2.0 tfsi turbo options

Richie-XR2

Reaction score
I’m just back from being a week away up north and on the road up the girlfriends BUL engined a4 somehow drank almost a litre of oil in less than 200 miles whilst smoking whiteish smoke out the tailpipes. Great start to the holiday! Funnily enough on the drive home it never used a drop of oil

Anyway I’m now home and compression tested it to find 185 to 190 across the board. Removed the intercooler pipes and got a decent amount of oil out of them so it looks like the turbo is on its way out.

What options are out there for replacements? Obviously the cheapest sensible option would be a Melett CHRA but I’d like a wee bit more power and I’m sure the Mrs wouldn’t complain.

Are these Chinese turbos any good?

There’s also the same quality Chinese k04’s out there has anyone used one successfully?
Cheers

Personally I’d stay away from the Chinese ones.

I believe that was what my K04 hybrid was cobbled together from and it lasted less than a year. Admittedly it was machined out to fit a larger compressor but the build quality and seals etc were awful.

Reactions: Richie-XR2
The only reason I want to try it is that you see people having success with Chinese turbos on other platforms and I’d try them on my own car but it’s an engine out to change the turbos so not worth the risk. The b7 seems far far easier to change so less effort to revert back if needed.

I’ve been doing some reading and it seems like a catch can may solve the oil issue anyway which makes more sense as I have no drive ability issues or noises. It’s a shame there’s no real easy way to check shaft play on these turbos.

I certainly didn’t have oil issues like this on my old transverse tfsi but maybe it leaked out the boost pipe seals .

Reactions: Dan_Avant
The valve cover is another problem part on the TFSI. After changing my turbo I was still having a slight oil consumption issue.

I Was still going through a litre of oil in around 900-1000 miles. Changed the valve cover and that solved it until the gaskets on the vacuum pump went then I was back down to a litre of oil every 350 miles!

How much was your valve cover? Something I’ve been looking at too but can only see pattern versions and would prefer a genuine one.
I’ve resealed the vacuum pump so that’s done.

Do you run a catch can? I’m not too keen on the idea due to hoses all over the place plus the mrs hardly checks her oil so I doubt she’ll do well at remembering to drain a catch can.

The valve cover is another problem part on the TFSI. After changing my turbo I was still having a slight oil consumption issue.

I Was still going through a litre of oil in around 900-1000 miles. Changed the valve cover and that solved it until the gaskets on the vacuum pump went then I was back down to a litre of oil every 350 miles!

I have new seals todo vac pump to rectify the oil consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t remember how much I paid for the valve cover. Think it was a valio or something like that.

I do run a catch can but it doesn’t help with oil consumption. It just catches blow by and stops it recirculating through the combustion cycle

I’m just back from being a week away up north and on the road up the girlfriends BUL engined a4 somehow drank almost a litre of oil in less than 200 miles whilst smoking whiteish smoke out the tailpipes. Great start to the holiday! Funnily enough on the drive home it never used a drop of oil

Anyway I’m now home and compression tested it to find 185 to 190 across the board. Removed the intercooler pipes and got a decent amount of oil out of them so it looks like the turbo is on its way out.

What options are out there for replacements? Obviously the cheapest sensible option would be a Melett CHRA but I’d like a wee bit more power and I’m sure the Mrs wouldn’t complain.

Are these Chinese turbos any good?

There’s also the same quality Chinese k04’s out there has anyone used one successfully?
Cheers

I have an s3 turbo with a brand new Millett k04 64 chra being fitted . The only thing is a adapter plate will be needed to fit to A4 bul cat as hole spacing is different pic can follow later as it’s in progress on the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Richie-XR2
Ordered a new cam cover so will try that first then go down the catch can route if I’m still getting oil in the intercoolers.