2.0T Oil issue engine repair cost

Good news, hopefully Audi will be paying 100% on all cars from now on.

Reactions: Crazyfool
Mine had 98k on the clock, full service history but at a different dealer. Also had a revo stage 1 remap.

2011, 68k with full Audi history at the same garage that the car had the oil consumption test done.

Full and in date Audi service history is the most important thing!

Over £5k of repair being done for free!!

Mine has been with Audi for a week now - getting excited about getting my car back! Been given an A3 TFSi for free as a courtesy car.

Ideally, you'd want a new block as I doupt they'd re-hone it and just replace ring, rods and seals which may bring the problem back. Make sure you ask them.
I know a guy who had his 'repaired' and he had a loud tapping noise.

Jump into the new thread mate. I have a feeling this the tip......

Well, mine is done!

Long story short for any new readers.....

2009 plate, 61000 miles and full dealer history. No warranty. Started using oil, had software update and PCV valve changed, 623 miles later it failed test.

Audi have replaced pistons, rings, con rods and all associated parts.
When it was in, they found the FOS wheel bearing was worn, and play in the steering. This was traced to a worn intermediate steering linkage, which they replaced. Car in for 9 days for which I had a A3 on loan.

Total cost £6500 and some. Cost to me? NOT A PENNY!!! No arguments, no haggling, no nothing. Very upfront and very honest.
Brilliant service from Edinburgh audi - I'm over the moon with their approach and their service.

Reactions: AU11 ALS, Crazyfool and ruairi83
I have had a full refund for my contribution towards the repair cost, which was over £2000. I noticed that more and more people weren’t paying anything and obviously wasn’t happy, so I contacted Audi UK. It took about a week for them to investigate and then agree to a full refund. I know that every case is different; my car was 4 years old with FASH, one of which was paid for by me. This was my first Audi.

If you were in a similar situation then I think it would be a good idea for you to phone them and complain (0800 699 888).

Good Luck!

Reactions: ruairi83
Doh, I should have kept mine and made them pay!

I have had a full refund for my contribution towards the repair cost, which was over £2000. I noticed that more and more people weren’t paying anything and obviously wasn’t happy, so I contacted Audi UK. It took about a week for them to investigate and then agree to a full refund. I know that every case is different; my car was 4 years old with FASH, one of which was paid for by me. This was my first Audi.

If you were in a similar situation then I think it would be a good idea for you to phone them and complain (0800 699 888).

Good Luck!
I've Tweeted Audi to tell them I'm not happy about paying. They told me to sod off last time, but I've been informed my case has been reopened again.

Let's see... I'm not holding my breath, particularly now I've ditched the car

Mine still hasn't used a drop - think the repair worked!

Mine still hasn't used a drop - think the repair worked!

I have done 1800 miles and mmi has dropped about 1/5 so pretty happy, apparently engine will use some oil while running in. So pretty Happy

Finally I spoke to someone in AUK who talks sense and they have decided to refund me the cost of the engine rebuild.

Reactions: mister.c., silentbrown, AU11 ALS and 1 other person
Towards a replacement oven!!!! Hardcore me!

Beware, that will probably burn a bit of oil aswell!

I'm glad you had a refund. I just wish I had a platform to let more people know.

Reactions: Crazyfool and scotty76
Beware, that will probably burn a bit of oil aswell!

I'm glad you had a refund. I just wish I had a platform to let more people know.
No, I'll make sure it's not built by Audi, so there shouldn't be any concerns about catastrophic mechanical failures, issues with sensors and the legs falling off.!!

12000 miles on and mines been faultless, but I did have a brand new block, just booking in for the £299 service offer with free mini service 2for1.
I'll run it for another 20k and then move on to something else.
Huddersfield Audi have a great customer service so I highly recommend them, makes me want to stick to an Audi, but I like the BMW f10s

Reactions: scotty76
Good to know. I am still waiting on Audi Manchester coming back to me. A week they said. It's now 2 and no phone call to tell me what Audi uk want to do.

Good to know. I am still waiting on Audi Manchester coming back to me. A week they said. It's now 2 and no phone call to tell me what Audi uk want to do.
They are pushing you aside, it dosent take them a week to find out, all they have todo is authorise it with a service manager or boss and they will sort with audiuk.
That's what my dealer did just cracked straight on with it, 10 day turn around inc consumption test, pcv and update then onto new engine ordered and fitted.
In excess of 10k of work for free.

