2.0TDI 140 and 1.4T thoughts?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
I had a go in a 2.0TDI 140 A3 yesterday, and loved that punch it had when you hit around 2000RPM! I was wondering, what are peoples thoughts on the 1.4T? It gives a similar 0 - 60 time, and doesnt seem miles behind with economy either, but my worry is that it will have a fair bit of turbo lag! What's it like to drive? Is it a good engine? :)

Never driven one. Sat in one tho, and it sounds like a diesel anyway, so that's a negative point as usually petrols are more refined.

If you want to mod the car the 2.0 TDI is a better bet. There's a lot more stuff out there for it.

Had a 1.4T as a courtesy car from Audi. Great fun but then I drive a 1.6 so was enjoyable feeling the turbo kick in. Economy was ok but not fantastic if you enjoy booting it every now and again. Heard they can be mapped to 200 BHP.

I'd probably go for the diesel (never driven one though) as it's better to mod, better economy and can be mapped to a similar figure anyway.

I had 1.4T as a courtesy car also, the turbo doesnt feel as punchy as the TDI one.. nothing beats the economy and fun of the 2.0TDI in my oppinion..

Also, I would be embarrased to drive around with 1.4t on the back of my A3..

the A1 comes with a 1.2T engine!

Nothing wrong with small engine with turbo. Look up Daihatsu Charade GTti.
993cc turbo.... 0-60mph 7.5 seconds.

I know, cant see it taking off to be fair, I had the 1.6 and it wasnt the pokiest thing in the world, cant imagine what a 1.2T would be like? surely screaming everywhere?

I've got a 2008 1.4T...de-badged obv! You can get it mapped from 125 to 150bhp on stage 1. Mine doesn't sound anything like a diesel, if it did I'd get rid. Great turbo feel and get around 43 mpg on motorway. I'd go for the 1.4T, you'll love it!

have driven the 1.4t and also have a 140tdi, both very similar in many ways, just preferred the fact the 2.0 burner just seems to do things a bit more effortlessly.............

I've got a 2008 1.4T...de-badged obv! You can get it mapped from 125 to 150bhp on stage 1. Mine doesn't sound anything like a diesel, if it did I'd get rid. Great turbo feel and get around 43 mpg on motorway. I'd go for the 1.4T, you'll love it!

What sort of power can the 1.4T produce then if you went further on stock internals?

I've got a 2008 1.4T...de-badged obv!

Never driven one. Sat in one tho, and it sounds like a diesel anyway, so that's a negative point as usually petrols are more refined. If you want to mod the car the 2.0 TDI is a better bet. There's a lot more stuff out there for it.
Ι don`t get it, debaged obviously?

Also @sub37h

So should i feel ashamed that my car has 1.4T written on the back? What`s the problem with a small engine that provides decent MPG and some fun?
I really prefer a 1.4T badge rather than an awful diesel sound!
And it also provides a little whistle if you play with the throttle

I really love my 1.4, its not mind blowing fast but it does the job perfectly!

And to be more specific, what`s wrong with that? :)

img0116em.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a 140TDI and was given a 1.4T whilst mine was in for a service. I couldn't believe the difference. Like chalk & cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are a lot of people quite happy with their 1.4Ts, just like I was very happy with our old 1.0 Yaris, but the 1.4 just hasn't got the torque - the low down push you get from the TDI.

The 1.4T would certainly be cheaper on tyres - because you'd never give it a bit too much gas and spin the tyres in the dry like I do accidentally but regularly in the TDI....

Its down to what you want from the car - but whatever you do, if you're really thinking of choosing between the two, make sure you test drive both to make an informed decision.

I would equate the 1.4T to our 1.3 Yaris SR. Its a lovely smooth petrol engine that you appreciate for its smoothness and refinement, but its never going to put a grin on your face through its power or torque delivery like the TDI can....
I go out in our Yaris and enjopy and appreciate its engine after the roughness of my Audi TDi, but they are two different types of engine and I appreciate having one of each type...

I've got a 140TDI and was given a 1.4T whilst mine was in for a service. I couldn't believe the difference. Like chalk & cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are a lot of people quite happy with their 1.4Ts, just like I was very happy with our old 1.0 Yaris, but the 1.4 just hasn't got the torque - the low down push you get from the TDI.

The 1.4T would certainly be cheaper on tyres - because you'd never give it a bit too much gas and spin the tyres in the dry like I do accidentally but regularly in the TDI....

Its down to what you want from the car - but whatever you do, if you're really thinking of choosing between the two, make sure you test drive both to make an informed decision.

I would equate the 1.4T to our 1.3 Yaris SR. Its a lovely smooth petrol engine that you appreciate for its smoothness and refinement, but its never going to put a grin on your face through its power or torque delivery like the TDI can....
I go out in our Yaris and enjopy and appreciate its engine after the roughness of my Audi TDi, but they are two different types of engine and I appreciate having one of each type...

To add to this, the newer common rail engines are very smooth and refined compared to the older PD lump, so it is very much worth test driving both and making an informed decision - because at 19/20 I would have never thought about owning a diesel, but I can't fault my CR engine at all. Great mpg, great torque, quiet engine

Aristides, I love my 1.4T. But, most people don't understand how it works so would just think, 1.4? Also, with double chrome pipes that don't go pitch black people are left guessing as to what it is! Also, as above, the new diesel common rail engines are pretty good and not as loud...

Well to be absolutely honest, here in Greece (and specifically in Thessaloniki) we are not allowed to drive Diesel cars. - Athens has that rule too, i know, weird -

Maybe that`s why i really truly believe that my 1.4T does the job perfectly. All i know from diesels are our Cabs , which are some dreadful Toyota`s and old Mercedes with the terrible
diesel sound.

But as others have already said, it`s what u`re looking for in the car. I get very decent MPG have a bit of fun and enjoy my journeys too!

Well one thing is clear though. I really dont feel ashamed carrying a 1.4 badge on my car! All i did was change the T letter to red :)

2.0 Tdi motor is superb, the 170 with Quattro even more so. Nothing wrong with smaller 1.2T and 1.4T petrol motors if you enjoy a good thrash. Had a ride in a 1.2 Yeti yesterday and was very impressed but had to thrash it through the gears at high revs to get performance.

Best idea is to test drive both as others have said, as it is a very subjective choice. I own a new 140 2.0 Tdi CR and drove a 1.4T for the day a few weeks ago. The diesel is great. Smooth, quieter than the older PDs, quick enough for me and does 50+ mpg consistently. The 1.4T did not have the same torque, but it drove like a bigger engine, had very little turbo lag, sounded ok and it was good fun taking it above 6,000 rpm (as opposed to the diesel giving up @ 4,500 rpm). I can't comment too much on the economy as I didn't drive far enough, but guess it'll do 40mpg ish.

I'd happily swap my 2.0 diesel for the 1.4T. Just my opinion, but best drive them yourself.