2.5 Tdi Allroad glow light not working

Sean Allroad

Reaction score
Hello folks

i have a2004 2.5 tdi allroad and the glow light is not working. The glow system itself is working because I can hear the relay going on and off aswell as watch the volt meter. Volt meter drops off while the plugs are on. Glow plugs are new, needle lift sensor new. Car starts fine and has no fault codes. Can anyone help me with a simple diagram of the glow light so I can trace the wire?ا

lastly...any idea on checking the dynamic setting of the injectors/ pump using ESI Tronic.

cheers

Probably at some point the brake light switch did not work and the rogue dealer who sold it to you masked the light with tape or broke the LED of the dash board...You can test the functionality of the dash lights with VCDS also known as Vag Com...
Don't know about the Esi tronic but VCDS also does timing as long as it's fully activated/registered...

The ECU uses the glow plug light as a engine light warning and the brake light switch is tied in such a way that ECU knows when it's on to disconnect cruise control, it also puts the engine in "limp mode" when the rear brake light bulbs are blown...

Ah.. Ok... I pulled out the cluster last night and it seems like it was not tampered with (until last night). I took it apart and there is no tape on the led and the led is intact. I dont have the software yet to activate the light. So I will have to check the circuit with a wiring diagram. Only prob is that the diagram from elsawin gets to a point then stops and its a bit confusing. What turns the light on and which wire i the activator?

Im slowly getting this sorted. Got the fuel consumption down to 10.1 liters/ hundred from 20 (still heavy) but still have to check the egr and the pump timing. Airmass was full of gunk and turbo cleaned up. I Dont trust anyone here to touch it... Might end up worse lol . Enjoying doing it myself in my spare time. Finding the right info is the challenge.

Thanks for the hep and info Adamss24

You did well to drop the fuel consumption that much, they are very heavy cars and permanent 4 wheel drive kills performance/fuel economy ! You can try disconnecting both rear brake bulbs or fitting a pair of blown ones, the coil light should come on the dash. The brake sensor has 4 pins, 2 are used by the ECU to monitor cruise control and pedal input (like when you rev the engine to 3000rpms and press the brake- the engine drops to iddle) so it works the driver wish map and fueling- these are "drive by wire" so no physical connection between accelerator and pump ! Best find someone with vag com or buy a cheap "dumb" interface off ebay and register the VCDS lite to work- it will save you loads of money in the long run !

Adamss24... Thanks again for the info :)I will give this a bash tomorrow.. In the meantime I have a bigger fish to fry. I was in the process of removing the EGR to clean it and before I got it out I foun that The pipe between the EGR and intake manifold has cracked so I guess that is why the car seems sluggish, fuel economy poop and seemingly loss of boost. Dont really fancy EGR delete yet until I get it running right as stock first. Any chance you would have one of these pipes lying about.... Ebay came up empty :(

Post a picture as they are 2 pipes there. I do have a pair somewhere...

ImageHi, its the pipe which is being loosened in this picture, between the EGR and the intake manifold.....

I have that pipe, however i noticed you're from Czech Republic which is not exactly close to Uk so might not be that cheap to post ! There's something funny about that picture, the coolant temp. sensor is the old type from pre 1999 engines and there is no pre-cat, what's the engine code assuming the picture it's yours ?

Hi... Hahaha... Thats not my car :). I just grabbed a pic off the net of the pipe. My engine is a BAU. Euro 3...with DPF.
I bodged the pipe for now, cut out the flexi bit where it spilt and banged a metal tube in between. Not ideal but gets me to work for now, just concerned that without that expansion joint, the manifold might crack.

Yeah, Im in Prague but struggle like hell to get anything here... Hardly anyone speaks English:(
How much would it be all in?? I could transfer you the money. Pm me, but I think you have my email id???

With the Euro3 would I need to map out the egr on the engine management if I removed it??

Cheers again... Nice to be in touch with someone who knows their stuff...

Hi... Hahaha... Thats not my car :). I just grabbed a pic off the net of the pipe. My engine is a BAU. Euro 3...with DPF.
I bodged the pipe for now, cut out the flexi bit where it spilt and banged a metal tube in between. Not ideal but gets me to work for now, just concerned that without that expansion joint, the manifold might crack.

Yeah, Im in Prague but struggle like hell to get anything here... Hardly anyone speaks English:(
How much would it be all in?? I could transfer you the money. Pm me, but I think you have my email id???

With the Euro3 would I need to map out the egr on the engine management if I removed it??

Cheers again... Nice to be in touch with someone who knows their stuff...
Yes Sean, the EGR will need deleting from the tune if you want to get rid of it really, send me your address so i can get a postage quote for you...

Back to the glow light topic... Managed to get my hands on ESI Tronic and did a drive link check on the cluster, the light is working.
Noticed that the light for the park lock indicator on the gear shift is not working either. I assume this lights up when the brake is pressed? Pluggen in my spare 139 and still doesnt work. If the glow light is linked to the brake light and this too, then I assume there is some connection between. Brake lights are working. Unplugged brake light switch and still no glow light... Completely lost without a wiring diagram :(