2.5tdi engine codes

tonsofun

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, have recently (1 week ago) bought an A4 Avant 2.5tdi 180 sport, overall happy with it, except it seems well underpowered.
According to all paperwork it is 180 model, including the owners document, the engine code matches what I've seen online.
However the car has had a replacement reconditioned engine, so i have no idea if they keeped with a 180hp item, where can I find the engine code on the block to confirm which engine is fitted??
Thanks Mark

DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes
110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 bhp) @ ?,??? rpm; 310 newton metres (229 lbf·ft) @ 1,400 - 3,200 rpm — AFB, AKN
114 kilowatts (155 PS; 153 bhp) @ ?,??? rpm; 310 newton metres (229 lbf·ft) @ 1,400 rpm — AYM
120 kilowatts (163 PS; 161 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 310 newton metres (229 lbf·ft) @ 1,400 - 3,600 rpm — BCZ, BDG, BFC
132 kilowatts (179 PS; 177 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 370 newton metres (273 lbf·ft) @ 1,500 - 2,500 rpm — AKE, BAU, BDH
applications
Audi A4 (AFB: 11/97-06/00, AKN: 07/98-09/01, AYM: 12/00-06/02, AKE: 12/00-05/03, BFC: 07/02-05/03, BAU/BDH: 06/03-12/04, BCZ: 06/03-12/05, BDG: 06/03-05/06),

Not sure where abouts on the block the code is though.

Ideally though, you need to scan the car with VCDS to see if there are any underlying faults. When I got mine, it required a new MAF and that made a huge difference. I also cleaned the turbo as it wasa little coked up. Is there a receipt for the engine work? Should be on there what engine code was fitted.

There's a receipt for the fitting of the recon engine, but not for the engine itself!
My mate with vagcom is away, will scan it when he's back, was thinking of disconnecting the maf to see what difference it makes, apparently it should if all is working 100%??. Have read about cleaning the turbo's, is it literally take off and clean blades, or a deeper strip down than that??
Just thought finding the code on the block will determine what power it is meant to be, as it was advertised as 180hp model, and if it isn't I'm taking it back. Bought from the same dealer who carried out all the work about 18 months ago, so they have assured me that all was done with correct engine. Hope that maks sense.

The v6 is a very smooth engine and might not seem spirited due to the way it delivers the power...as above, make sure it runs properly before making assumptions ! 180bhp in a heavy 1700kg 4 whhel drive will be no match to a hot hatch which has better power to weight ratio !

This is all very true, and as it's my first I'd like to just check before i jump to conclusions, as i have no proof of the engine type used, i think it would be worth checking it out before I've had the car ages and it's too late to do anything about it.
Thanks Mark

This is all very true, and as it's my first I'd like to just check before i jump to conclusions, as i have no proof of the engine type used, i think it would be worth checking it out before I've had the car ages and it's too late to do anything about it.
Thanks Mark
hello take it to the likes of demon tweeks and put it on a dyno that will give its horsepower now before you do any mods or cleaning, my 2.5tdi is a 163 version but with a re-chip it performane now is a lot lot better it was done when I had the cam belt done by my local independent audi dealers who normally work on rs4,s and sixes so good guys who know what they are doing, hope you sort it, cheers from Colin

Ok, so i had a few other niggles from the car, and had it booked into my local garage, as I know them well and trust them i asked if they could give it a once over as I'd just got it, get any little bits sorted straight away.
They found several MOT failure issues, and as it has 12 months MOT to phone them and ask how this happened. The dealer had MOTd the car themselves and missed major issues and several smaller bits, and a lomg list of advisory items. I have spoke to the dealer who had obviously agreed to do all the work free of charge, which is fine, and i will take it back to my local garage to check it's been done properly. This shouldn't be necessary but they have tried once to get away with it.
As this is all happening I'm even more concerned about the engine used....was it refurbished etc. I will have no way of telling, but at least want to make sure it is the correct engine.
Does anyone know where the engine code would be stamped or where i can find out?
Thanks for all your help.

If you look at the engine it's stamped on the block where it meets the driver side cylinder head as you look next to the injector pump. It should be AKE if it's a quattro...

