2.0 tfsi oil pump chain

Spanner 1980

Reaction score
Does the chain for the oil pump need to be timed up in order for it to be replaced? If so are there any guides on replacing this? The reason I ask is I'm just replacing my engine due to the sprocket and chain failing and I don't want it happening again. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, Spanner I can't answer your question but someone will be along soon to help am sure. Can you tell me what engine code you have and how many miles has your engine done, out of curiosity.

Please advise and good luck with the fix Mate.

BR
A

It was a bwe with 98k miles with full Audi history, I have now bought a 51k mile bwa and I'm in the process of changing everything over and thinking I have just bought a ticking time bomb!

It was a bwe with 98k miles with full Audi history, I have now bought a 51k mile bwa and I'm in the process of changing everything over and thinking I have just bought a ticking time bomb!

Thanks for the info......I hope not for your sake Mate. Not sure which engine codes were affected with fragile cam chains....it's not that common on here, although these been a few threads for sure....that mileage isn't that high for it failing either...especially with full VAG history. Did you get any notice of the BWE chain failing?...was it rattling badly before it went, or did it just go. Sorry, don't mean to rub salt into your wounds...am just very curious......you've been unlucky I think. Am sure you'll have better luck second time round.

BR
A

Are you talking about the cam chain for the intake camshaft or the one for the oil pump? I know you mentioned the oil pump. But there are 2 chains just confirming which one it is. If you are refering to the chain that sits at the rear of the motor then yes your need the timing lined up. As for the oil pump one which sits near the timing belt then I would assume no. But dont hold me to that. Wouldnt harm putting it TDC on the cambelt then installing the chain for the oil pump.

Can the chain drive not be replaced with the sprocket drive? I seem to remember having read that it can.

I'm just in the process of having my BGB stripped down from a suspected oil pump chain failure (123k miles). Hoping it's 'just' the chain wrapped round the crank.

Can the chain drive not be replaced with the sprocket drive? I seem to remember having read that it can.

I'm just in the process of having my BGB stripped down from a suspected oil pump chain failure (123k miles). Hoping it's 'just' the chain wrapped round the crank.

Paranoid69, did you get any warning of your chain failure ( noise, rattle etc ) or did it just go. I have the BGB and am on nearly 140k Miles......and I would be interested to know if there's any symptoms before it goes.

Cheers
A

Started as a misfire on cyl 4, worse when cold. Had it looked at, went down the wrong line (changed plugs and coils with no change, had various sensors checked). Oil pressure and compression were checked and were fine.
No definite clue that it was the oil pump until it blew on the M11.

My oil pump has blown at 95k mileage. Rattley engine on start up before hand but dissapeared once warmed up , this was the only sign of failure beforehand but i didnt know this.

Have you found out exactly what failed? Mine's been dismantled and the oil pump, shaft and chain all look ok, the strainer/pickup is partially blocked. Shane it took the head with it when it failed.