2.5 v6 tdi poor start when cold, HELP!!

Nathen

Reaction score
2.5 v6 tdi poor start when cold takes a while to turn over sometimes a good 2 attempts glow plug light takes a good minut to turn off but when running it runs smooth as a nut, when engine is hot glow plug lights off in seconds and car starts 1st time as it should, any ideas? Hoping its a simple fix.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So ive come to realise after a little light reading on the net that its one or more of the glow plugs failing, but i cant find anything on there about how to change them, i can get 6 bosch ones from where i work for cheap but i need to know how to change them theres no haynes manual for the 6 cylinder deisel engine and like i said nothing online anybody help? Cheers.

Nathan I have the same issue, same motor 2003. When eventually starts I get quite a lot of smoke as well. So i'll be keeping an eye on this post.

Nathan I have the same issue, same motor 2003. When eventually starts I get quite a lot of smoke as well. So i'll be keeping an eye on this post.
Ive gone and bought new glow plugs today and will be fitting them tomorrow so will let you know if that helps, someone on B6UK mentioned the coolant temp sensor causes simular symptoms so worth checking that on yours mate. Good way to check glow plugs is turn ur key so that the glow plugs warm up then turn the key to off then turn the key so they warm again and then start the engine hopefully the glow plugs warming twice will help starting the engine.

Reactions: Andyjbee
Be very careful when removing glow plugs. They can snap in the head without warning. Make sure engine is hot and I recommend soaking them in plus gas for a couple of days before attempting to get them in out. If any break you have real problems. You can test them with a multimeter without removing them anyway so if it isn't broke no need to fix it.

There can be a problem with the headlight switch which causes this.Does it start better with the sidelights on?The plug light should go off 1n about 15 seconds.Seems the plugs are hard to change and can break off if you use too much force.Might be worth checking to see if they all need changing first

There can be a problem with the headlight switch which causes this.Does it start better with the sidelights on?The plug light should go off 1n about 15 seconds.Seems the plugs are hard to change and can break off if you use too much force.Might be worth checking to see if they all need changing first
This morning i turned the sidelights on and the car started loads better, but just tried it when i come out of work and it didnt make a difference going to test my glow plugs before i change them hoping its them tbh and not somthing more serious

Quick update to this, if anyone is interested haha, i tested my glow plugs with a multimeter, they were all showing under one volt apart from one so 5 were bad and 1 was good so i swapped them all out for nice new NGK ones and the car starts and runs perfect.