Originally it was an AKE, will have a look tomorrow if i get time, thanks for that Adam. It's going back next week to the dealer to have all the repairs done, will find out before then and sort it all at once :).
Thanks for all your help.

I have learnt over the past few weeks is to take off the filler cap and check the cam lobes and they should be smooth with no lips so that is a good thing to check, cheers from Colin

Hi, thanksfor all your help, slowly getting there with the car.
Founded the engine code which is AYM and is the 150hp model from what i can tell, i have phoned the dealer, who assured me they fitted new AKE cams, and all the injectors, turbo etc from the original AKE engine and therefore will be full AKE spec just with a different code. He is currently getting the invoice with part numbers for cams etc.
If this is the case are the block, head and internals the same from AYM and AKE, and with correct cams and turbo it will be the same spec, or is he lying again??
Thanks

hello if the 150hp spec engine was serviceable then why spend loads of cash updating it to the 180 spec, also is your car four wheel drive, sounds like to me is return to to seller as not the car you thought you where buying, otherwise once you accept it then there is nothing more you can do, there are good original cars out there go and get a proper one, cheers from Colin.

I'd return the car. The block and internals might be the same, but still you should have been informed that the engine was a mash of parts thrown together, along with the MOT scenario you have dug up, it's all adding up to be very fishy. I personally would return it and get my money back. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking? What year, mileage and condition etc?

Dan

Ok, i knew it was a second reconditioned engine. Its an AYM block, internals and heads, with new AKE cams, and everything from original motor (so AKE too) So if it is the same spec I'm happy with that, just want to make sure engine, internals and head are indeed the same. I've done similar on old golfs. If its thhe same, and what's available at the time, I understand it.
The car is 2002 quattro avant, 133k in good condition, £2,600. I opted for this one as it has a recent recon engine, new clutch and seemed solid. If the engine is the correct spec I'm actually pretty happy with the car (They have agreed to fix all other problems free if charge). Just want to sort it all out before it's too late to go back, just incase.

good luck luck with it, once they have done the required jobs it would be good to put it on a dyno to see what you are getting at the wheel, I would tell the dealer that once you have done the jobs that is what you intend to do, so they know what you are intending to do, then just see, good luck again cheers from Colin

Thanks Colin , have been through some part numbers and it seems the block, internals, heads, cams are all the same. So a high chance he's telling the truth, just when someone lies once (and he's a car salesmen at the end of the day) it puts that doubt in your mind.
Well I'll probably be doing a few mods soon if I keep it. May get a few basic bits done then hit the rollers.
Thinking an egr delete, a decent clean up and decoke turbo etc. Exhaust with possible decat (depending on MOT rules), then move onto a remap once all issues are ironed out.
I think I'm going to try to get cruise control, and the computer thing (DIS or something) and maybe a satnav headunit to modern up the driving experience too :D

180 Bhp engine has lower compression pistons, different rods, different injectors, turbo and map. yOu can get the AYM 155 Bhp to over 180 Bhp with just a remap so that level of power is no problem for a healthy engine. The cams are the same between all A series engines...

Is that definitely the case?? The part numbers I found suggest pistons and rods were the same. It has injectors and turbo from the 180.
This is started to be more of a headache than it's worth :/
I have a 130bhp bora, which is the same engine as 150bhp, differences are turbo, intercooler and map only. If this is the same deal, I'm ok with it!!
The problem i have isnt getting it to 180bhp, it's the fact they sold it to me as a 180, i didn't go look at certain cars as i was after a 180. I shouldn't have to remap to get this power.
Stupid car salesmen, should be honest lol

if your bora is pre 2003 then the engine block is different and shares very few parts with the ARL engine. After 2003 vag group used the same block with strenghtening webbing across the range (exception makest the pd100) but crank, rods and pistons are particular to the ARL engine.
The ARL had gt1749vb turbo, larger injectors, different map and a few more bits and bobs. The ASZ had a gt1749va turbo, smaller injectors, different map, etc.
It's not the end of the world you got the AYM engine, the engine is pretty much the same bar the oil cooler, injectors, crank, rods, turbo and map. The v6 tdi is a very storng lump and 300 Bhp is achievable with just bolt on mods...

