2.0T burning a hole in my wallet....

psd99

Reaction score
Hi all,

My quattro a4 2.0t is constantly requiring petrol!

I do not believe it is a good car for my purposes
I do about 30-60 miles a week. I am spending between 20 and 30 quid on petrol weekly

To give you an idea of my problem on sunday i filled up 28 quids worth of petrol
The petrol reading said that I had 160 miles left in the tank, and I did around 30-40 miles in total since sunday and today I only had 30 miles on the petrol reader left,
so like how could the car think I did 130 miles? Where in reality i only did 30/40 miles!,

I don't even drive chaotically i guess the car is not good for these stop and start drives through town?

Best of selling in the long run me thinks, do any of you have any recommendations?

Hole damnit not whole

Can a mod change the title please!?

Edit done!

Hi

No sure if you want us to confirm you should sell it or not!..That does sound a bit heavy but depends on your driving conditions too., and well, 4wd 2.0 turbos are never the cheapest things to run no matter what brand of car you have. If you are doing a lot of urban miles ( stuck in traffic pootling about at 30mph you will notice it drinks the stuff, like the late Oliver Reid at a free bar! I am assuming that your car is fully serviced, you have checked the tyre pressures...nothing untoward happening, no warning lights etc etc. BTW is your temp gauge bang on 90c when warm?....If not change your thermostat....that can make a big difference if your thermostat is gubbed.

Chin up,

BR
A

Hi

No sure if you want us to confirm you should sell it or not!..That does sound a bit heavy but depends on your driving conditions too., and well, 4wd 2.0 turbos are never the cheapest things to run no matter what brand of car you have. If you are doing a lot of urban miles ( stuck in traffic pootling about at 30mph you will notice it drinks the stuff, like the late Oliver Reid at a free bar! I am assuming that your car is fully serviced, you have checked the tyre pressures...nothing untoward happening, no warning lights etc etc. BTW is your temp gauge bang on 90c when warm?....If not change your thermostat....that can make a big difference if your thermostat is gubbed.

Chin up,

BR
A

Hi, yes got the car serviced recently, I can't see any obvious problems (touch wood)
the tyre pressure is ok in each tyre.

It is almost like £1 a mile or more, surely that is extremely expensive!? It is hardly a 4.2 RS4!!!!

I am unsure about the temperature gauge, I will have to look at this in detail but how can it make a difference to the petrol consumption?

I just worked out my recent MPG

on sunday I filled up 20 litres for £28

During sunday and Monday I did roughly 40-50 miles on stop/start journeys.
based on this my MPG was 11-12
that sounds pretty rubbish doesn't it!?

I don't do motorway journeys very often at all!

There will be a vast improvement to your fuel consumption. If the temp gauge isnt at the correct temperature.

Because all the car will be doing is throwing extra fuel in to compensate.

Just out of interest what does your DIS display for MPG?

And what fuel are you running?

There will be a vast improvement to your fuel consumption. If the temp gauge isnt at the correct temperature.

Because all the car will be doing is throwing extra fuel in to compensate.

Just out of interest what does your DIS display for MPG?

And what fuel are you running?

I will check the DIS.. but it changes a lot

generally use the better/more expensive fuel from Shell about 90% of the time.

btw what is a true test to check the temp gauge?

The DIS will tell you the average mpg. What is it showing? 11 mpg is just ludicrous.

The temperature gauge should be at 90 - it should get there within a few miles, and stay there. If it's showing less than 90, the chances are that either one of the temperature senders is faulty, of the thermostat is. In both cases, the ECU may therefore think the car is still warming up and will over fuel.

As above. what Mike said is correct.

Also if you find, considering you are sitting alot in traffic what if your gauge moves or goes down. If it does then you know for sure.

And glad you using the correct fuel :) well atleast 90% of the time ;)

You might be looking at real time DIS rather than looking at the avg. So on the DIS if you accelerate and notice the mpg figures move thats real time MPG. Then you get the avg one which has a little symbol on the left side of it , if I remember correctly.

I have a slightly more powerful motor than yours and the worst I got was 14mpg and that was with a duff thermostat :p But 11 to 13 is quite poor. If you always filling up at the same station maybe try another one. Im not saying it will make a miracle of a difference but just something to considering. But again it sounds to me more of a mechanical issue than it is grade of fuel etc.

thanks to you both

I will check tonight

1. what the MPG is (average)
2. how the temperature gauge behaves.

The easy way is to use a scaner and see if your O2 sensor is working right. How long you don't get a complete maintenance for your car?

It costs me £77 to fill up on Shell V Power Nitro and I get around 230 miles from that. This gives me an average of around 17-19mpg and most of my journeys are in start stop traffic. However on the motorway at around 70-80mph I can see averages of 32mpg. I'm running Revo Stage 1 aswell. I sort of expected what I'm getting considering the power I'm getting and the extra drag of the 4 wheel drive system.

Just to give you a comparison.

I wouldn't judge your mpg using the DIS. Join fuelly.com and get into logging your fuel fills v mileage. It is a much better reference to gauge your mpg use.

BR
A

Get a 1.4 yaris diesel, the wife has one, never does anything less than 60mpg closer to 70mpg on a run, costs £30 a year to tax and is uber reliable.
Otherwise if you want cheaper running and still want quattro / performance get a 3.0 TDI and get the DPF removed and remapped.
But with the mileage you do only around 2-3K miles a year fuel costs aren't that great.
assuming you do 2500 miles a year at 12mpg and petrol is 1.30 a litre thats £1230 a year in fuel.
Assuming you moved to something like a 2.0 TDI diesel that did 40mpg average as you do only short journeys. 30mpg 1.35 a litre is £511 a year in fuel.
Switching to a small fuel efficient car like the wifes Yaris and doing 60mpg 1.35 a litre would be £256 a year.

So switching to a small fuel efficint run around will save you around £1000 a year in fuel costs compared to your gas guzzler so around £20 a week. OF course factoring in insurance and road tax etc smaller cars are very much cheaper to run.

Karl.

£20-£30 a week? that seems like a tiny amount per week for fuel i wish mine was that low lol!!

On a full tank of V Power Nitro which is usually around the £80 mark that gets me about 350 miles from the tank with a stage 1 remap and mpg of roughly 25-29 around town and 33-38 on motorway. I often stick my foot down too! cant help it

its evident from all above that these cars are so variable on fuel and economy.

Mine uses less than that with 370bhp. Must be some issues there. I'd be tempted to ignore the gauge and run it until it runs out, then see what you actually get out of it. Not ideal but the dis ain't always accurate.

Yes Craig but yours has been mapped by Rick so it's going to be good.
As Craig says also the DIS is not very accurate especially on remaining range when there is less than 1/4 of a tank..

Reactions: Craig Cull
Mine has also been mapped by rick perhaps thats why better figures are had from him.

If not a temperature issue, maybe U have fuel leak ?? My BUL 220 bhp doing AVG 27.4 based on 10k miles, best score 33.4 - 100% of motorway somewhere in europe.

Ive seen 37 mpg on dis,only last week ,but was only doing 50-70 on that run and mines a bul with st2 revo,normally i see 32-34 on a faster run and 27 around town.And this was with a badly coked up engine.Which is being sorted now.

I managed to squeeze 63mpg out of my 1.9 tdi last week.mind you i was doing 50 mph is the lashing rain.