2.0tfsi BUL engine advice

mdm83

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to buy a 2006 a4 2.0 tfsi special edition with the BUL engine. From looking on forums I'm a bit concerned over the problems that can arise from these engine which are costly to fix. My audi mechanic who looks after my cars says that these need to get the oil feeder/sender pipe replaced ASAP to avoid problems, but the worrying one is the balance shaft (think that's what it's called) which is a £1000 part. He says that the only way of knowing is basically to take a look at it to see if it's going to give any problems- which obviously you can't do when looking to buy the car.
Im not usually in the way of ignoring his advice but what has thrown me is that he said there are loads of the BUL engines that have been perfectly fine and won't give any problems but if I buy one of the bad eggs it's £1000+ bill!
On the other hand he says the the 200bhp 2.0 tfsi engine (bgb etc) are far more reliable but get the oil pipe replaced ASAP.

the dilemma I have is that I'm struggling to find a 2.0 tfsi 200bhp with the spec and lowish miles that I want, but I can go collect a BUL special edition today that has everything I want. Also finding one that hasn't been on the stupid longlife service plan is proving to be a nightmare but that's another argument.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi I'm looking to buy a 2006 a4 2.0 tfsi special edition with the BUL engine. From looking on forums I'm a bit concerned over the problems that can arise from these engine which are costly to fix. My audi mechanic who looks after my cars says that these need to get the oil feeder/sender pipe replaced ASAP to avoid problems, but the worrying one is the balance shaft (think that's what it's called) which is a £1000 part. He says that the only way of knowing is basically to take a look at it to see if it's going to give any problems- which obviously you can't do when looking to buy the car.
Im not usually in the way of ignoring his advice but what has thrown me is that he said there are loads of the BUL engines that have been perfectly fine and won't give any problems but if I buy one of the bad eggs it's £1000+ bill!
On the other hand he says the the 200bhp 2.0 tfsi engine (bgb etc) are far more reliable but get the oil pipe replaced ASAP.

the dilemma I have is that I'm struggling to find a 2.0 tfsi 200bhp with the spec and lowish miles that I want, but I can go collect a BUL special edition today that has everything I want. Also finding one that hasn't been on the stupid longlife service plan is proving to be a nightmare but that's another argument.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I thought it was the BGB engine that was the most troublesome, not the BUL? I've had mine going on 4 years and never seen the issues you have mentioned, but I've don everything it's ever required.
Chain and tensioner was the most costly job for me along with a cambelt and water pump. Pick up pipe is worth doing for the sake of it.

I would have a quick search and see what others have posted as these questions spring up in a regular basis.

All of the common faults are on here with most answers ready for you to read.

Good luck with your potential purchase!

Thanks, I almost bought a dtm but pulled out of it due to the seller being a total idiot and being vague about work being carried out on the car, he bought the car for £8000 six months ago and wants to get rid for £6000- something wrong there!
The dtm are BUL engines so I think that's what's made me paranoid!

I've owned a 2006 A4 2.0TFSI SLine SE since 2009 @40k miles. It's now on 85k miles and the engine (BUL) itself has been fine. It's on a longlife service schedule, but I do an extra oil change myself midway through the cycle.

I have an intermittent temperature gauge problem, which is likely a stuck thermostat. I am not skilled enough to change it myself and I was quoted £300ish for the garage to do it.

I would say go for the BUL and take the risk. It's a great engine and I think still quicker than the current gen of 2.0T A4s? On my daily commute (72 miles 60% motorway, 40% A/B roads) I get 33mpg.

The BUL engine came in the DTMs as well as the special edition. If the book or quoted figure is 220hp then it has a BUL.

The only main concern would be the pick up as suggested or the chain and tensioner at the rear of the motor.

The chain and tensioner are more prone to having issues around the 85-100 k miles mark.

Regarding the balance shaft. Don't quote me on this but most of the later 06 and some of the early 06 had the revised part for the balance shaft issue from what I have seen personally.

Any turbo car is always suggested to have more frequent oil changes and using the correct oil. Even if the car has been on long life doesnt mean the owner didnt change the oil during the long changes. Besides these cars are kinda of prone to drinking oil so if someone with abit of car sense they would keep a eye on there oil level and wuold change the oil when its getting bad.

I've owned a 2006 A4 2.0TFSI SLine SE since 2009 @40k miles. It's now on 85k miles and the engine (BUL) itself has been fine. It's on a longlife service schedule, but I do an extra oil change myself midway through the cycle.

I have an intermittent temperature gauge problem, which is likely a stuck thermostat. I am not skilled enough to change it myself and I was quoted £300ish for the garage to do it.

I would say go for the BUL and take the risk. It's a great engine and I think still quicker than the current gen of 2.0T A4s? On my daily commute (72 miles 60% motorway, 40% A/B roads) I get 33mpg.

That thermostat quote is very expensive. I think you should look for a second quote. The part is only £25-30. And its 1 hours labour.

Which even if they charged £75 for a hour it will only be £120 at the most.

