2.5 v6 tdi mpg?

Gunny110

Reaction score
Going from a 1.9 gttdi 110 asv lump, I used to get about 55 driving a round town, that was with a come air filter and a egr delete. The v6 gets about 40 and just 50 on a run. Is this the norm? All it has is the cone filter. And no idea of last service but can't afford to do one just now as money is tight with baby and getting married. As soon as I have it I will do because I'm a firm believer in if you look after your car, it will look after you. Thanks all

I know when my dads mate had the v6 tdi he said the best he got was around 46mpg his was the A6 quattro so would be a bit worse than the fwd.
I don't think the 2.5tdi is known for much more but I could be wrong.
first thing I would try is a standard airbox and filter as I believe the cone filters give worse mpg

What Aragorn said ^^^

I used to have a PFL 110 TDi Avant and doing 60 mile round trips to work I would see 55+ mpg all day long.

Now got a 1.8 non-turbo petrol and that's doing 38 mpg, which I'm surprised at in all honesty!

Sounds about right.

Quattros do mid 30's round town and mid 40's on a run.
so my dads mates A6 was doing well then to get 46 being heavier and a quattro...

What Aragorn said ^^^

I used to have a PFL 110 TDi Avant and doing 60 mile round trips to work I would see 55+ mpg all day long.

Now got a 1.8 non-turbo petrol and that's doing 38 mpg, which I'm surprised at in all honesty!

that's good for a 1.8 petrol. my mate never got anywhere near that out of his passat 1.8 non turbo

so my dads mates A6 was doing well then to get 46 being heavier and a quattro...

that's good for a 1.8 petrol. my mate never got anywhere near that out of his passat 1.8 non turbo

Yeah I think so. I don't drive her hard, as there's absolutely no point, constant speed variable noise kinda of thing

Last service I performed an engine flush and regularly use fuel additives like Archoil or BG44K to keep things clean.

I'm thinking of getting that Terraclean service done. I've been quoted £100.

Dont waste your money on terraclean.

Send the injectors off for ultrasonic cleaning if you feel you must do something, it will make a bigger difference than terraclean ever will, and costs less too.

38mpg is pretty impressive, but ofcourse it all depends how and where you drive. My commute to work is mostly motorway and about 40 miles each way. If i only use the car for work, and drive there and back without getting annoyed and giving it full throttle past various mongs, just driving nice and steadily, i can easily manage 35 in my TQS. However if i start doing short trips from cold, round town and whatnot, it quickly drops down. My average usually comes out around 32.

The wife does much shorter journeys on average, driving the 4 miles to her work etc, and her average can often be in the 26-27 range, espeicially in winter when its cold.

My two 2.5Q s got 38 and 42 MPG respectively when running them separately.
Mixed commute, 1:30hrs each way. The wife had more town driving, hence the lower figure (I guess)

Down to about 41 now, we are using the one 2.5 between us (3.0 Allroad getting 35 same trips)

The best I've had from my oil burner is 45mpg. That's during the summer with decent ambient temperatures and avoiding the temptation to floor it. Car is still original with no modifications, apart from a K&N panel air filter. I've put a couple cans of Forte diesel conditioner straight into the fuel filter prior to MOTs. It'll smoke like a minesweeper at full pelt but it clears quickly. Renew the filter afterwards and top up with fresh fuel.

Besides, I didn't buy my Amtrak locomotive for outright speed. How many 2001 diesel estates have 330Nm of torque on tap?

Reactions: PAULF
I got 55 the other day gents!! And that's with a ****** thermostat