2.0 Tfsi oil pump failure

yorkster001

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an engine reconditioner or alternatively where I can source a replacement engine for my motor? I've considered just replacing the oil pump assembly but having read up in this i'm concerned there may be damage I can't see which may result in the need to replace the engine later.
Any thoughts/experience or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately yes :apologetic:, although how major is hard to say. The chain cog has broken and other damage means replacing at least the pump. Don't want to fork out 4 figures for a new pump to find damage further up the engine. The pump failed at low speed but concerned a ticking/rattle the week before may have been part of the eventual failure. Cars dine 105k so wondering if engine rebuild/replacement is better option.

Unfortunately yes :apologetic:, although how major is hard to say. The chain cog has broken and other damage means replacing at least the pump. Don't want to fork out 4 figures for a new pump to find damage further up the engine. The pump failed at low speed but concerned a ticking/rattle the week before may have been part of the eventual failure. Cars dine 105k so wondering if engine rebuild/replacement is better option.

Sh@t that is a bummer Mate. Is there no way you can get a diagnosis of what needs to be done before investing in a rebuild or a new engine? What was your engine code and was the car on the VAG long life service schedule?

A

Unfortunately from past experience I would say a rebuild or second hand engine would be your only cost affective option. The damage will all ready be done.

IMO the red oil pressure light should say (your engine is ******) because the by the time you see that light, the top end of the engine and turbo has already run dry, so even if you do turn it off in time, the piston rings have already increased the size of the bore due to lack of lubrication, resulting in piston slap and loss of compression.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but that's my honest answer. Sorry to hear. :(

Unfortunately from past experience I would say a rebuild or second hand engine would be your only cost affective option. The damage will all ready be done.

IMO the red oil pressure light should say (your engine is ******) because the by the time you see that light, the top end of the engine and turbo has already run dry, so even if you do turn it off in time, the piston rings have already increased the size of the bore due to lack of lubrication, resulting in piston slap and loss of compression.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but that's my honest answer. Sorry to hear. :(

I reckon a massive EU wide civil claim against VAG challenging their long life VAG BS might be required!

I agree the LongLife interval is too long , whilst the oil is superior but an oil pump would fail through a weak point in its design.

I feel your pain but hopefully Craig Cull is sorting mine out :):)

Engines1st Ltd just rebuilt mine for 1350 delivery both ways. My oil pump let go and spun a bearing. Running well now after the running in period.

For reference my mechanic charged 400 labour and used 280 for parts as I had a bunch of stuff replaced ie. Thermostat, cambelt, pcv, fluids etc

Hi, mate I had something like this happened to me few months earlier, chain on my oil pump snapped and damaged quite a few bits inside the engine. Ended up getting a second hand one for £270 and total bill around £1200 inc labour.

Can anyone recommend an engine reconditioner or alternatively where I can source a replacement engine for my motor? I've considered just replacing the oil pump assembly but having read up in this i'm concerned there may be damage I can't see which may result in the need to replace the engine later.
Any thoughts/experience or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Did you get a new engine after mate?

I'm new here, so just gonna jump in quickly if thats ok....

just bought a 2005 DTM, so my first job is having the pick up pipe, chain and tensioner done (not exactly cheap, but needed lol), and I was thinking about the pump as well. With regards to the oil pump failures, is it mostly just the chain letting go, or could I spend out on having the oil pump chain replaced, and still stand a good chance of having the pump give up?? I dont mind spending a bit of money as I got the car a bit cheaper than usual prices, but if I stretch to the pump as well, I'd be looking at a good £1k of parts and labour, and could still have the engine let go! So I may as well keep my fingers crossed and wait until my time is up if the pump can still fail even if its got a new chain.

sorry for hijack

just bought a 2005 DTM, so my first job is having the pick up pipe, chain and tensioner done (not exactly cheap, but needed lol), and I was thinking about the pump as well. With regards to the oil pump failures, is it mostly just the chain letting go, or could I spend out on having the oil pump chain replaced, and still stand a good chance of having the pump give up?? I dont mind spending a bit of money as I got the car a bit cheaper than usual prices, but if I stretch to the pump as well, I'd be looking at a good £1k of parts and labour, and could still have the engine let go! So I may as well keep my fingers crossed and wait until my time is up if the pump can still fail even if its got a new chain.

sorry for hijack

Valid question, but simply open a new thread mate. It's not hard :) Probably get the experts to advise on what is what.

sorry for hijack
Usually it's the drive gear snapping in half that locks causing the chain to snap. The oil pump isn't really under any load tbh. But I guess you can always make it future proof by replacing it. You'll be looking at £800 just for the pump alone. But while your in there and if you have the money then I would recommend it.
I've just rebuilt an A6 and we've replaced EVERYTHING. Runs sweet as a nut and will be good for easily another 100k.