1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

2.5tdi exhaust decat any gains?

Lizard821000 Jun 15, 2019

1. Lizard821000

Lizard821000 Registered User

Hi chaps , way to many conflicting info online I found, car goes in Monday for 2/3 decat cut and weld back shut so leave in place for mot, also looking to remove the centre res box while at it.... question is , I’m hoping for some gains sound and performance.... is it worth the money I’ll be spending maybe 3-400 Iv been quoted for works

The 2.5 has 3 cats , 1 pre, 2 further back, centre box and 2 silencers, seems excessive for a system and must be restricting the car all that.

Needs to still pass MOT so don’t want a straight through etc

Any advise on the matter ?

Thanks

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Lizard821000

Blimey it’s quiet round here lol

Anyone have any help for me ?

4. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Think most the folks have migrated to newer Audi's and Facebook groups (even I don't own a B6 now haha).

Should help with spool, my 1.9tdi felt like a rocket after I put a straight pipe on it and with the age of these car's now I'd advise anyone with a B6 to loose the cat, I'd also say go for a straight pipe turbo back (but I'm biased) as it should still be perfectly legal so long as it looks like it has a cat, another story for petrol's with emissions checks though unfortunately (although most petrol heads have a friend who has a friend who is blind and happens to carry out MOT's).

Lizard821000 likes this.
  5. Lizard821000

Hey mate , thanks for reply lol

I know I could prob fit a straight through for maybe the same
    Money buy how do I make it look like it has cats? Stick some fake ones in line?

Mine failed it’s last smoke test mot and needed a fuel cleaner and Italian tune to get it through! Lol so yes I’m betting they are
    Clogged to buggery..... just seeing if it’s worth spending the money on a job like this on a diesel

Sounds like you had good gains

6. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I was debating drilling the original out and putting it over the straight pipe but ended up not doing anything to make it look like it had a cat and none of the 4+ testers I went to seemed to say anything, one place where I had allot of work done I mentioned to them about will they pass it with no cat and they said no but everywhere else I didn't mention it and they didn't seem to notice and/or care.

Think I paid about what your saying for a straight pipe too, really did seem like money well spent personally, didn't seem to smoke much more after it had been done although it already smoked a fair bit anyway as most the maps I had on were providing too much fuel but I didn't mind (so long as it passed), no smoke no poke.