2.5 TDI sometimes feels abit sluggish.

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Sometimes (ussualy on hills) if i floor it, it doesn't seem to respond very well. Not exactly losing power, but doesn't feel like it has the torque it does. Perhaps down to weight. Just wondering if it could be anything obvious. Maybe needs a clean out. My other issue is in another thread about cold starts and engine notes.
On another note, i was giving it some the other day. My father was in front in his vectra gsi. The vectra is running 208bhp. Yet mine was keeping up happily, so thats not showing it to be sluggish either.

Any ideas?

Possibly the MAF? I'd get it scanned rather than just guessing though.... Whats up with your cold starting?

Also, it never smokes. Is this normal?

Cold starts, sometimes when its really cold. If its rev'd to 3k (i know it shouldn't be) the engine note changes. Like its sparked up a couple of extra cylinders.
No engine light is on, would there still be a fault?

Mine doesn't really smoke tbh. When you say 'cold' - are you talking about the recent cold snap when it was below freezing? After you've wound it over a few times before it fires up do you see some unburnt fuel smoke out of the back? Its probably nothing more sinister than the glowplugs getting old, but it could be a couple of other things such as pump timing, or coolant temp sensor.

Depending what if anything is wrong, its unlikely to show an engine light. If you have it scanned with VAgcom it will tell you if there are any faults, and also get the fuel pump timing checked while you're there.

Today was abit chilly, minus 1 ish rev'd to 3k and it did it again, you get abit of a kick when it hits it. Then it was fine after that. Could well just be glow plugs. Next on check list, its on 144k now. So might need it. Worth using any cleaners in it?

I'll try and get hold ofa vagcom, and if it gets any worse I'll have the pump timing checked. Cheers James.

my 2.5 does the same engine note thing that you are on about mate and i had mine on vag-com last week and it didnt show anything up. mine also needs a couple of seconds to fire up when its really cold. i just had my maf done last week too and the low down torque has improved loads! its like a differnt car to drive now!!

How much was the new maf out of interest?
I've had it out and about today, put some diesel addative in to clean it out abit. Could just be a cold thing like you both say. Not worrying too much. Had it on the motorway today and it wasn't exactly hanging around.

i got it done under warrenty mate i think it was 140 including labour, i seen them on euro car parts for around £100 i think