2.0tdi BRD 170 low oil pressure ????

Calasp

Reaction score
Hi my A4 is dead low oil pressure light is on and I have no turbo with a strange grinding sound that I hope is just the new bar turning I know that it’s more then likely going to be the hex on the oil pump even though I was told it was done by the previous owner, where is the best place to get a new updated pump as I can only find one on eBay does anybody know of somewhere better or even cheaper I can get my hands on one?????

Prepare yourself for a new engine, once the light comes on its already too late

New engine, I don’t think it’ll need a new engine at all I hope I saved the engine
It ran absolutely bang on till the morning of the light coming on and I parked it up immediately, not one thread I’ve read on here about the same problem needed a new engine!!!

Mine went last week. My turbo was ok (touch wood). It was pretty expensive to repair tho. £850. Sorry

Could I ask a few questions.. how many miles has it done. And, how many miles since the last apparent change of the hex key

My BRD oil pump drive went at 102k miles. Took the turbo with it due to oil starvation. Engine was ok. Replaced the oil pump drive with an uprated unit and new turbo.

If you are super quick you can save the turbo by switching off the engine immediately when the low oil pressure light comes on.

I converted mine to the old 1.9 chain driven oil pump which doesn't have the balance shaft unit and doesn't have the same problems.
But it's not an easy job.
The cross member is in the way so you need to drop that. Before you can get the sump off.

Yes, I've done two, and in my opinion you can hardly tell the difference

One I did was a bkp in a VW passat Estate, which was much easier because it was a transverse with no cross member, and this one which is a blb.
You have to bung the oil feed for the balance shaft unit and chop the pick up pipe a bit.
It now takes more oil to fill up because that big unit isn't in the sump. That's the only way you would know is when you do an oil change 3.5 litres doesn't even show on the dipstick

Having an older PD and a newer 4 pot derv with twin balancer shafts and the difference is night and day .

Steering wheel and gearstick etc vibrations Vs no vibration whatsoever.

I thought the main design point of the balance shaft pump arrangement (as well as smoothness) was better oil circulation?

Yes but the old pd has just one cam, these have two, also some older pds might not have dual mass fly wheel.
I can't tell any difference.

Before vs after seems very similar it seems to pick up a bit quicker low down But that could just be the new timing belt/better timing .

I thought the main design point of the balance shaft pump arrangement (as well as smoothness) was better oil circulation?
Not really the pump and pressure relief valve is in charge of oil pressure and circulation the balance shafts are just smoothness but I believe some of these engines in other vehicles didn't have the balance shafts so they are not that important in my opinion.
I also put a smaller sprocket on the oil pump so on cold tick over mine has higher oil pressure than standard.
But that thin oil when hot brings the pressure down so hot tick over is only a little bit above what it was.