Mines on 107k now and I've always stuck to long life service intervals. I only do 16 miles per day in it. I've also done a hefty conversion on it that it seems to like. I'm overall impressed with the engine. But as said earlier, I've left nothing to chance. Just spend some time looking for a good one.

If it's true that 2006 cars have the revised balance shaft it would be a massive relief since that's the potential big bill! I don't suppose audi recognise the problem/fault...........? 😡

The point about longlife servicing is just my personal preference as my last car was a s3 225 bam which I oil changed every 6k miles and it ran sweet. I just think with turbo engines your cat do enough oil changes- but like I say that's just me, on the other hand I refuse to put supermarket fuel in my car thus showing I probably believe every scare story I read

If it's true that 2006 cars have the revised balance shaft it would be a massive relief since that's the potential big bill! I don't suppose audi recognise the problem/fault...........? ������

the cam chain and tensioners failing is your biggest worry. The above second so i would put it..

Hi guys, I thought the oil pump fault was the pick up pipe and the diesels were where the balance shaft problems happen?

So was it a fault on the bul engines or is this the pickup pipe thats a fault on the bul?

as far as I was aware on the BUL the pickup pipe was most prone to clogging and the part to change really.

Think I will look into getting this done, any ideas on cost?

I'm sure balance shaft is the 170 tdi. With the bam 1.8t which I had in my cupra r, short life was best for them. Apparently not the case with the TFSI. I'd just have the pick up pipe, chain and tensioner, plus the cambelt and water pump done. Don't think you will go far wrong after that. I did all of that long before I started tuning it.

Thanks for the replies when I buy the car I will be getting the pipe replaced and will get him to look at the chain, how much is it to get the chain/tensioners done?

the pickup pipe is £40. then labour is the other part f the cost. The chain etc isnt cheap labour wise at all.

Thanks for the replies when I buy the car I will be getting the pipe replaced and will get him to look at the chain, how much is it to get the chain/tensioners done?

Chain and tensioner with other bits needed is £160 trade and around £200 i would think for retail. All audi parts of course.

The labour last time I checked can be anything from 5-7 hours. Its a shame you cant do them at the same time as the at the opposite ends of the engine. Pick up being under the sump which if you have a quattro the sub-frame either has to be removed or the mounts undone and engines lifted. And the timing chain and tensioner is at the rear at the engine.

What i forgot to mention in previous posts as I have touched on this topic about 5 times this week.

If you can get your vehicle scanned. If it has the fault code.

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

90% of the time its the timing chain and tensioner.

Is the 2.0t in the a3 the same as these engines? Only asking as there seem to be a lot more of them to choose from than the a4, I must admit that I much prefer the a4's looks but id maybe settle for a sportback a3.

Is the 2.0t in the a3 the same as these engines? Only asking as there seem to be a lot more of them to choose from than the a4, I must admit that I much prefer the a4's looks but id maybe settle for a sportback a3.

The 2.0t a3 only have the 200hp motor. Basically the same one that comes in the Golf 5 GTI, you dont get the 220 hp like you get in the A4 DTM or A4 special edition.

Only the 2012 models have the 220 hp but sadly only in Auto. Unless thats your thing.

Engine codes
AXX / BPY / BWA / CAWB - 2.0t engines in the A3 (2004-2008)
CCZA - 2009 - 2013

The AXX early Golf 5 GTi and BWA in the later Golf 5 gti.

Thanks.for the info mate.
So.is.the general consensus that the bul engine is fine if it's been well serviced with the pipe etc done?
If.not.I'm buying a ****** horse haha

Thanks.for the info mate.
So.is.the general consensus that the bul engine is fine if it's been well serviced with the pipe etc done?
If.not.I'm buying a ****** horse haha

Reactions: imotepify
I'd just listen out for excessive chain noise from the rear, and long life servicing. Think you'll be fine

The labour last time I checked can be anything from 5-7 hours. Its a shame you cant do them at the same time as the at the opposite ends of the engine. Pick up being under the sump which if you have a quattro the sub-frame either has to be removed or the mounts undone and engines lifted. And the timing chain and tensioner is at the rear at the engine.

So would I be right in saying you wouldn't have to drop the subframe on a FWD model?

As I have had a quote from Midland VW for this and the bloke said it wouldn't be cheap as the subframe has to be dropped...

So would I be right in saying you wouldn't have to drop the subframe on a FWD model?

As I have had a quote from Midland VW for this and the bloke said it wouldn't be cheap as the subframe has to be dropped...

Engine still sits longitudinal even in the front wheel drive model, so imagine it would be the same job

Reactions: bigmoylan
Well I went to Edinburgh to look at the a4 special edition, car drove well but the body work let it down. No rust or major dings but some one has been too enthusiastic with a buffer and you can seen swirl marks on the bonnet, I also got the impression that it had been bumped at some point, bonnet was out of line and looked "cloudy".
Anyway I'm now the proud owner of a a3 sportback 2.0t special edition 2006 model which has the newer golf gti engine. Very happy with 😄
Thanks again for the advice chaps

Reactions: imotepify
Hope u enjoy your new car, we have only had the DTM a week and are loving every second of it lol