2.5 TDi Allroad - Cylinder head in-situ removal tips?

nedge2k

Reaction score
So getting the cam covers off is simple enough but the heads themselves are proving to be a bit of a pig to do in-situ.

On the n/s bank, the metal water pipes are held by a single allen-head bolt...but I can't get on it because there's a take-off obstructing it.

Can I leave the exhaust manifolds on and just unbolt the link pipe?

I take it for the turbo, half moon spanners are in order?

If anyone has some quick pointers for getting the heads off I'd appreciate it! Half tempted to pull the whole engine...

I also seem to be missing the flywheel off my injection pump - anyone know its purpose?

I believe it's to prevent rupture of the timing belt (short belt).

On the older in-line 5 2.5tdi, the belt on the injection pump was prone to failure for no apparent reason.

hmmm...if that's the case, maybe that's what caused my pulley to fail...

Check if is not jammed at bottom somewhere, had to be on pump before this happened...

Meant to post this before. Here are my tips after having done it...

• In addition to the usual stuff, make sure you have a flexible socket extension, multiple lengths of wobbly extension, a 12mm half moon spanner, a stubby 12mm spanner and good quality allen sockets. Crowsfoot and offset spanners may also come in handy, as will a 3/8" breaker bar. Remote hose clip pliers are a must!
  • Remove the O/S head first - this makes it easier to deal the the front N/S hard coolant pipe later
  • To free the hard coolant pipe from the O/S head, after you have remove the 2 securing bolts, use a trolley jack handle or similar to pry it back toward the bulkhead. A big screwdriver proably won't work and may result in your knuckles hitting the EGR valve at high speed...
  • On the N/S head, the two hard coolant pipe are attached to the middle of the exhaust-manifold-side of the head by 1 #5 allen bolt. You will need either an allen key with longer legs than normal or a long allen socket. You may also find the pipe clip obstructing access - if this happens, not even a remote host clip pliers will get in there. Use something like water pump pliers to turn the whole rubber pipe round until you can get the remote hose clip pliers on. Make sure your allen key/socket is good quality, you don't want it rounding out.
  • You can't take the intermediate exhaust pipes off without taking the exhaust manifolds off - you'll see why.
  • On the AKE, there's a "starter cat" / elbow coming off the turbo. Just take the turbo off first or you'll have to dent and pry the starter cat out.
  • The elbow/cat to downpipe nuts need to be done from under the car with multiple socket extensions.

Think that's it from memory, the rest should be pretty self explanatory :)

Last edited: