2.3 v5 turbo engine.. Discussion

beachbuggy

Reaction score
Just looking into it really, but anyone know if its a feasible option? V5 engines go pretty cheaply, as far as I know bolt onto existing gearboxes. Larger displacement etc. obviously custom manifolds need to be made but not really seen much info in the net. Just wondering how CR can be lowered, whether a stock ecu v5 ecu can be made to run boost? Appreciate it won't have n75 for boost control but if you run a MBC whether fuelling will still work.

Be similar to fitting a turbo to an R32 engine... a sandwich plate for lowering compression... not sure what they do to the mapping on these but I don't think V5's use Me7? if going down this route then standalone will give you less pain I would imagine... DTA S60 for example...

All the R32 conversions I have seen use ME7 but boost control is just via uprated actuators etc... no N75 as the ECU has no concept of it... you couldn't just cross flash either due to extra cylinders etc...

The basic principle is to increase fuelling as airflow increases... jap setups use adjustable FPRs etc... on R32 I reckon they adjust correction tables (FKVVS for example) to increase fuel on high rpm/load...

<tuffty/>

The 20v V5 engine is fundamentally the same as the r32 engine, the 10v however is of the old 12vr6 family.
20v v5's run ME7.1 but are wideband equipped! Single bank lambda equipped too, which saves one of the headaches you get when turbocharging the r32, dual bank lambda control with all 4 sensors sitting in a single downpipe, it tends to get confused with fuel trimming each bank. I have a 20v v5 loom and ecu, more than welcome to have it if you wanted to investigate this route.

The 20v V5 engine is fundamentally the same as the r32 engine, the 10v however is of the old 12vr6 family.
20v v5's run ME7.1 but are wideband equipped! Single bank lambda equipped too, which saves one of the headaches you get when turbocharging the r32, dual bank lambda control with all 4 sensors sitting in a single downpipe, it tends to get confused with fuel trimming each bank. I have a 20v v5 loom and ecu, more than welcome to have it if you wanted to investigate this route.

that's interesting, yes I'd like to have a look, could you post the Ecu number as well as would like to see if I can find the flash.

tuffty, with regards the sandwich plate. Any more details on this? Is it just a thicker HG are these readily available or do they need to be custom made?

If its wideband then surely, or presumably the lambda table will be rpm/pedal based therefore whether running boost or not it will fuel to the desired lambda as per the map table? Only thing needed would be an fpr like the 20v turbo ones

that's interesting, yes I'd like to have a look, could you post the Ecu number as well as would like to see if I can find the flash.

tuffty, with regards the sandwich plate. Any more details on this? Is it just a thicker HG are these readily available or do they need to be custom made?

Sure, I'll dig it out in a mo. the sandwich plates are a laser cut steel plate sandwiched between the first and last layer of a o.e steel head gasket, you ditch the std middle layer in favour of the plate basically. I have an r32 spacer here if you wanted to work out if it can be cut to fit the v5.

If its wideband then surely, or presumably the lambda table will be rpm/pedal based therefore whether running boost or not it will fuel to the desired lambda as per the map table? Only thing needed would be an fpr like the 20v turbo ones[/QUOTE

It was the long term trims that kept having to be reset a lot as after a week or so it would start causing issue. Part throttle stutter, it was cured by moving both wideband sensors to a different position.
D779B246-E822-4018-B08B-0EA2CF0DF9F3-5029-000003E95D0937D2.jpg

Ben have done this with a 2.3 then or just the 3.2?

Only ever the v6's of all description mate. Always been up for playing with the v5 though, if you decide to play with one of these let me know......

I think once the TT is gone, then I will have to get hold of an engine and see what can be done. Rods can be bought from IE so that's not an issue. I can get an exhaust manifold made up for a turbo, probably look at k04 hybrid again.

Reactions: andrew_wright