2.0 TFSI Shark stage 1 remap coming next week

scotty76

Reaction score
Got my '57 plate 2.0 TFSI booked in for a Shark Performance stage 1 remap next week with CN Tuning. I'm also having the DV changed for the later one and a boost leak test done. Looking forward to it.

The deciding factor was that I finally managed to get a decent insurance quote for the +20% power increase. For anyone reading Direct Line won't cover a remap (even if you are over 25 and I'm well past that) so new quote is with Admiral.

I'll report back once it's done on the map and on CN Tuning as they are big on briskoda but not seen them mentioned here.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.....am hoping for an MTM or Garret stage 1 round about August. I really fancy a much earlier power torque curve ,rather than it all coming in at the top end as it presently does. I understand the MTM stage1 comes in quite low down....not sure about where yours will come in....Keep us posted.

BR
A

Thanks. I was after a smooth rather than aggressive remap and Shark seems to get the thumbs up. I did lots of nerdy dyno plot readings on other forums. :)

I also looked at Bluefin but in the end decided I liked the local support angle in case of any issues. Clive @ CN Tuning has a good reputation for health checking the car first before applying the map and also good customer service. These are important things to me as a product has to be backed up by good service and I hope to get this.

Reactions: Sandra
All makes sense Scotty. I would do exactly the same if I had the luxury of tuners on my door step too.....only difference is, I don't hahaha The Garret tuner is 100 miles away and the MTM crowd are 250 miles away!....the price you pay for living in Hill Billy country!
Good luck Matey.

BR
A

Reactions: scotty76
I guess you want to know how it went? :) Well remap is on and oh my it's good. Very smooth, like OEM but much better. My car was 197bhp to start with so it's so much better now. 3rd gear torque is fantastic. On the short drive back through the countryside I came out of a 40mph limit onto a 60mph straight stretch of road, in 3rd gear, floored it and wow does it go!

As for Clive @ CN Tuning, what a pleasure to deal with. Happy to explain things. Made sure the car was in good health before the map and did data logging afterwards to ensure all was as it should be. The smoke test showed I had no boost leaks which is great re-assurance. And finally the DV was changed to the latest one. "C" revision was apparently what was in there at the moment and although not damaged Clive felt it would only be a matter of time with the remap on.

It's only day 1 but I'm a happy chappy at the moment. Will try and remember to update this after a week or so!

Reactions: Molnboman
Glad you are happy....so would you would say it feels pokier lower down or further up the rev range from OEM standard?

Cheers
A

I'd say 2000rpm plus is where you start to see the difference. The pull is just constant after that. That suits me well as the last 2 miles of my commute is traffic so don't want anything too twitchy.

I'll know more on the way home as I do traffic, motorway then A road so a bit of everything.

Nice one....want a full report.....don't get too enthusiastic and end up a tree with all that new found power!

Cheers
A

So the drive home was fun. The mid range punch, particularly in 3rd and 4th gear is just awesome. Only negative is you need to keep a close eye on the speedo in the interests of keeping your license! :) Pootling about in traffic is fine. The car isn't jerky. In fact low down the rev range it's just like stock, no dramas. However, spank its bottom and off it goes. I've noticed the traction control light on a fair bit more in 2nd gear, need to adjust my style and be more progressive.

I spent probably 12 months looking at remaps and always stopped short of doing it. Wish I'd done it sooner. Shark was the right choice for me as the power delivery is exactly what I wanted.

Just did a stage 1 Shark remap on my 2.0TFSI, and F*CK me its awesome :D

The added torque is great. I was in 6th and got halfway up a steep hill on the A27 near where I live, put my foot down and it just went. Was up another 20mph in just a few moments. As Scotty said, the 3rd and 4th gear is where the most noticeable difference is, and as soon as the needle goes over 2000rpm it explodes for a smooth continuous power curve all the way up to the red-line.

Can't wait to get out on some A-roads this weekend.

So first fill up since the remap. MPG is 29.86. Average for the year so far is 30.04mpg. These are calculated, not DIS figures. So no real difference at the moment. It has been hot over the last few weeks and there of course has been the "hooning it" factor. Time will tell if the mpg is better but it's certainly no worse.

Having had time to live with the map I stick bu what I said. 3rd and 4th gear is where it's at for maximum grin factor.

2nd fill up since remap and again 29.86mpg. It was such a coincidence I double checked the figures but nope, that's definitely correct. If you're thinking I don't do many miles, you'd be right.

3rd and 4th gear are still proving to be the real bonus of the remap. Very handy for overtaking on short dual carriageways and the like. I've been wondering about Stage 2 but it looks like an expensive process for +20bhp.

Requires supporting hardware: Turbo-back exhaust system, cold air intake. Front mounted intercooler recommended.

So gonna save the money and get a winter detail done instead by my local pro detailer.

2nd fill up since remap and again 29.86mpg. It was such a coincidence I double checked the figures but nope, that's definitely correct. If you're thinking I don't do many miles, you'd be right.

3rd and 4th gear are still proving to be the real bonus of the remap. Very handy for overtaking on short dual carriageways and the like. I've been wondering about Stage 2 but it looks like an expensive process for +20bhp.

So gonna save the money and get a winter detail done instead by my local pro detailer.

Save the detailing till Spring and blow yer cash on a Milltek! Yehhhaggghhhhhhhh!:w00t:

Save the detailing till Spring and blow yer cash on a Milltek! Yehhhaggghhhhhhhh!:w00t:

The detail is already booked. I'd normally do the winter prep myself but I just don't have the time. What puts me off the Milltek is 1) the cost and 2) the tail pipes seem to stick out too much. I've seen a fair few threads on this and people seem to end up cutting off about 1 inch of the pipe to correct it. That doesn't sound ideal.

Winter detail done. No Miltek but shiny, shiny...

P1050105.jpg

Reactions: jdp1962 and Molnboman
Thought I'd post a little update as I've had a few PMs about the Shark remap. So to cut to what most people want to know... would I still recommend it? Yes. Have I had any problems since the map went on? No.

I still think the smoothness of the map and the mid range pull is what does it for me. I've no experience of the other maps (Revo, APR, Bluefin, etc) but what Shark provide does exactly what I want. Let's call it OEM+. It's perfectly well behaved and yet give it the beans and it pulls hard to the red line. Fuel economy remains steady at 30mpg. This is the same as the standard car returned so no difference there. My journey is always the same, A road, motorway, traffic. If I did longer motorway runs I believe it would be better, but no better than a standard car. In other words I believe the remap makes zero difference to the economy of your car.

As it happens I may soon get to see the other side. I'm looking for a newer car and have been in touch with CN Tuning to get the standard map put back on. This is so I can part-ex the car in standard format. I've got used to the map now so this is my expected performance of the car. So it will be interesting to see how it feels back in standard format!

And finally... it's faster with the remap but you won't catch a B8 S4. No chance, not ever. I've driven one, it's very quick. Guess where I'm off next.... :)

Or you could go k04 hybrid or BT, then it's how it should of been.
Believe me, you would catch an S4 then.
Stage 1 k03 is never gonna compete with an S4 to be fair. That's why I skipped every stage up until present. It still feels OEM just with power.

Hope you have fun with the S4!

Stage 1 k03 is never gonna compete with an S4 to be fair. That's why I skipped every stage up until present. It still feels OEM just with power.

Cheers Craig. Your car is epic, I love it.

The Stage 1 remark was a tongue in cheek comment about that fact that a certain bunch of people assume a remap suddenly makes their car the fastest thing on the road. :)

Reactions: Craig Cull
Cheers Craig. Your car is epic, I love it.

The Stage 1 remark was a tongue in cheek comment about that fact that a certain bunch of people assume a remap suddenly makes their car the fastest thing on the road. :)

Haha, I know what your saying mate. That's why I didn't bother.
I sat last year and toyed with the idea of selling the A4 and buying an S4 B8 just like yourself. They were a little more expensive then, like about £26k+ where as now you can get a good low mileage one for £22k (red one on auto trader, I'm in love lol) but then I paid my A4 off last month so I just couldn't be bothered with any more finance/loan etc. Thought I'd build my own for once. I must admit though, looking at the red one earlier got the cogs ticking haha! Wife spotted me looking at it and gave me the Scarborough warning. :)

So I thought I'd post a little post remap review. My car is now back to standard. In the end I did 10 months and just under 3000 miles with the remap on. Now the car is back to standard it's very apparent what it gives you and in one sentence that is "mid range pull". It really does improve on the standard car a great deal without ever feeling like the car is being pushed to extremes. As I said above OEM+ is probably the best way to describe it.

I had no issues over the 10 months and my fuel economy remained constant at 30mpg.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.