2.0tfsi FWD clutch replacement

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
I think the time is swiftly coming to get the clutch changed on my bus, I've been putting it off for a while already.

Im thinking of going down the LUK or Sachs route for a new clutch and flywheel and looking on autodoc those two parts in LUK form are around £420ish. Way cheaper than euro wrong parts. Unless anyone has any other recommendations for parts suppiers?

Also i intend to take on the job myself as i have all the necessary tools and garage equipment for the job, my only concern is a little bit of prior research suggest people often opt to remove the engine to fit a new clutch. I planned on allow the rear of the engine and box to drop at the rear to gain access to the upper bellhousing bolts. Has anyone successful chnaged a clutch in this way? I think must be achievable without pulling the engine.

So any advise and recommendations is as always appreciated:icon thumright:

Morning Alex,
Its that dreaded clutch time then.
I need to get mine replaced at some point aswell ,its on 83k ish miles and the original so has lasted quite well thus far, it has been on my todo list for a fair while now but I've just been putting it off as it still works pretty well.
On the quattro its a bigger job than 2wd variants , if you have the means to do it , which you do then worth a go as it will save you a lot of labour charges.
There was an excellent youtube vid (UK member) that showed doing both and the 2wd did look pretty straight forward without removing the engine, I'll see if its still online Alex.

What milage is your car on now?
Taking the engine is bigger job to b honest and not really needed on the 2wd , Autodoc, we wont even mention them ...
ECP do the correct oem part for the BUL engine aswell , its a LUK unit.

I put a luk clutch kit in my car £175 from gsm car parts and a new Sachs slave cylinder the dual mass was ok

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Morning Alex,
Its that dreaded clutch time then.
I need to get mine replaced at some point aswell ,its on 83k ish miles and the original so has lasted quite well thus far, it has been on my todo list for a fair while now but I've just been putting it off as it still works pretty well.
On the quattro its a bigger job than 2wd variants , if you have the means to do it , which you do then worth a go as it will save you a lot of labour charges.
There was an excellent youtube vid (UK member) that showed doing both and the 2wd did look pretty straight forward without removing the engine, I'll see if its still online Alex.

What milage is your car on now?
Taking the engine is bigger job to b honest and not really needed on the 2wd , Autodoc, we wont even mention them ...
ECP do the correct oem part for the BUL engine aswell , its a LUK unit.

Afternoon Rob
what kind of defects are you experiencing to require a clutch change out of curiosity? My car is currently on 118k and i also suspect it is the original clutch, but with the way in which Audi decided to mount the engine and box making it slightly more awkward and heavy work, I've been putting mine for as long as possible!

if you can still find that vid Rob that would be great, I might also give ECP a call then and see what trade discount I can get too:icon thumright:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Might be an idea to change slave cylinder for peace of mind while the box is out there about 45 -50 pound for a Sachs sorry Alex it’s gsf car parts there is one in Sheffield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be an idea to change slave cylinder for peace of mind while the box is out there about 45 -50 pound for a Sachs sorry Alex it’s gsf car parts there is one in Sheffield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill bare that in mind fella, thanks for the heads up!

Afternoon Rob
what kind of defects are you experiencing to require a clutch change out of curiosity? My car is currently on 118k and i also suspect it is the original clutch, but with the way in which Audi decided to mount the engine and box making it slightly more awkward and heavy work, I've been putting mine for as long as possible!

if you can still find that vid Rob that would be great, I might also give ECP a call then and see what trade discount I can get too:icon thumright:

Overall the operation of the clutch is ok, not quite a smooth when changing as it used to be but nothing that i'd say indicated the clutch was excessively worn.
pedal feels good and no obvious issues with slipping etc , that said i did have some slipping episodes but only a couple and that was nearly 4 years ago.
I know the DMF is due to be changed as i had a period of rattling 2 years ago and it was diagnosed as the dmf starting to wear, touch wood its all been behaving itself thus far though.
Quattro's do seem to be more prone to slippage issues when worn, moreso than the 2wd variants.
As I'm embarking on a slight power increase it seems only sensible to replace it before hand as any more bhp will most likely just finish it off, well if that doesn't the remapping will.

compared to a lot of car brands the B7 is not the worse job , but is not the best either.

I am temped to give the gearbox a decent oil change and see if that helps smooth out things more, the gearchange is miles better having replaced both engine mounts.

LUK is the one to go for

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Charlie Farley
I think LUK will be my go too. Also done a little digging on the web and the box looks easy enough to remove bar a couple of fiddly little bits. Will probably change the juice too while im there.

Im planning on getting all the bits and bobs of mechanical work done as soon as really and a full fluid change is on the list, well the PAS fluid will be the only one left to deal with once the gearbox and brakes have been done