2.0tdi 170 smoking on idle

SinghB7

Reaction score
When the cars been idling for around 5/10 minutes, theres plumes of blue/white smoke coming from the exhausts. Then when I have taken it for a hard drive around the block it clears and comes back after 5/10 minutes idling. Is this normal? Still has the dpf in too.

Could be the egr cooler leaking water into the engine.
Could it be steam

I know its not steam as it smells very strong of diesel. Also injectors have not been recalled on here could that maybe the problem?

If you have the 170BHP engine then there is a recall (If they have not been done already) If you have the 140 version then you will have to take the hit.

It is a 170 diesel, is it a case of ringing audi and book in for a recall?

Just speak to Audi and ask if the car's supposed to have had a recall, and if so, has it had the recall done. If it hasn't, then they'll tell you and you should be able to arrange for it to be done.

Unit zero - on idle its like its shaking, alot if lumpy vibrations through out the car

Reactions: unitzero
Yeah, sounds the same as mine. I've drove myself loopy looking for answers all over the forums.

A few months ago I spoke to a company down south called Avon Tuning (nr Bristol) after a couple of users off another forum thread ( I think it was Pistonheads?) suggested that the cam/fuel timing could be out by a fraction.
Avon Tuning adjusted the cam timing by VCDS and the lumpy idle and smoking was sorted.
I spoke to the chap that works at Avon and told him my symptoms and he agreed that it sounds like the cam timing and that they have cured a good number of 2.0 TDI's of this issue.
IIRC they charge around £75 plus VAT. I've not had chance to drive down to see them though

Hope this helps

Please post your findings if you do go down that route
Maybe we should see if we can get a discount on sorting two smoky 170s ?