2.5 tdi engine suddenly stopped - please help

allankennedy

Reaction score
My 2005 Audi Quattro 2.5 tdi Auto was running perfectly when suddenly, at fairly high speed going uphill the engine cut out without warning. No hiccups, no misfiring , just stone dead.
No warnings appeared on the dash though when I was trying to restart I saw the glow plug light flashing at one point.
The rescue guy squirted something into the air intake and it started for a few seconds then nothing. After being carried home I checked the fuel pump fuse then loosened a pipe on the fuel filter and found that fuel is flowing when ignition is on but with no amount of cranking will it even try to fire.

VAG.com reported as follows ----------------

01375 Valves for engine mounting stage 1 - 38.10 Output wont switch or intermittent

01376 Engine speed signal for injection pump - 37.10 Faulty - intermittent

When I clicked clear faults the 01376 one went away but the first one stayed. My question is could this point to the reason that the engine will not even try to fire ?

All advice will be greatly appreciated -- thanks

Air in the fuel system? (Check for air bubbles in a clear fuel supply hose)

Thanks but unfortunately it's not that simple as there's a good flow of fuel and no sign of bubbles. Also if that were the cause I don't think the engine would have stopped so suddenly and completely. There would sure be some mis firing and some sign of life when cranking? It is completely dead.

Speed sensor inside the injection pump. Check wiring

Attachments

• VP44 speed sensor.jpg
    VP44 speed sensor.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,588
Thanks but I've found the problem today. The pump belt tensioner bolt has broken. My question now is can I fit a new one without removing the front end and how do I turn the engine to reset the timing?

Attachments

• 20181015_143654.jpg
    20181015_143654.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 705
you have take the front end to a Service position. (dismantle the front bumper and pull forward the front end)

It looks like I can change the belt and tensioner from the top by removing the driver pulley? If so then the remaining questions are where are the timing marks and how do I physically turn the engine. ?

Well I finally managed to fit the new tensioner and luckily I found some paint marks on the belt and pulleys. Lined up with these and bingo! shes running sweetly again.