2.6 quattro avant brakes

jjstud

Reaction score
hi im new here,ive got a 80 quattro avant 2.6. it was fine,until brakes started playing up,its just the drivers side front seems like theres no fluid getting thru to it. has n e 1 else had this problem? help

welcome to the forum jj.

I`ll have first guess :-
collapsed brake hose.

Anymore details might help ie what you`ve already checked and how you know there`s no fluid getting through. I presume you`ve undone the bleed nipple ?

hi dave
yeah there are no leaks,ive tried bleeding still no fluid,although i bleed other wheel and fluid was a a brown colour with air in it,i think it needs changing.

yes i thought the whole caliper was kaput so i got one from scrap yard,ive stripped it down cant c any blockages all the other brakes are working fine,im gonna have another go on it later cheers dave

Starting at the caliper, work backwards up the brake line and loosen off each joint in the line, ie hose to caliper, steel pipe to hose, ABS pump to steel pipe. If you get to the ABS pump and still no fluid, that could be your problem. Just to make sure you need to do the same thing but working forwards starting from the master cylinder, only this time there should be fluid seeping from the joints as you undo them.
This way you should be able to pinpoint the problem without changing bits willy nilly.
It will obviously help if you can find out which pipe/s from the master cylinder goes to the front O/S, although its not critical it just saves you undoing joints that you don`t need to.
HTH

Thinking about that again, if it was the ABS pump the light would be on. When you took the caliper off did you get any fluid dripping from the hose?
What were the symptoms in the first place, why did you think there was a problem?

ive traced the pipe from the caliper back to the ABS and taken the copper pipe off,there was no fluid present,and i have blown thru it there is no blockage in the pipe.Im thinkin there is sum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif in the ABS pump,im gonna get someone down to in the morn who knows what they are doin with ABS system

i have given up,so i took her to garage today they reckon its the master cylinder.....

---------------------------------

80 2.6 quattro avant nice!!!!

could master cylinder cause this? has anyone had these problems?

If there was a problem with the Master Cylinder you would have the same problem with all the brakes as it would not build any pressure in the whole system?...... have you loosed the bleed nipple on the other side to see if there is pressure going through to it?

Have you tried to bleed the whole system from the master cylinder onwards to see if there is air in the system?

yep its been in the garage,and they said there is no air in the system

update on me brakes been told it could be the brake servo (500 quid) from dealer just for the part,im lucky theres a 80 2.6 quattro at scrappy near me £30 for job lot inc master cylinder wey hey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif