2.0T sleeper project - options / would you do it?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I got back into an A3 2.0T late last year. The full background to my granddad spec 2007 Sportback SE with lots of options is here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/im-back-in-a-high-spec-2007-a3-2-0t-put-on-a-brew.383980/

It was meant to be a stop-gap car, before I got around to replacing it with something newer. But, the trouble is, I only do about 3-4k miles a year in a car and getting something more modern would be a lot more expensive. I can afford it, but I'm just not convinced that something like a Mk7.5 Golf or new Polo GTI is going to be great value to me at £20-25k more than what the A3 cost me. Even getting a decent 2008-10 8P S3 Sportback or Golf R32 would realistically cost another £5-10k.

So... I'm looking at upgrading this A3 as an alternative. It seems a solid car, with a good history and recent £1.5k's worth of maintenance done by me. It doesn't strictly need any work doing, but the brakes feel a bit weak - especially the rears.

I've previously had upgraded cars (mechanical modifications only), including a 370hp supercharged Mk5 Golf R32 and a 350hp Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo. I know from this experience that I'd want something reliable rather than pushing the boundaries of power.

I think I'd be looking at something like:

- Induction, intercooler and map (if staying with Ko3)... or possibly more (K04)
- Exhaust (should I bother?)
- Brake calipers front (e.g. S3?)
- Brake calipers rear (are S3 ones better?)
- Discs and performance pads all round
- Suspension (definitely springs, possibly coilovers)
- Tidying cosmetics, e.g. refurb or replace alloys and a small paint repair (wouldn't bother with S3 front end etc)

This would give me options of a 250 or 300+hp engine, wrapped in a very sleeper-ish body. The best and the worst thing about this idea is that it wouldn't look the part.

Would you bother and, if so, what sort of spec / cost would you go for (bearing in mind that I'd be having it done by someone rather than fitted myself)?

20190204_1343301_zpsoahg18na.jpg

Last edited:
It would certainly be a bit of fun but without spending silly money you will not be over 300 BHP with the standard K03.
A 2nd hand all aluminium S3 intercooler is a good option. A downpipe only would take you to stage 2 with an induction kit and fuel pump internals up to stage 2+ with a suitable map. You need to decide if the rest of the car is up to it.
Be aware it becomes addictive. ....

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have an absolutely stock S3 with 380bhp. there is a huge temptation top jazz it up but its more fun as a sleeper and who cares what it looks like ? it how it goes that matters :)

Induction, exhaust and remap (stg 1) will get you 260bhp (ish), after that for stg2+.... intercooler, HPFP and clutch will bump you to 280bhp (ish). From there will be a K04 swap and lots more ££ to get you into the 360bhp region.

Exhaust is worth it if you want the power, just depends how loud you want the car. A resonated one will keep the drone down.

I went with EBC discs, pads and some braided lines for my brakes as I'm not planning on taking mine to the track and they work great.

If you have the money, jump straight to stg 2+ or K04 swap. At that point the parts on the car will be worth more than the car itself :)

Exhaust is worth it if you want the power, just depends how loud you want the car. A resonated one will keep the drone down.

I

The exhaust will be fine but you may need to change your down pipe/cat if going over 300bhp likewise i wouldn't bother with the IC unless you are going into Tuned S3 territory. they may be things you could look at once you have got where you want to be but low on priority at this stage i would say.

Reactions: GGG_666
If you truly want to go sleeper project, I'm selling this beauty turbo kit:
4u9vk2.jpg

2vttri0.jpg

2quu3yd.jpg

Haha that's one ludicrous size turbo. Excellent.

In response to the OP, much as I love a sleeper I've owned a stage 2 2.0 tfsi quattro and I looked at upgrading brakes, suspension, turbo, injectors etc using a3 3.2 and s3 bits. It still has the wrong head (different grade of aluminium too I believe) and bottom end is reinforced on the S3.

I ended up caving in and buying an S3. The k03 equipped car always just felt a bit 2d. It's very flat and linear in its power delivery, even at stage 2 it was fast but never grin worthy. Even a standard S3 delivers power in a meatier and more turbo feeling whollop. It feels a totally different animal despite seeming so similar.

Plus it gives you the scope to reach higher. Now at ~370hp and 416 lb/ft my car just makes you giggle. Depressing the throttle is addictive and just enough that it never gets old.

Yes but you can still have a sleeper S3 which is +130bhp and more.