2.0tfsi oil catch can kit upgrade kit to conventional factory setup.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well being doing a fair bit of research into these catch can kits and there effectiveness , there are a fair few kits on the market, some are rubbish to be honest and a few are very good by the looks of things.
so armed with the all important info i'm going to go with this setup from awesome gti, nothing is really a sensible price from them frankly and this is no exception but does look and from reviews is the way to go on the whole issue of replacing and upgrading the audi oem pcv setup.

http://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-b...otorsport-billet-alloy-catch-can-kit-2-0tfsi/

Cat5

Last edited:
Still won't solve the issue of the rear pcv pipe on the back of the rocker cover, the engine will still dump oil/vapour back into the intake.

If I was you rob I'd beat the rtech complete delete kit, you can either vent to atmosphere or into a catch can, then I'd buy a sakamochi oil catch can. Will be half the price of that kit from awesome and will solve the issue totally.

well thank you kindly sir for the heads up.. i'm on the case now...
rob

Reactions: Dani_B19
Dani, thanks for the heads up, I looked at catch cans a while ago and decided that people generally didn't get much benefit from then, but had not seen the r tech kit before.

Any idea how how often you need to empty the catch can?

Dani, thanks for the heads up, I looked at catch cans a while ago and decided that people generally didn't get much benefit from then, but had not seen the r tech kit before.

Your welcome mate, you liked my advice that much you posted 3 times haha.

That my friend will be different for every application, non2 cars will be the same, will all depend on how heavily the car breaths.

General rule of thumb is to just empty the can every month, so it's best to make sure the can has a drain off tap and is easily accessible.

Shoot - was on the train and in and out of signal so totally spammed the thread - oops.

Are you running this set up?

No mate, just been doing my research.

I will do eventually but wanted the car running right before I started modding it plus cost was a issue so I purchased a new oem pcv valve for the time being.

I did run the sakamochi catch can on my old s3 and was a excellent bit of kit.

Unless you do the full rtech pcv delete then fitting one of the forge, 034 Motorsport kits etc is pointless as the intake will still get clogged up via the rear pcv feed on the can cover, albeit slightly slower it will still happen.

Where do get that sakamochi catch can from?

And why is your car not running right?

Can't remember mate it's that long ago.

It's fine now mate but needed a new pcv valve and DV. Running spot on now.

well I seem to have come to a standstill on this for now, I haven't really progressed that far to be honest and there now appear to be a lot of conflicting reports about many of the kits not really doing much of an improved job over the original setup.
Decided to channel funds elsewell on the car for now.
rob

The kits don't rob unless you go for the rtech full delete kit then fit your own catch can.

The over kits only block off the pcv system at the front of the rocker cover but leave the one to the rear, this in turn means the rear can produce more oil which is free to run into the turbo then into the intake system

ah right, i'll need to look into retch a bit more then, it will have to wait for a few weeks now as i have already raided the car slush fund piggy bank 3 times this week and its getting a bit low again...thanks for the info dani on the subject.
rob

I've seen haha, bet your Mrs is loving you at the minute then.

Anytime matey.

from many years experience dani I have learnt to keep some funds well and truly hidden from my good lady, its not that I don't want her to know about it , more a case of does she really need know about it, all my automotive spending is self generating.
i'll just sell kit I don't need anymore to fund kit I want now, doesn't affect the wife at all....well thats my story and i'm sticking to it...lol

Haha I like it, I too have a car account that I do the same with, but and sell etc but of late it's got very very low :(.

I'm also going with R-Tech Full PCV delete. But unfortunately R-Tech wont sell any more. You can catch sometimes somebody selling on TFSI Tuning Forum on facebook.

How come they aren't selling them any more? They only brought this out a year ago!

I think they only reselling and branding. And it wast enough profitable. They had final clearance few weeks ago.

If if have known they we're discounting it is have forked out for one.

so that setup is a non starter now then...back to plan A now.

For me unless you totally delete the pcv system then it's a pointless task Rob.

Surely someone will step in and fill the void in the market now rtech are stopping production.

Is there a link for this please and if it's that sought after then I want one... Don't even know what it is or if I even need it - I'll worry about that later.

Having purchase this is there anything else that need buying with regards to the pcv issue? I take it this is better than the oem pcv set up? If it solves the issue then saves me buying the oem pcv and gasket

100% better than the oem system will stop your valves getting covered in oil and will never fail fit and forget

Reactions: phil_w and Nozrul Islam
It does solve the pcv issue mate, you still need a new gasket though. Also be careful venting to atmosphere as you may get a string oily smell in the cabin, try to point the vents away from the cabin.

Reactions: Nozrul Islam
Haha, your a very bad influence mate. I will be but not yet, I'm going to fit a catch can at the same time then vent back into the block. 2 reasons.

1. I've lived with a vented system before and hated the smell, made me gag when the heating was on
2. Aslong as the catch is of good quality it'll still catch the oil vapour and crap into the can and help stop a lot of the build up, yes the air going back into the system isn't as good as fresh air but it will be de-oiled.

Okay, catch can... how much are we talking about and above all is it a DIY job?

since changing my engine oil to an ester 5-40 etc my consumption has dropped a fair bit , well its a much better situation to be honest ,so , as I changed to the newer pcv last year i'm happy to stay as I am for the time being.
I also give the old bus a good run and keep it over the 3k mark for a while so that burns off any surplus build up from low engine usage and around town driving.

since changing my engine oil to an ester 5-40 etc my consumption has dropped a fair bit , well its a much better situation to be honest ,so , as I changed to the newer pcv last year i'm happy to stay as I am for the time being.
I also give the old bus a good run and keep it over the 3k mark for a while so that burns off any surplus build up from low engine usage and around town driving.
Italian tune eh Rob haha.

With the Rtech kit, can the engine cover still be used?
Which catch can you going for Dani?

I doubt it mate, I think it would foul the pipes.

I'll be getting the same one I had in the s3, sakamochi, ain't cheap by any means, but they are the best on the market.

Oh dear, I spent ages painting the engine cover and making it cheesy looking as possible and now there's a possibility I can't use it no more!