2.0TDi 138 issues

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Mate just got his A3 a couple of days ago, the car dies after 80mph and goes into limo mode and EML light comes on.

Any of you guys had a similar problem ?

OH......lol

was going to say am sure someone will pop up closeby to you .

Reactions: Brennan
Have you notified the dealer you bought it from?

Yes he knows and is willing to repair, we we're curious to know if anyone else had same problem or know what it is

Mate just got his A3 a couple of days ago, the car dies after 80mph and goes into limo mode and EML light comes on.

Any of you guys had a similar problem ?

Didn't you mean to say car dies after reaching 70mph :o.k:

Unless he has a private road of cause...

Scan is the best bet, could be a number of issues.

Mate just got his A3 a couple of days ago, the car dies after 80mph and goes into limo mode

n?

Cool trick !

limousine3.jpg

turbo overboosting at 3000 rpm maybe?

if it is, it needs cleaning, and don't use the short-cut method like Mr Muscle or fuel additives, get it cleaned properly for a more permanent result

As mentioned by T8DPR its a turbo over boosting issue.
You will also notice it happen if you drive upto and past 3000rpm constantly through few of the gears, its like the turbo switches off.

After turning off the engine and back on everything is running good again

But the turbo is your culprit

As also mentioned by T8DPR you could clean the turbo and it might be fine (for a while?), but will need a new turbo soon (few 1000miles maybe?)

First thing I thought was overboost

Same thing happened on my 08 Saab diesel, died when I went over 80 and it turned out to be the turbo actuator

a really good proper clean may be all it needs, doesn't necessarily mean its comin to the end of its life

google or youtube "terraclean"

Same thing happened on my 08 Saab diesel, died when I went over 80 and it turned out to be the turbo actuator

I can second that, when I bought my A3 2.0 TDI 140, it developed a turbo whine like a police siren noise after a couple of weeks. Got the turbo changed under warranty and all was fine for a couple of weeks before I went to overtake someone on the motorway and it went in to limp mode. Took it back again, turned out to be a faulty turbo actuator on the recon turbo they fitted so had it changed and its been okay ever since.

I had a similar issue with my turbo, terra clean is an awesome product but it won't always fix the problem, I would certainly start by having it cleaned since its only £100.00 and takes around an hour to do. If this doesn't cure it, it maybe time to look at replacement...hybrid or gtb if your feeling flush lol, hope this helps...