2.0T Oil issue engine repair cost

I am have been made what Audi Uk are calling their final offer, £2006. That is free parts and a 20% discount on the labour. I escalated the case which apparently went to the customer relations manager who works directly below the UK Managing director but they would not budge on the offer. I thought that a full audi service history and only 29,000 miles would have put me in good stead but apparently not. To make things worse I only have 12 days do decide whether to accept the offer or not. PI$$ED OFF!

Any advice welcome.

That sucks.

This is what makes me want to trade in.

I guess you have nothing over them, if they say that's it, then that's it.

Anyone had this fixed on an Audi extended warranty.

Its £484 to take one out for a year. Only thing is, there's a statement saying they wont fix it if they believe you had the problem before you took out the policy. Even if you wait a few months, they could still reject the claim.

Anyone had this fixed on an Audi extended warranty.

Its £484 to take one out for a year. Only thing is, there's a statement saying they wont fix it if they believe you had the problem before you took out the policy. Even if you wait a few months, they could still reject the claim.

May work but the message that they were trying to tell me is that it's wear and tear. Clearly it's not. The thing is with a trade in, are you gonna lose more than £2k? I know I would, and at least with the rebuild you get a 2 year guarantee on related vaults.

Yea I'll loose more than 2k, but then I have the hassle of oil consumption tests. I don't do many miles and it will take time. Then all the arguing.

I also have the steering vibration at very low speeds, which there doesn't seem to be a cure for.

And to be honest, I would like a s4 lol.

Wear and tear is absolute utter bullocks. A clutch yes, brake pads yes, pistons and rings....wtf they on about.

Yea I'll loose more than 2k, but then I have the hassle of oil consumption tests. I don't do many miles and it will take time. Then all the arguing.

I also have the steering vibration at very low speeds, which there doesn't seem to be a cure for.

And to be honest, I would like a s4 lol.

Wear and tear is absolute utter bullocks. A clutch yes, brake pads yes, pistons and rings....wtf they on about.

That's almost exactly what I said, the problem has not originated from a driving style. I also have the steering wheel vibration, it only happens when parking, but not all the time. There is an Audi technical instruction for it, they replace one of the steering hydraulic hoses. The hose is around £30 but maybe expensive to fit (should be another recall really). I've been told that it won't effect any other components so I'm just gonna live with that one.

Yea I'm living it, like yours, mine is only when parking sometimes. Mainly on tarmac. Loose gravel etc... obviously doesn't put enough load on the system to make it shudder. I've read even with the hose, it does not cure the problem fully!

Oh damn...when I park mine my steering wheel vibrates a little...thought it was normal :(

I have the steering problem, but I'm not doing anything about it. I also have the clutch judder issues when it's damp.

I would kick off big time about the price of the repair. This is definitely becoming a very common issue.

I had a follow up conversation with AUK on Tuesday where I told them I wasn't happy that I had to pay the £370. He told me that I had a great deal! And I wouldn't get a further discount.

He advised that the issue has been reported to the factory and if they decide to recall, I could get a refund. I can't imagine this ever happening, but if it did I am sure my car will be under different ownership by then.

Funny how the factory have been pushing out these engines after 2011 that don't suffer from the ring issue...wear and tear...my ar$e!

I have the steering problem, but I'm not doing anything about it. I also have the clutch judder issues when it's damp.

I would kick off big time about the price of the repair. This is definitely becoming a very common issue.

I had a follow up conversation with AUK on Tuesday where I told them I wasn't happy that I had to pay the £370. He told me that I had a great deal! And I wouldn't get a further discount.

He advised that the issue has been reported to the factory and if they decide to recall, I could get a refund. I can't imagine this ever happening, but if it did I am sure my car will be under different ownership by then.

Funny how the factory have been pushing out these engines after 2011 that don't suffer from the ring issue...wear and tear...my ar$e!

AudiUK told me to seek legal advice as free parts is the best that they can offer. My dealer has sweetened the deal slightly by giving me 2 years free servicing, which I feel is quite generous from them as they are just a local franchise dealer. This is a terrible situation to be in. I knew I should have stretched my self and bought an S4! Have you had yours back yet?

But there's a thread on here about a s4 loosing oil...

AudiUK told me to seek legal advice as free parts is the best that they can offer. My dealer has sweetened the deal slightly by giving me 2 years free servicing, which I feel is quite generous from them as they are just a local franchise dealer. This is a terrible situation to be in. I knew I should have stretched my self and bought an S4! Have you had yours back yet?

I think AUK have obviously had a regional discussion about this re: legal advice and come up with a common strategy for dealing with the issue, because I had the same conversation with them earlier this week. There's a person for each region.

I spoke to the person in the garage about the S4 oil issue and he seemed genuinely puzzled.

I have got my car back and although they've told me I don't need to run it in, I'm not taking any chances. Since it's return I've had all my gear on the roof for carrying 4 bikes and ok, I'm not pushing the car hard, but I've been getting 37-38mpg to and from work. This is a vast improvement on previous runs.

The real test will be next weekend when I drive it up to Scotland for a family holiday.

I think AUK have obviously had a regional discussion about this re: legal advice and come up with a common strategy for dealing with the issue, because I had the same conversation with them earlier this week. There's a person for each region.

I spoke to the person in the garage about the S4 oil issue and he seemed genuinely puzzled.

I have got my car back and although they've told me I don't need to run it in, I'm not taking any chances. Since it's return I've had all my gear on the roof for carrying 4 bikes and ok, I'm not pushing the car hard, but I've been getting 37-38mpg to and from work. This is a vast improvement on previous runs.

The real test will be next weekend when I drive it up to Scotland for a family holiday.

