2.0tfsi engines

ckl139

Reaction score
hi, looking to get an a6 and these engines seem rare. Two key questions

1. Are they good engines in this range ? I see that they are 168ps whereas my b7 cab is 197ps. Can only assume different engine altogether.

2. Do these suffer from oil consumption issue - is it worth avoiding altogether because of this ?

Years in question are 2010/ 11.

Hi all.....any views on this ? Especially point 2.

Car is still available but not making move because of this. I’d add it doesn’t have full Audi history but has been service primarily from an Indy.

Hi Mate
I believe the A4 B8 and the a5's were known for it really well to drink alot of oil and the pistons/cylinders would get worn if people didnt top it up every so often.
Off the top of my head, i think it was only an issue for the a6 after 2009 but it might be on the years as i can't seem to remember at the moment

Hi. Thanks for the response.

That’s interesting as i thought engine were same ?

Year in question for me are A6 2010 /2011

how much you looking to spend on the A6, and have you thought about the 3.0TFSI engine, as they known to be really reliable engine plus you would have quattro.
Thing to remember is that the a6 is a really heavy car, its probably best to see the difference between mpg in real life between the 2 engines.

Reactions: ckl139
@B5NUT can you help with some technical information behind this as you have alot more knowledge behind Audi's

how much you looking to spend on the A6, and have you thought about the 3.0TFSI engine, as they known to be really reliable engine plus you would have quattro.
Thing to remember is that the a6 is a really heavy car, its probably best to see the difference between mpg in real life between the 2 engines.

This is a slightly different debate. But for completeness 2.0t go for around £8- 9k where as 3t are £11k +these will tend to be older too so I couldn’t justify that money.

I’d like to understand view in oil consumption issue on 2.0t as that’s more my focus,

Might be worth messaging/ringing Audi, I couldn't find a concrete answer when I was trying to find out. I found a couple of sources that said the A6 C6 had the EA133 right up until the end of production.

In which case It should just be the usual light oil consumption and EA133 problems you have to deal with. Rather than the litre a week then 'you need a new engine mate' problems you get with the EA888.

p.s If the cars an auto, it'll also have the multi-trauma CVT gearbox, which is also worth avoiding.

So is the EA133 and EA888 oil consuming?

Can I get picture and confirm do you think?

Seller says the oil consumption is on chain driven and not on belt driven.

He says his car Is belt driven

Is this what you mean?

Only looking at manuals

So is the EA133 and EA888 oil consuming?

AFAIK The serious oil consumption, followed sometimes by engine failure/rebuild, was the Longitudinal EA888.

The Ea133 can use a bit of oil, but as far as I know, it's not due to a manufacturing fault with the piston rings that requires a rebuild like the EA888.

Can I get picture and confirm do you think?

Yes someone should be able to tell you the difference if you can get a picture and post it.

Seller says the oil consumption is on chain driven and not on belt driven.

Yes I believe the EA888 (chain driven cams) was the one with the serious issues, not the belt driven EA133.

I'm no expert by any stretch, I just did a bit of digging when considering an A5 TFSI, so get confirmation to your satisfaction before you get your wallet out.

@B5NUT can you help with some technical information behind this as you have alot more knowledge behind Audi's

Sorry cannot really help if your looking at the 2.0TFSI engine. TDI's were in most of the A6's sold mainly the 2.0TDi & 3.0TDI closely followed by the 2.7TDI for the C6. Over the years I've not heard of any horror stories about the petrol engines in the A6, but like all cars it comes down to how well they have been serviced.

Also I don't believe the A6 got the engines from the B8 A4 range, the facelift started in 2008 and only ran 3 years, don't think it was in Audi's interest to stick the new engines in the car , the only ones I have seen are the BJP & BYK engine codes.

Sorry cannot really help if your looking at the 2.0TFSI engine. TDI's were in most of the A6's sold mainly the 2.0TDi & 3.0TDI closely followed by the 2.7TDI for the C6. Over the years I've not heard of any horror stories about the petrol engines in the A6, but like all cars it comes down to how well they have been serviced.

Also I don't believe the A6 got the engines from the B8 A4 range, the facelift started in 2008 and only ran 3 years, don't think it was in Audi's interest to stick the new engines in the car , the only ones I have seen are the BJP & BYK engine codes.

From my understanding then ....

- BJP and BYK are EA113.
- EA113 doesn’t suffer the extreme oil consumption issue.

Is my summary correct ?

If so I believe this car for this issue at least should be clear of it?

I'm not 100% sure on EA numbers, but I've never heard of the oil consumption issue affecting the C6 and the C6 has been obsolete for many years, so I don't believe you will have a problem.