2.0TDI loss of power, jerky revs.....

junglist_matty

Reaction score
Nightmare scenario..... Had the car serviced on Friday last week ready for driving down to Chamonix.... About 50km out of the tunnel in France I slowed up for the first toll booth, took my ticket and started accelerating, then no smoke, no bad noise, no engine lights and the car totally lost power..... Managed to get up to about 60mph in 6th gear and kept it there, but it wasn't at all happy, it was jerking, and if i put my foot to the floor, nothing happened. Going uphill had to drop down to 3rd gear and climb at about 40mph.... When stationary, taking off was a nightmare, foot to the floor, engine had a terrible sound like vr vr vr vr vr vrrrrrr, vr vr vr vr vr vrrrrr (repeated about 6-10 times), but the rev's stayed around 10000-15000, then suddenly it would catch and the revs would rise to about 3000 and I'd release the clutch and we'd be away.....

Managed to drive all the way to Chamonix then right outside our hotel it konked out totally and we had to push it to the parking space.... Tried turning it over again, it started but couldn't maintain idle and after about 5-10 seconds it just died out and turned off.

After some intial reading, it seems it's the EGR valve, but surely there would be an engine warning light? It's weird that the car isn't indicating any errors when it's running as bad as this!? Maybe even a blocked or faulty injector? Maybe a faulty fuel pump?