2.0TDI Hesitation / Service Fix

Mahatma

Reaction score
My A3 2 litre TDI goes in for it's first service next week. It has a hesitation at 2400rpm on a changing throttle, it's not there when you drive through that engine speed on a constant throttle.

It seems to have got worse recently, does anyone know what causes it and can it be sorted at the service ... or is it a case of they all do it?

thanks

Andy

p.s. I did search first but couldn't find anything.

Do you mean if you come off the throttle and then back on you get a slight jerk/hesitation because mine does the same thing and also when feathering the throttle on flat roads to maintain speed sometimes.

My car went in for a flash update but it still does it from time to time. My car has only covered a few thousand miles so is'nt ready for a service for quite some time.

Tell us what they say after the delaer has evaluated this problem. Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

Mine too.

I've got a 04 with 60k+ on it and it has had the same thing from the day i got it (18mths & 43k ago). I have had a re-flash and a new MAF and no change. They say there is nothing more they can do and I can't get them to recreate it everytime so the stealer can't be *****.

I have learnt to live with it but if you can find out i'd love to know.

Cheers

DK

Well it came back from the service yesterday exactly the same in terms of the hesitation. In fact, the dealer didn't even call me to let me know if they looked at the problem, I'm going to call them tomrrow.

However, since the service my DIS is indicating that the fuel economy seems to have dropped 7~10mpg on my normal journeys.

Completely bizarre.

Andy

I had the same hesitation on my 1.9TDi, and it turned out being the EGR valve. I'm not sure what it does, something to do with the exhaust gases being recirculated through the turbo.

I have had this problem, my first A3 54 plate 2.0Tdi Sport Sportback , it was back to the dealership several times and at one point they had it for 4 weeks! Surprise Surprise they could not get it to repeat the fault.

After spending far to much time at the dealership not getting any further forward and only owning the car for 6 months we decided to complain in writing, after a lot of tooing and froing they agreed to buy the car back, not at the price we had paid though, however they offered us any other second-hand car at cost plus £50. I ended up with a better car a 55 plate 2.0 Tdi S-Line Quattro 3dr for a small extra cost.

However this one is now doing the same fault, not as bad though. I haven't had this one back in yet, no point I think and have now resigned myself to the fact that this must be a quirk of the engine?
:think:

hello

I have a 2006 2.0 TDI S line DSG covered 25,000 miles and it has the same fault.

the problem must be caused by the EGR valve (Exhaust gas Recirculation valve) this valve lets a proportion of the exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold for the engine to burn again, its a way of keeping the particulates down and the NoX.

I have disconnected the vacume pipe that operates the valve. but the engine management light comes on. :( so it had to be reconnected. But whilst disconnected it did stop the fault. I have also tried blocking off the pipe that carries the exhaust gaes, but the engine management light still comes on.

I have heard that you can change the ammount of times the EGR valve opens with VAG COM. But I am not sure on this.

Does anyone have VAG COM experience ???????????

Have had similar (slight) hesitation with a VW Touran 2 TDi: workshop manager thought perhaps one of the 'PDs' but unable to find fault through diagnostics (he agreed the hesitation was there after driving the car). Co-incidentally while looking for another fault at the same time (intermittent cut out of ventilation they eventually got notice from VW that an airflow temperature sensor is a known prob. After two months (!) replacement part arrived, fitted, hesitation appears to have gone and mpg improved about 10%.... Odd. Now awaiting a Sportback 2 TDi for January delivery, can't wait!!