At least the whole saga is over. Mine is booked in for early august for 5 days, I've taken the hit. All it really means is that the I'll have to keep the car for a little longer than planned. I bought the car private so even with this repair bill I'm still much better off than dealership prices. That's just me trying to convince myself that I'm doing the right thing.

Be sure to keep all receipts though, even if you sell the car you will still be entitled to a refund.

At least the whole saga is over. Mine is booked in for early august for 5 days, I've taken the hit. All it really means is that the I'll have to keep the car for a little longer than planned. I bought the car private so even with this repair bill I'm still much better off than dealership prices. That's just me trying to convince myself that I'm doing the right thing.

Be sure to keep all receipts though, even if you sell the car you will still be entitled to a refund.

I've convinced myself further to sell the car quick and not buy another one!!!

I'm going to test drive a s4 tomorrow and a jag xf on sunday.

But I'm still not sure to fix or trade. See what happens after the test drives.

I've convinced myself further to sell the car quick and not buy another one!!!

I felt the same as you last year, but now 16 months on and 13k miles covered the engine is going better than the day I bought it. Since last service 2.5k ago mmi indicates zero oil consumption. I used to sell my cars at 6 years old but I can see me running this till 7-8 years. Despite the hassle I had with the engine troubles I have grown to forget them and appreciate the car for what it should have been like. Comfy, large enough for my needs and good power for the size of it.

Also echoing one of your posts, since rebuild mine has returned over 38mpg as an average. My commute on trip 1 regularly indicates 42mpg sat at 70 on cruise. Even when I go for higher speeds high 30s are returned. My 2014 golf tdi is struggling to get much over 50mpg

Run it for a while and you may discount thinking of changing.

I felt the same as you last year, but now 16 months on and 13k miles covered the engine is going better than the day I bought it. Since last service 2.5k ago mmi indicates zero oil consumption. I used to sell my cars at 6 years old but I can see me running this till 7-8 years. Despite the hassle I had with the engine troubles I have grown to forget them and appreciate the car for what it should have been like. Comfy, large enough for my needs and good power for the size of it.

Also echoing one of your posts, since rebuild mine has returned over 38mpg as an average. My commute on trip 1 regularly indicates 42mpg sat at 70 on cruise. Even when I go for higher speeds high 30s are returned. My 2014 golf tdi is struggling to get much over 50mpg

Run it for a while and you may discount thinking of changing.

I need the change, we are growing out of it. Problem is I wanted the A6, but I'm really reluctant to buy another Audi. You maybe right though, I might start to love my car again then take the kicking from the wife when I buy another!

Last edited:
Well hopefully I solved my problem, just put a deposit on the S4 I went to see. I wasn't going with any intention of buying it, in fact I said to the missus don't let me buy anything this weekend. It was purely for a S4/jag difference test.

BUT, it was amazing. Pressed the engine start button and that was it, I wanted it, lol. It has every option I could have wanted on top of the amazing V6 engine.

Have to wait till Wednesday to get it though, not too many sleepless nights....phew.

I really hope it provides many miles of trouble free driving.

Yes, now I'm awake a silly o'clock hoping I did the right thing lol

Did you get a good deal? I have to say, I was considering it myself at the time.

Yes, now I'm awake a silly o'clock hoping I did the right thing lol

Nice, did you compare it to a jag XF? The XF'R' is a really nice car all round and I'd recommend one (I had one a while back when I had to sell due to financial problems, a real regret).

I lost around 2.5k on my car, so if the repair I managed to get down to £2006 like the last, I've not lost too much.

Obviously I don't know what my repair bill would have been, but I've not been loyal to any audi garage as I've not had one long enough. So that wouldn't have been a bargaining tool.

I didn't bother trying the XF. It was a diesel and I might have gone for it, but we mostly do short journeys. Read about people getting the DPF light a lot and needing to make weekly journeys just to clear it. Plus repairs and spares I kept reading were high.

I wanted a S4 anyway, it's only when someone mentioned a jag I looked. So when I saw the s4 I just bought, with all the extras, I couldn't say no.

I'm sure the jag is loverly, but don't think it would have Ben the better all round choice for us.

I would like an S model, but although I don't do huge mileage we do tour around France etc, so unfortunately it's a diesel for me next.

Ahhh, you only live once!

Though the fuel would be expensive for a tour of France. Rent a diesel for that.....lol

I can live with a petrol turbo in the A4, but now I'm moving to A6 territory, I'm going to struggle to convince myself that I should have a petrol, no matter how much I dislike diesels!

I guess the extra weight kills the mpg a bit.

Yup, im a diesel hater, but I suspect one day ill have to go back...

Just checked the oil level after 1 and 1/2 tanks of petrol and the oil has dropped to 3/4's. What's concerning is my wife just told me the car was really sluggish this morning, to the point she couldn't get it into 5th gear! It was fine for me the rest of the day., but we are driving to Scotland on Friday!

Tell me about it. I'll take it to work tomorrow, so I'll get to drive to from cold. See what happens.

That will be normal if it's just been rebuilt, you will loose a bit of oil when the engine wears in and will slowly stop using oil. (What I've read on these when fixed, running in period)

Yeah, the guy in the garage told me to expect oil loss for the first 1000 miles.

Which audi garage did you get your work done? As I will need arminition 'if needed' for when mine goes in.

Reading. I know a couple of guys have had theirs repaired for free in Glasgow

We got to Scotland safe and sound, although the journey to Preston on Friday night was horrific. It took us 6 hours after having to divert through the Oxfordshire Countryside.

I checked my oil this morning after about 1000 miles since the repair and I am happy to say the oil level hasn't budged.

Last edited:
Some good news then. Hope it stays like that.

Perhaps I could have done this, but the S4 is cool, albeit pricier lol.

I need to sell it before something else goes wrong!! Glad you're enjoying the S4