2.0T fsi oil pressure warning light

Ben1413

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after a little advise. I drove my car off the driveway yesterday (2006 A4 2.0T fsi Quattro) and the oil pressure warning light came on, followed by the car sounding like a bag of spanners. I reversed it back into the driveway and took a video of the sound.

I've read horror stories of the oil pick up tube in the sump blocking up and not allowing oil to flow to the top of the engine. I'm hoping this is the case and no permenant damage has been done.

Are there any DIY's on dropping the sump to check the pick up tube? I've looked and it seems like you need to remove or move the front sub frame. My car has done 76k and has full Audi history apart from one service.

Any help would be great

Ben

i take it you've checked oil level? take oil flller cap off as well and see what condition the oil is just inside.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not sure on engine code, why would this matter?

The car was serviced last week by my local garage. Oil level and condition is fine.

Ben

Is it on the standard 10k service interval, or the Audi long life (20k)

Get an oil pressure test done first, before thinking about dropping the sump.. I definitely wouldn't drive it..
There's lots of info on here to help you- hopefully as you say, there's not too much damage.

Had mine come on a couple of times although only for a second though, I didn't have any weird engine sounds so I had the pick up changed as a precaution.
Its come on once since but that was only when it was needing oil.
:)

The car has been recovered to a garage for them to investigate. Fault codes were camshaft sensor and knock sensor (obviously).

Hopefully a pressure test will point to either blocked pick up pipe or faulty oil pump and there is no too end damage.

Ben

Under 10psi on tick over and alarm bells should be ringing..

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-0-tfsi-pick-up-pipe-clarification.227639/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...hain-pick-up-pipe-other-common-issues.233568/

Here's a couple of threads which explain the problems these engines can have.. even with full service history, because of the design of the sump and pick up pipe, coupled with the type of driving etc, they get gummed up and the oil pump gets clogged over time and can't get up to pressure.. eventually starving the top end of the engine.. from memory, on one of the threads, someone posted a couple of videos of the dreaded cam chain death rattle.. have a listen (I don't think yours sounds that bad in comparison, there is a rattle though which sounds like the chain isn't tensioning) ....you might get away with just cleaning the sump and pump and replacing the pick up pipe with the revised part.. if you're unlucky and the pump needs replacing, it's very expensive.. (£800ish+just for the pump)
You need to check the cam chain tensioner as well though and cam chain (I'd replace them for what they cost and yours is noisy from that video) .. time it back up, make sure it hasn't jumped a tooth etc .. and then just make sure you get as much crud out of the engine that you can..
Then when all that's done, thank your lucky stars it didn't go bang and you're in for a new engine.. !
good luck with it..

Last edited:
The garage took it apart and that's when the fun started.

The oil pump and turbo have been replaced at some point before my ownership. There were three bolts missing from the oil pump. The toothed pulley that attaches to the crankshaft that drives the chain on the oil pump was welded in place. The welds failed which led to oil pump failure. The garage were shocked to say the least.

I am now in 'discussion' with the supplying dealer and finance company as I have only owned the phone since July and put less than 5k miles on it.

I am massively ****** off and frustrated to say the least. The car only has 76k now and almost full Audi service history.

Ben

omg Ben that's shocking. hope you get a settlement.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Believe a damaged PCV valve can also cause the pressure light to come on. Are you able to take of the oil filler cap once engine is running?

The garage took it apart and that's when the fun started.

The oil pump and turbo have been replaced at some point before my ownership. There were three bolts missing from the oil pump. The toothed pulley that attaches to the crankshaft that drives the chain on the oil pump was welded in place. The welds failed which led to oil pump failure. The garage were shocked to say the least.

I am now in 'discussion' with the supplying dealer and finance company as I have only owned the phone since July and put less than 5k miles on it.

I am massively ****** off and frustrated to say the least. The car only has 76k now and almost full Audi service history.

Ben

That's a real horror story Ben , but , it doesn't really surprise me really as I've read a fair few articles recently of similar botches etc.
Like I allways say now, just because its got an audi service history either full or very close it means nothing in real terms , service history with used audi's should be used as a guide only and never relied on as you can never be sure on what the previous owners did to the car or how they treated it, a car may clean up nice inside and out but can hide a massive time bomb just waiting to expolode , just as you have found.
Anyway hope you get it sorted out Ben