2.0tdi Decat and dpf removal benefits?

Alex Ward

Reaction score
Morning folks.
I've recently fitted a K&N panel filter and had custom made cat back stainless exhaust fitted.
I'm now wondering if I should get it de-catted or cat bypass (are they the same thing?) and maybe dpf removal and egr delete. These are things I have concerns about but am intrigued.
Will a decat fail an mot?
What benefits of any would I get from any or all of the above mods?
I'd like my car to sound nicer, be a little quicker and not lose too much mpg.
And before anyone asks, I didn't get the 3.0tdi as I do a lot of miles and wanted the cheapest option to run lol. Hence the 2.0tdi non Quattro!!!
I'd also get it mapped after if I did any of these mods.
Thanks in advance guys.

I'm now wondering if I should get it de-catted or cat bypass (are they the same thing?) yes they are

Will a decat fail an mot? technically yes (cat & dpf that is, egr is fine to do away with permanently) although many garages will pass them, you could always keep them and reinstall for the MOT

What benefits of any would I get from any or all of the above mods? power gains will be small but it will feel better and more responsive

I'd like my car to sound nicer, be a little quicker and not lose too much mpg. to be honest, you will probably gain mpg, unless it makes you have a heavy foot haha

I'd also get it mapped after if I did any of these mods. a custom map would give you the biggest gain, especially coupled with all of these mods and the ones you've already done

answers in red for you :)

Reactions: 344bigal and Alex Ward
I deleted the cat and EGR on mine (no DPF anyway) and it does sound nicer, quicker turbo spool and noise too

Reactions: Alex Ward
EGR & DPF deleted off mine and it is definitely quicker but smoother. It sounds nicer also as you can really hear the gases getting forced out of the exhaust.

hers my 140 tdi, milltec exhaust with no middle box, back boxes only, egr delete and de cat.

Sounds like a Taxi that pal....

cooking_witch_2.gif~c200

Reactions: tony mc
hers my 140 tdi, milltec exhaust with no middle box, back boxes only, egr delete and de cat.

That sounds great. What I'm looking for really. What's it like in the cabin on the motorway? I do a fair few motorway miles so I don't want it to be too intrusive. I want the wooshes and whistles lol but not loads of volume.

to be honest i was a little disappointed when i first got it done, as i can't hear that exhaust note in the car, even with the window down, but i know what it sounds like so its all good, its loud enough when your behind the car, i have a bloke at work that try's to follow me home every night coz he loves the sound of it lol,

Scary , are you sure it's the car he's after :worked till 5am:

Reactions: tony mc, Alex Ward and carlcall
He might just be following you to find out where you live as he loves your behind and not the the sound of the car at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tony mc and Alex Ward
want a pic boys see if you lot are into it as well ha, ha.

you should see him, if he's in front he'll pull over and wave me past so he can listen to it, i think he will be the next owner of it in the future, i'm thinking of getting an s3 sportback next year so i might have to part with the avant to help fund it, although if i can i will keep the avant

Oooh wheel spin, I forgot what that sounds like " shouts QUATTRO in his head"

It does sounds good for a diesel though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSTHRILLER and tony mc