2.7T buying advice

joost

Reaction score
As per the title - I was wondering if anyone had any advice as I'm looking at upgrading to a '99 A6 2.7T Quatty (manual 'box). I've been through the forum but can't see anything specific.

I've spotted one with 120K on the clock that's already had the belt/tensionsers/pump changed at 95K but is there anything I should look out for in particular, not necessarily just for this particular variant but the A6 in general?

All help gratefully received!!

Justin

theres not alot to go wrong with these cars, main thing is check for any water ingress around the footwells, if it has sat nav, check that it works fine.....usual suspension things like lower arms, springs etc...anyone else think of owt??

Cheers Slug, good to know there doesn't appear to be too much to check!

I was wondering if these suffered from the same problems as the B5 S4s with the manifolds (with being the same engine etc.)?

I'm sure there was something about the exhaust manis cracking but it was only on earlier models so might not even apply to the 2.7 engined A6s! If you've not heard/read owt, it's probably unlikely.

If its got a towbar, make sure the clutch has been changed within the last 30k or so. Towing a heavy old caravan is not too good for it....

Cheers Fox, I think I've escaped that one - no towbar as far as I know...

to be fair, the A6 is probably one of the best cars for towing soo i wouldnt say there would be an issue, if its say a ford mondeo with a 2ltr engine then maybe think twice

You need to be aware that the std K03 turbos are at the stage where they may be showing signs of failing, although many people are getting 150k from theres before they go pop, and this is an engine out job to change!

That year will be using the uselss Bosch maf which, if it hasnt been changed it will need it by now! Same as 02 sensors, they wont show codes but they get lazy and start to read wrong!

Again, at this age the std diverter valves will be tired and weak, id change them to Audi TT ones £24ea from Audi, the TT's 710n units are a much better unit so a worth while change!

The rubber throttle body boots are prone to tearing and leaks, deffo worth checking as if this leaks its putting unneeded pressure on the turbo's, which will shorten their life!

Be very very wary of cars that have been used on Audi's stupid longlife oil, get rid of it and use some decent 0w40 or 5w30 and change every 5k!

All very minor things which can be changed, a little costly but easy to do, well apart from the Turbo's! If this car is something your looking at, id factor in another £1000 for a change of turbos!

I love mine, best car ive owned by far, ive had Impreza's, type R's, skylines and a few Audi's, but the A6 2.7t is amazing, mines mapped to a modest 320hp and its a beautiful thing!!

Enjoy!

Cheers Nora, I've actually walked away from the one I was looking at - apart from anyhting else, it didn't seem to pull all that well (unless I was expecting too much of it!).

I took a mechanic mate with me to have a look round it and scan for any diagnostic fault codes. Thankfully, there were none for the engine but the airbag light was on and couldn't be reset. It came back to the passenger side ignitor(?) which I thought could have been the connector under the seat but even after checking the connection the light couldn't be extinguished. Besides that, the owner wasn't exactly shy about admitting how much he abused it and the service history was patchy to say the least!

Thansk for all the hep though fellas, really appreciate it. They say that when it's too good to be true, it usually is! Hey ho, life's a bitch and then you marry one...

Good luck with the search. I have a 99 A6 4.2, and had a full documented history, so in the last 10 years and 100k miles the only majorish work has been wiper splines and motor replaced, steering angle sensor, front suspension arms, links and tie rods and air mass sensor. IMHO it's the kind of car that you would look to pay what might seem like a fairly dear price but one which is near mint with full history. When work does need to be done, even if you do it yourself Audi parts are not that cheap.