Q5 2.0tdi buying advice

Molnboman

Reaction score
Hello

Looking to buy a used 2010 CAJA/CJCA Engine, 2.0 tdi 8R. Anything I need to be looking out for. Car has done 110k miles and should have had regular services. Any pointers would be most welcome.

Cheers
A

As with all of the 2.0 tdi, the DPF is a bit of a weak point and prone to failure but hard to test if there's no error lights. You can check with VCDS the condition if you have that handy.
Also look out for clutch judder because that shows that the clutch is on the way out.

Make sure the car pulls cleanly throughout the Rev range without any unusual turbo noises or lumpiness.

All the usual too, like full service history.

The modern engines are all proving to be really quite reliable and if the dpf does cause you trouble then you can just have it gutted and the warning mapped out :)

As with all of the 2.0 tdi, the DPF is a bit of a weak point and prone to failure but hard to test if there's no error lights. You can check with VCDS the condition if you have that handy.
Also look out for clutch judder because that shows that the clutch is on the way out.

Make sure the car pulls cleanly throughout the Rev range without any unusual turbo noises or lumpiness.

All the usual too, like full service history.

The modern engines are all proving to be really quite reliable and if the dpf does cause you trouble then you can just have it gutted and the warning mapped out :)

Thanks Kanecullen89. I managed to get a full VAG work / inspection report from friend of a friend on this car, and the vehicle looks clean with no major mechanical or insurance work carried out on it. I am just a bit freaked about buying an oil burner again, after getting my fingers severely burned years ago with a GM Alfa romeo diesel engine which was a friggin' nightmare. Hopefully, this time round should be a better experience.
Thanks for the reply anyway.
Cheers
A