2.0TDi CR engine tuning options

spencer361

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently sold my '07 2.0TDI 140 BKD sportback to a friend as I was moving away. I had a Darkside hybrid turbo, EGR delete, S3 intercooler, alloy boost pipes and a custom remap.

I'm now looking the newer generation engine, around a 10/11 plate. I've been trying to search for tuning posts and if anyone has tuned them up? It will then help me decide whether I need a 170 from the start, or I can go for a 140 again and in time bolt a few things on.

For the same price of a 170 (with or without quattro) WITHOUT options, you can get hold of a 140 with sat nav and heated seats. In 4 years, I did 90,000 miles in my last A3. The majority of those across Europe and in the Alps. Spending that much time in the cabin, its nice to have those things around you.

Thoughts and comments are more than welcome below.

Appreciate the advice

I have a 140 just with a APR remap and a K&N panel filter and it's currently running 178bhp, the turbo is still strong with 120000 on the clock, when it does go I will have a hybrid fitted. From what I've heard it's better to get a 140 with a good spec and re map it etc as apparently the 170 engine isn't that good and the turbo is crap (I also know the 140 turbo isn't too strong) I might be completely wrong but that's what I thought.

Reactions: spencer361
My 09 tdi had the turbo fault!
How ever Audi do a repair kit that costs about £300 fitted, whereas before needed a new turbo £1200

Has bluefin never had any other engine issues!

Ps selling it now if interested!

I have a 140 just with a APR remap and a K&N panel filter and it's currently running 178bhp, the turbo is still strong with 120000 on the clock, when it does go I will have a hybrid fitted. From what I've heard it's better to get a 140 with a good spec and re map it etc as apparently the 170 engine isn't that good and the turbo is **** (I also know the 140 turbo isn't too strong) I might be completely wrong but that's what I thought.

In my humble opinion you're wrong.

Although the CR 140 turbo isn't made of chocolate like the BKD one was, it isn't made of much stronger stuff either. The CR 170 turbo is strong and a great starting point.

For example, if a 140 with hybrid turbo and the associated mods gets you to say, 230-240BHP, you can get to 220BHP with a CR 170 engine with a gutted DPF, EGR blanked off and a remap. Significant cost savings to be had.

If you go for a CR engine and get 2010 or newer, Audi fixed the oil pump issue as well, so there really isn't anything to worry about assuming it's been looked after and that you'll look after it too.

Also, I do love my DSG gearbox but it means that my car is front wheel drive. If you don't mind a manual gearbox, get the 170 with quattro...it will really help plant the power.

Reactions: spencer361 and Gaz170
ive got the same engine in a leon fr, dpf out and egr with a remap easy 220 bhp, can push alittle more, loads of difference between the 140 and 170, id be going for the 170, only thing is dpf out on a quattro is alot more expensive and need to remove the tranfer box etc to get the unit out, as im a fan of the quattro i think i prefer the 2wd as its lighter etc

I have a 170cr can't say anything bad about it.... Never had reliability issues. It's got a egr, dpf delete and a map. After having 140s in the past i'd day go for top spec everytime it saves you in the long run.

Cheers Guys, Appreciate the input. I've found a 170 quattro sportback and should be putting a deposit down monday.