When you get a car that has extensive work done by someone you don't know or trust it will always be a worry as to what parts they have used. Its liable to be a mix of parts from the old AKE and the AYM engine now fitted but without expert knowledge you will nover know for sure. If you read some of Adamss24 posts on this forum you will appreciate that this man really knows his stuff about building and tuning VAG engines. If you can get someone like him to look at your car and give an opinion it might help you make a decision as to whether to keep it or not. It might be worth while pressing the dealer for a reasonable discount and then putting that money towards paying a real expert to work on boosting power outputs. As Chris Adams says you can get some pretty impressive performance out of these engines by just fitting a hybrid turbo and bigger injector nozzles and getting a good remap done.

Thanks for all your advice, it's starting to look like an AYM Block, head and internals with AKE everything else.
So from how I've understood what I've read, and please correct me if I'm wrong...
Assuming it's running the 180 turbo, injectors, map, this would then br running closer to 180 than 150, and with higher compression (as AYM Pistons)
Does this make it more fragile??
Don't really want to through money at it yet, I can do alot of work myself, exhaust, cleaning things up, egr delete. Dont want to be spending on another turbo. Would mapping it as it is be worth it as i have plannedto do before i bought this mungrel.
Is anyone in the Cambridge area you could recommend that would know enough about these?

Chris Adams (adamss24) is in London. Read his posts about 2.5tdi engines. He really knows his stuff.

So it seems Chris sells hybrid turbos, and injectors? Is this the case, i saw a post was not sure if that was a one off or not.
Where about in London are you Chris? Would you have a look over the car for me, what would this cost? Do you also do remapping?

Hi mate, i have many tuning options for the audi diesel engines, basically I can build you what you want. I have hybrid turbos which are plug and play or turbo kits that look as close to original as possible: gtb2056vk/vl, gtb2260vk, hybrid 2260vk with 62, 65 or 69mm compressor wheels and the newest ball bearing gtb2060vklr or 2260vklr as well as hybrids with 65mm compressor wheels either 6+6 blades or full GTX style 11 blades for great midrange and top end ! Up to 350 Bhp with bolt on mods !

Make sure and let us know how you get on. I always like to hear how these things pan out.

So I dropped the car back with the dealer, they're fixing a few things free of charge for me, then I'm planning on taking it to Chris Adams for a once over and some sort of upgrade, not sure how far I'll go yet.
In the mean time I'm driving a Megane Diesel courtesy car....just to make the entire experience even worse lol.
Thanks for all your advice so far.

Looking forward to see how the car goes...good luck with it !

So I dropped the car back with the dealer, they're fixing a few things free of charge for me, then I'm planning on taking it to Chris Adams for a once over and some sort of upgrade, not sure how far I'll go yet.
In the mean time I'm driving a Megane Diesel courtesy car....just to make the entire experience even worse lol.
Thanks for all your advice so far.
it had to be a French courtesy car never liked all French cars not for any bad experiences I have had never liked them and never will but that is my opinion, your Audi when you get is back from Chris Adams should be up to speed so to speak good luck with it and as previous message looking forward to how you get on, I wish I lived nearer to London and not the North West, cheers from Colin

If only we could clone Chris Adams LOL!!
good guys are rare in mechanics and we all look up to them, there are two good guys by me who repair RS4 and 6,s and I asked one of them would they have one and I will not repeat what he said. cheers from Colin

Just a little update, have been down to see Chris Adams, he was very helpful and obviously knows his stuff.
So it turns out i have an engine mount problem, a leaky intercooler and paid way too much for this car.
Will be collecting some parts and heading back to Chris for a few repairs, an egr delete and a decent map.

Just a little update, have been down to see Chris Adams, he was very helpful and obviously knows his stuff.
So it turns out i have an engine mount problem, a leaky intercooler and paid way too much for this car.
Will be collecting some parts and heading back to Chris for a few repairs, an egr delete and a decent map.
hello and thanks for the update, with what you have can you not go back to the dealer and request some money back off the original cost to cover the known faults at least that way you should have some closure with the dealer and see Chris for the jobs to be done and then you might have a bit of wunnf in the car, cheers from Colin.