2.5tdi Quattro Avant why two pad sensors

Mike B

Reaction score
I had no idea of this until now after struggling to eliminate warning light over the past few weeks.It had been intermittent for sometime but I knew the pads were less than half worn.They were fitted by previous owner.When I read that light on was a failure under new MOT rules I got my son to look at the front left and he managed to reach through the wheel snip and tie the wires.But no change so wheel came off disconnected and bridged the pins but still same.He scanned the car but nothing.Dumbfounded I idly looked at a new set and was taken aback to see they came with TWO sensors!!Off with the other wheel and sorted but why Two??We have changed lots of pads on lots of cars and always one on left side only.MOT due this month .Luckily its 04 so not under new emissions rules,I think.Still a nice drive rare auto with lots of nice extras

A lot of cars have sensors on both sides of the front. Probably due to as the car ages, calipers stick and wears one side down more than the other, so more of a precautionary thing at a guess.

All my Audis have had a sensor plug on both front sides. Even my 2008 Ford Focus had one on each side.

Strange all ours haven't S3s, B5 A4, TT and even his 2015 S5 coupe .I can see its double safe in theory but in practice its always seemed a way of getting unnecessary brake work for garages from those who cant sort it themselves.

I've found the individual sensor handy - had a troublesome caliper rip through a pad in 3k miles due to it sticking.

I now know when it goes off not to ignore it.

My point is why the inconsistency.Just got some pads for the wifes golf Mk5 2.0 only one sensor as was the case with several previous VWs.