2.0TDi Quattro- Miles per tank

DJW84

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site as I have bought my first A4, which is 2.0Tdi Quattro 190 s line.

I've currently done 669 miles over the course of one month.

My question is how many miles per tank do you get?

My first full tank of diesel cost £60 to fill from empty and returned 450miles (other 219miles were on the dealers supplied fuel) I'm onto my second tank of fuel and filled it up again with £60.

My driving style has been very easy going as it is the first 1000miles and trying to break the car in gently.

What is everyone else returning? I personally don't think that's a great return for a car claiming urban 54.3mpg - mine is currently sitting nearer 39mpg and I've had a good couple of longer journeys within the month also?!

I'm hoping this will improve once it starts to 'loosen' up a little

What's your thoughts? Thanks

No real world experience as I haven't got mine yet but...

- new car will always be less fuel efficient as everything beds in
- t,o work out your real fuel usage you need to brim your tank each time and work it back from there.

The tank holds 58l/12.75gallons so I'd expect around 575 to the tank (near empty) which is around 45-48mpg but this totally depends on driving style/temperature/traffic conditions.

Reactions: DJW84
I have the 190 tdi but front wheel drive stronic with 5.5k miles on it but even on a 35 mile trip with 4 mile country roads and rest motorway I rarely see anything over 50 but my 150 a3 would be way over 60mpg. I'm quite disappointed, although on a positive note a mate of mine has same as you and got over 60mpg on a run up north last week

I have the 3.0 218Q and I'm currently getting just over 500 miles from a full tank driving in comfort mode and switching to economy for the last 70 miles. The cars currently at 1,600 miles and seems to be getting a little better each time I refuel. Just hang in there mate im sure it'll get better over time

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2.0 quattro driver, similar millage - 700. Last 4 cars have been VAG, 1 petrol 3 diesels - I'm been lucky to get their urban figures with my daily drive and driving habits - 30 miles mway and 5 miles A road so I should be way up in the 60s right. Well no, partly because the claims are lies based on defeat devices and partly because euro testing is a joke to begin with and uncharacteristic of normal road use.

Haven't ranged a full tank in the B9 yet as I tend too fill up long before empty and its a brand new engine so unlikely to provide any reasonable reference point. So far at least direct comparison of my commute to my previous GTD on same roads and same driver shows 13% improvement, typically avgeraged 42 in the GTD vs 48 in the A4. I'm happy enough with that on a brand new engine vs 30k old engine although I am taking it easier than I did in the golf for now. I did manage to get the Golf past 60mpg on the same route on a desperate quest not to stop at a petrol station once or twice, so im sure the same is possible in the A4, just all a bit too much effort for me personally.

Probably need some avaerage speed figures to take a meaningfull view/comparison amongst drivers here. This mornings woeful journey below...over an hour to do 30 miles mway, 5 miles A road, terrible traffic/conditions and 2 lanes closed on Thellwall. A mix of dynamic on the move and efficiency in stop start trafiic - mostly stop... no idea what I did on the way home, too busy dodgy trees and temporary road signs!

Environment makes a difference - hot/cold outside, road gradient etc - I drive inland on the way to work and back to the coast on the way home. You don't really notice that you are going up or downhill, but mpg improves significantly on the way home.

I'll run this tank down and let you know as my long term counters got reset just before I last filled it, thanks to Audis switch it off and on again 'fix' for my ECU issue mentioned elsewhere.

Attachments

• 20170223_094515.jpg
    20170223_094515.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Reactions: duckduck and DJW84
Thanks for all of the above comments!

My average speed on my long term memory is reading 21mph and 39mpg.

I did think it would take a few thousand miles to see figures improve. I'm hoping it's going to settle nearer the 50mpg eventually.

My journey to and from work is pretty flat apart from one steep hill, then big drop at other side so balances itself out and I'm kept moving generally albeit a few traffic lights along the way.