Chased them today but they didn't ring back. Kind of expected really. Will be ringing them every hour, on the hour tomorrow until I get somewhere. Will report back

Twitter works a treat when you don't get a response.

I received my cheque yesterday for the engine build refund.

Reactions: Bustamoves, mancdan and scotty76
So spoke to them today and was told that as I don't have the problematic engine (I have a 1.8 and not a 2.0) then it was not going via Audi goodwill and they were pursuing the extended warranty route. No idea what that means but I bought a used approved Audi and it came with a 1 year warranty which is still in force and expires 22nd may. Bullshoot or truth ? Who knows said I should have an answer at the me of the day. Heard nowt. Got till the end of this week before I ring again on Friday afternoon.

Nice of them to admit the 2.0 is a problem engine though !

1.8T's are also starting to suffer but there's no where as many cases as there are with the 2.0T. If they are not going with a goodwill gesture, but pursuing an extended warranty., they are either going to suck it and see or they will get the work completed under warranty. Have they conducted the oil consumption test yet?

1.8T's are also starting to suffer but there's no where as many cases as there are with the 2.0T. If they are not going with a goodwill gesture, but pursuing an extended warranty., they are either going to suck it and see or they will get the work completed under warranty. Have they conducted the oil consumption test yet?
Yes, it failed the consumption test. They rang me today. All booked in for the 11th May to be rebuilt FOC.

Reactions: Bustamoves
Watchdog are moving on this. They have been in contact with me. I also provisionally have a full refund on the way to me from audi... Awaiting a cheque.

Reactions: razza1, silentbrown, mancdan and 2 others
Watchdog are moving on this. They have been in contact with me. I also provisionally have a full refund on the way to me from audi... Awaiting a cheque.
Doesn't surprise me other than how long it's taken for them to get involved.

Reactions: A4B8Sline
Get this guys mine went in for a service the other day and all sorted ive been watching my oil levels (was using .2ltr every 620 miles) and since its been in for a service the number of miles Ive done has gone up before it now drops, its taken me about 2200 miles to use the 1ltr fully so I think they are now tinkering with the cars when they get there little mits on them.....that oras i said before they are topping them up a little too much in the first instance i will see once I fill her up and do the 620 miles in the next week what happens.

.2ltr every 620 miles is 3100 miles per litre. Some mishtake, surely?

I also noticed an initial improvement after the first "fix" was done but the gauge resumed it's usual plummet after about 600 miles. Possibly an intentional overfill, *** you say. I've never heard of any car that's failed the initial test and then passed the second one. Mine needed new pistons and rods, as has everyone else here. ;)

" do the 620 miles" : Are they running an oil consumption test on your now car, then?

No they did one the other month, Im going to run the car for 620 miles and see what the level falls to this time and if Im not happy Audi will be getting it back in again.

Get this guys mine went in for a service the other day and all sorted ive been watching my oil levels (was using .2ltr every 620 miles) and since its been in for a service the number of miles Ive done has gone up before it now drops, its taken me about 2200 miles to use the 1ltr fully so I think they are now tinkering with the cars when they get there little mits on them.....that oras i said before they are topping them up a little too much in the first instance i will see once I fill her up and do the 620 miles in the next week what happens.
They may have done a software update and put a thicker oil in to mask the problem.

Thicker oil, I think they have done a software update but thicker oil when Im running the same as what they used to top it back up (They left me the half empty 1ltr bottle) so I know they use the same oil.

What I would also like to know is why is everyone having such varying degrees of the same issue ie some using more oil than others? is it purely down to the friday afternoon effect because surely if they suffer with this excessive oil usage it should be the same across the models affected no?

why would they use thicker oil and cover it up, it's no skin off their noses, Audi are paying for it.

Reactions: T0m
Why is everyone having such varying degrees of the same issue ie some using more oil than others? is it purely down to the friday afternoon effect because surely if they suffer with this excessive oil usage it should be the same across the models affected no?

Piston ring wear will depend on manufacturing tolerances, driving style and use (motorway vs urban, short vs long journeys), oil quality and type, service intervals, choice of fuel, engine state of tune,...

Motorway driving masks the problem somewhat! Found my consumption was shocking when I did short trips and the car misfired on cylinder 2 as a result! Can't wait to see if this makes Watchdog ;)

Motorways aren't as effective unless you do what I did during my consumption test and hammer it for at least five junctions there and back in 4th gear! Mine dropped like a lead balloon.