, and was also going to rebuild turbos.
    Car is unmolested: no ecu tune, mods or whatever. And has had only genuine parts used on it.

Any advice asto what else I should do? Oil leaks seem a big issue with these engines, but service history seems to have kept on top of them.
    Obviously fluids will be changed. Also shall be fitting lpg system once car is 100%, and have spare inlet manifold.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. matt66604

matt66604 Active Member VCDS Map User

LPG in my experience is a waste of time, doesn’t lower your tax after its registered and the gas isn’t as cheap as it used to be, also it goes through gas quicker than it does petrol.

I would check you havnt got the rattling exhaust manifolds.. the ones on my S4 drove me mad..

4. Leo Komninos

Leo Komninos Member

LPG isn't the issue. I have LPG on my A4 Avant 2.4 and have no problems withit at all. I would recommend it to everyone. 10p per mile average, and halving fuel costs = great. Also with new liquid phase injection there is an increase of power over petrol. Currently my MPG on LPG and 95 is about equal.

5. Leo Komninos

Leo Komninos Member

oh, and it reduces your tax by only £5 per year, but your MOT emissions can be done while running LPG, so that's a bonus.

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

my rangey runs on LPG, and sure, it does use a bit more gas than petrol, but the gas is 55p a litre vs petrol at over 120.

I couldnt afford to run it at 15mpg, but its cost equivalent to the A4 once its on LPG, so thats much better.

Ofcourse its not for everyone, and can be hard to get or rather expensive in some areas.

Leo Komninos likes this.
  7. Leo Komninos

Leo Komninos Member

Never had problem with finding filling stations, use Android app called 'FillLGP' even shows prices and covers europe. Can't wait until LSI/LPI (liquid state/phase injection) becomes more reasonably priced. Obviously shall need to fit wideband to properly monitor everything, and also new waterpump, as LPG has higher calorific value than Petrol, so runs a bit hot. Saying that, my a4 2.4 v6 never goes above 90 degrees and i run lpg constantly.
    Have 60l tank which holds 48l (80% fill max) and that takes me 250miles. 48 x 0.58 = £27.84
    27.84/250= 11.136p/mile But can get lpg for 52p/l in Birmingham => 9.984p/mile

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018