2.0TDI BKD Help needed!

Stiggles

Top Gear!
Reaction score
Ok guys, Ive seen the hard start issue threads up and down the forum, this isn't one of them, this is what I have to deal with every morning when I start the car, it also happens after its been left off for 6-8hours

I rarely get it to catch before the oil pressure light appears, has any one experienced this? Or know of the issue and what it may be?

[video]http://s778.photobucket.com/user/StigglesEire/media/VID_20140221_174053_zps7ebfc240.mp4.html[/video]

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

My starts on the button mate, i just wait for the colis to go out and it' fires straight up.You maybe just getting the low oil due to the length of time and battery voltage.When it does get running do you get the oil warning at all, or is it just on cold start up?

The coils had been out for about 30 seconds, its not saying low oil its saying oil pressure which I know is due to it turning over and over, but its why its taking so long that has me stumped :bang head:

Once the car is running it disappears, as soon as she catches theres a large puff of white/blue smoke which goes away after 2 secs, so I think thats condensation or fuel being burnt off

Yeh sorry low oil pressure, it might be just a glitch as i used to get the warning ESP with a less than 100% battery.
Have you got access to vcds to scan it, a fault can be stored with no EML showing.

Stiggles, looking at the video, it would seem that the starter is really struggling to turn her over. Battery voltage is dropping too as seen by the dimming of the DIS. Like Lee, mine starts instantly, but my starter really throws the engine over fast. I have heard several times that poor starting can be caused by a 'lazy' starter, but also by a battery that cannot take the load. I would first of all try a new battery, and see if that makes a difference. If not it could just be the starter motor. The only other thought I had, was a possible temperature sensor error where the engine thinks it is already hot, and the engine controller does not put the fuel in until a certain rpm has been achieved. A VCDS scan is a good idea too. Good luck.

The oil pressure light comes on without fail once its been turning over for "x" amount of seconds, then just after it does she starts :wacko: I have access to a snapon diagnostics yoke which has been connected up numerous times and been unable to see anything

I did recently have the battery replaced, before I did I noticed the volume would cut out on the RNS-e just as I first tried to start it, then it came back, I then had the battery replaced and this stopped for a while but didn't help the hard starting, that battery ended up leaking fluid and was replaced about 4 months ago.

The volume still cuts when I first try to turn over as can be heard in the video, along with the lights flickering :(

I know its not a common thing for them to take more than a split second to start as we have a fleet of VAG 2.0TDI's :/

Is there any way to test the starter for being lazy? We had initially thought it could be an injector issue but I was hoping maybe someone else had any ideas, thanks for the input though guys its very much appreciated!!

Hopefully I can get it sorted as this is just another in a long list of issues with this particular car :banghead:

Stiggles, I don't know how to test for a lazy starter, but there are several threads on this issue. Try a search. I still maintain its not throwing over the engine at anything like the speed that it should. With a faster start-up rpm, you will probably not see the oil pressure warning at all. interesting your comments on the volume cutting. That does indicate a low battery voltage, perhaps due to the starter taking a huge current (larger than normal), which maybe an indicator that the starter motor is inefficient. I would certainly get a VCDS scan which might show up a temperature sensor issue.

It does sound like a really lazy starter to be honest. Not sure how to test it still on the car.

They aren't too difficult to replace, so may be worth swapping it out? Even if its with a temporary known working one to try and narrow down the problem.