2.0tdi 184 Dyno Results

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
So we've spend the last few weeks tuning the the new MQB platform cars and engines.

Today we finished the 184PS engine after a lenghty amount of time on the road and dyno. We can tune to any level or request, but the figures shown are for a typical Stage 1 tune. All tuning is now carried out through the OBD port - no ECU removal/unlocking is required :). We can flash the original file back on for trips to the dealer etc. This is the same for all 1.6 and 2.0 diesel engines, as well as the 1.2 and 1.4TSI engines.

The car in question here is a 2014 Golf GTD. This car was right on the money in standard form, making the factory 181 bhp (184PS) and 290lb of torque.

Dyno plot before/after below - Stage 1 map is priced at £400 including dyno plots.

GTDgraphs.jpg

photo1.jpg

Thanks, Rick

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76, NHN and desertstorm
Good job Rick,big plus being able to map these through the OBD port.
Nice results too, it's not just the headline numbers that look good, the fact that the standard map takes quite a nose dive just after 4K RPM and yours is strong all the way 4500 RPM would make the car a lot quicker. The remapped version is making nearly 60 bhp more than the standard car at 4500 RPM.

Karl

Yes good work and one in the eye to those who said it couldn't be done. I would be interested in one for my 1.4 engine...

Rick,
What are the figures and costing for the 150 diesel?
Cheers Ash

I had a DTUK box on my A5 177 from day 1. When I took it off sell, I thought I was driving the WRONG car. I imagine this makes the 184 feel pretty epic in comparison to std, going by my experience.

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

The power figures are above are for what I would consider a DPF safe tune. The boost pressure here is only increased by 135mbar which is very little. The AFR ratio is set so that even with no DPF, the car will not smoke. This means that even on continued full throttle there is no danger of soot build up in the DPF. For those that wish to push the car further, higher outputs are possible.

Figures for the 150 engine - 195bhp, the 1.6TDI 105 goes to 145bhp.

Thanks, Rick

Reactions: veeeight
What would the torque figures be for the 150?

BTW: is this only available from you or do you have partnerships with other dealers countrywide?

No dealers at the moment, but we will be selling an personal flash device for use with Android phones and tablets that have internet access.

This allows you to freely swap between modified and and original maps. It can store up to 5 modified maps which allows me to give customers different levels of tune to choose from too. The flasher is priced at £200. I'll be looking for some beta testers soon.

Thanks, Rick.

Reactions: desertstorm
What is the compatibility of the additional power and torque with an auto box in the 184PS.

No dealers at the moment, but we will be selling an personal flash device for use with Android phones and tablets that have internet access.

This allows you to freely swap between modified and and original maps. It can store up to 5 modified maps which allows me to give customers different levels of tune to choose from too. The flasher is priced at £200. I'll be looking for some beta testers soon.

Thanks, Rick.
Now this is very good, any idea what increased output would be for the 140ps 1.4 cod engine?

Hi interested to know more about the flash device so it can be on / off depending on when it's got to go to the dealers,
I have a 184 manual on order , due around Xmas, but it's a company car and I am considering the above possibly , but what sort of gains should the A3 achieve ?
( I am a a bit of a learner at these things , sorry for the questions )

Thanks

I am pretty sure gains will be the same as the 184 GTD engine at the top of the thread. They are essentially the same engine.

Reactions: Hambee1234
This is something I would like to hear more about. So as I understand it from what you've said above, the "flash" device would allow changes between the modified map and the std one for dealer trips - is this performed wirelessly or would you have to plug in to the cars OBD port to do this (from the flash unit)
Also is there a "time stamp" or similar on the maps - i.e you swap back to the std map for a dealer trip and they could (if they wished) see that the map had been only loaded the previous day?

Apologies for the inane questions here, very new to the mapping idea.

Thanks. Sounds promising then. So the inital plug in would just record the map as it stood on day which is then stored, and map 2 (the modified one) would be uploaded over it - is this a generic map for the 184ps engine, or would the modified map be specific to the car?

Ok. So id have to bring the car to you to get the 184map checked and tested in the first instance

Out of pure curiosity, I wonder how a remapped 184Ps would fair vs a 1.8 petrol (180hp, 280nm torque or even a S3 (300hp, 380nm torque?), as a remapped 184 would have what 500nm torque, 220hp? I know from a standstill the petrol would have the advantage, but once rolling wouldn't the larger torque band come into play?

For a short time it would but the petrol has the rev range over the diesel.

How does the FWD cope with putting down the increased torque compared to the quattro version?

In my experience petrol and diesel cars of the same model with similar outputs will have similar performance

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/audi/a3/hatchback-2012/

If you are talking about acceleration from standstill then quattro is a great advantage just look at the 0-60 figures of a 184bhp 2wd and 4wd car.
As soon as you aren't traction limited less weight of the 2wd car will give it better acceleration.
Because of the limited rev range of a diesel they will always be in 3rd gear at 60mph where as most petrol can do 60 in second so the 0-60 will include an extra gear change for a diesel.

A remapped 184bhp diesel will be quicker than a 1.8 petrol but the S3 will still be a lot quicker.

How does the FWD cope with putting down the increased torque compared to the quattro version?
I had a 136 eco FWD A4 as a courtesy car a month or two back. In the 24 hours I had it, I span the front wheels twice on dry (but cold) roads. I could regularly spin the front wheels on my old Skoda Superb with the 170 engine in. I think I've noticed a loss of traction once in the 10 months since I've had the 184Q (which is a lighter car than either of the other two as well).

Personally, I think quattro makes a huge difference, but that may be because my driving style is fairly binary... <cough>

I don't think I will ever buy another FWD car....

Reactions: Cymru09
Will this flash devise have the ability to return to stock like properly stock not tuner stock? If so then awesome you'll be putting the tuning boxes out of business over night.

As it stands,

If you come to me I can unlock your ECU and you can then use the flash device to flash back to standard freely as many times as you want. This is for all Diesel engines - 105 150 184.

Unlock procedure does involve ECU removal, but it is all put back together neatly with new security bolts.

I can tune through OBD, and flash back to standard without ECU removal - but this doesn't work with the personal flasher.

Thanks, Rick