Interesting that when I filled the first time the fuel display said 450miles to empty.

What does others say when they have a full tank? Obviously this doesn't mean much but interested to know ...

All the replies above have settled me (first brand new car) so thanks - I'll bide my time and see how it goes over next few months.

Aardvaark, maybe one day I'll get somewhere closer to 550per tank and I'd be happy

I've got a GTD at present (like @ANX had) and get between 45-50 on average although spirited driving gets me nearer 35!!

I'm hoping the A5 will settle down around 45!

As others have said you should see a steady rise in mpg as your mileage increases, our 3.oTDi 218Q avant is now easily doing between 550-630 per tank on a run, when using cruise we can eek out a bit more out too, so real world 52mpg+ on a long run, short A-B road runs average around 40+mpg.

Drove to Stansted (from Leeds) last Saturday and then back this Wednesday, brimmed the car with fuel prior, did around 40miles before leaving and covered total of about 400miles, still showing a range of 195miles when we returned - wasn't driving like Miss Daisy or using cruise either.

For reference our mileage is now 10.7k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buck, blackb9er and DJW84
They do say that but, in my experience, this has never been the case. I've seen up to 65 average mpg on my A3 1.4 on a brand new engine. It never improved over that after 17,000 miles...

Those of you who have recently got your cars- it's worth noting the impact that the cold weather has on the mpg. I've had mine since May, and recently passed 10,000 miles.

If you look at the red line on the graph below (from an app called Road Trip), you can see that after the initial bed-in my average mpg steadily rose, to a peak of around 52-53 in September. It's steadily decreased since October and now hovers around 46. My driving style has remained constant throughout- spirited in dynamic at times, but a cruise in efficiency at other times.

The Diesel engine obviously struggles a little in the cold- but I'll be glad when my extra 7+ mpg comes back once spring has sprung...

(Here's hoping!!)

Attachments

• IMG_6731.PNG
    IMG_6731.PNG
    61.3 KB · Views: 252
With the A4 diesel loaner I had whilst mine was having its gearbox repaired it was very apparent how many miles it took to get not only the engine warm but inside the cabin as well compared with my car. Having said that petrol engines also have a reduced mpg in the cold as well..

Only had 3 oil burners but this one warms up the quickest by far. There's an option to switch off the extra fast interior heat so it warms up the engine quicker but I'd like the windscreen defrosted please :) Apparently it's a small water circuit straight off the cylinder head into the heater matrix. But yeah, an ice cold engine is the bane of diesel economy.

Diesels usually have a electric ptc heater, my mondeo 2.0l diesel had one and it really aided warming up the cabin quicker. I don't know if the A4 has one though I would thought the increased load on the alternator would also reduce the mpg.

Mine has a "supplementary heater" (tick box in MMI) and warms up easily on my commute to work of 2.5miles. My 150bhp diesel is averaging 48-51mpg knocking about, worked out using old fashioned maths.

Mine has a "supplementary heater" (tick box in MMI) and warms up easily on my commute to work of 2.5miles. My 150bhp diesel is averaging 48-51mpg knocking about, worked out using old fashioned maths.
Where abouts is that option on the MMI?

Reactions: Jcbmally
As requested, soz for the poor quality.

Upload 2017 2 26 19 5 21

Upload 2017 2 26 19 6 8

Upload 2017 2 26 19 6 28

Reactions: yuppyflyer and A4B9
Perfect, thank you very much sir!

Yes that is another name for the ptc heater not to be confused with a auxilary heater though...

Going off topic here:

How are people finding the suspension? The reason I ask is when going over bumps / pot holes on the road etc there is a 'banging' type noise coming from the rear? The boot is empty.

Any ideas what this could be? Or is it a trip to the dealers?

Have you checked the space saver; tools? Most likely something loose there?

Tightened everything up when I got in from work tonight. Hopefully be 'clunk/bang' free tomorrow!

Reactions: Buck