2.0 tfsi oil leak

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
Morning all,

As the title says i have an oil leak on my 2.0 tfsi avant. It appears to be leaking from the backside of the engine and the top of the gearbox is covered too. I am aware the 2.0 tfsi lump drinks oil anyway but nearly a litre in a month is crazy, as well as filling the undertray and marking its territory everywhere you go.

So is there any common faults with components in this area failing? Before i begin hunting for the culprit.

Cheers Alex

worth checking the cam chain tensioner cover, i had many issues geting this to seal-missing bolts, vac pump is also a potential seal issue and also check the camshaft adjuster sensor plug to see if oil is coming through there

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Brake cleaner it all, then, now you're aware of the leak, check daily for signs & thus trails where its from.

Cleaning it off and keeping my eyes open was my first port of call when im back in work, but will look into the vac pump. Cheers chaps

IMG 20180814 21965

So i managed to have the car on the ramp afterwork to investigate the leak. Its looks like the old on the gearbox and back of engine is residual. Its looking like the part in the pic may be the fault as the leakage seems to cover everything below it. Any ideas what this part is?
Cheers

there is a seal which may have been damaged prior or is just leaking now...see below
Upload 2018 8 14 19 44 37

The gasket might not be available from VAG but I bet if anyone pulls it out you could measure it and find one on google

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Charlie Farley
I think it's very possible and I personally would cover all other routes before buying a complete unit , but I suspect on high milage engines the vucuum pump could be well worn in general so a new or recon one would be a good choice.....

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Mines just under 100k, ill have a dig around before buying, is the seal required no 2 on the diagram?

i'd be replacing the internal o-ring seal and the gasket for the external cover , but depends on which is the culprit really, could be an either or situation.
something to keep in mind is that when they get worn , they do become very rattly , some have mistaken a noisy vacuum pump for a worn cam chain tensioner....

That was my first thought when you showed it to me Al! Cant remember it sounding noisy back there so might be worth just trying the seals but bear in mind it will be a **** to get off as its right up against the bulkhead.

To be honest i was a little doubtful when you mentioned the vac pump, as its normally just diesels with them. Anyway its not noisy so hopefully its just the seals like you say! Thats a job for Saturday morning i think, its not good when you put more oil in than fuel!

That's a good link , just a shame its overseas as the shipping is a bit steep , but still way cheaper than a new pump.

That's a good link , just a shame its overseas as the shipping is a bit steep , but still way cheaper than a new pump.

I’m always willing to help some of you out when it comes to shipping things in from the US. Maybe I’ll start something on the side to make it easier on you guys. But seriously, it requires a little trust but let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
sounds like a plan chap, allways get order payment up front or worse case a deposit ….now where is that list of goodies I need...….

nice of you to offer chap, top man.

Reactions: i3oricua
So it took a while but its off. Only issue is the seal sent by tps seems too big even though the part numbers match...
20180818 072651
20180818 072651
IMG 20180818 14765

Did you resolve this prob Alex , if so what did you replace.
I've just been looking around my engine bay for loose wiring and noticed the very same problem , safe to say i'll need to fix the seals in the vac pump, was this fix successful ?

Did you resolve this prob Alex , if so what did you replace.
I've just been looking around my engine bay for loose wiring and noticed the very same problem , safe to say i'll need to fix the seals in the vac pump, was this fix successful ?

I use the term "fix" lightly regarding this. I ordered the seal thinking it was the one for the vac pump housing, but as you can see from the piccys its the one that seals the pump to the engine. Ive kept an eye on it the past couple of months and it appears to have stemmed the worst of the leak ( hense why i use the term "fix" loosely!). I just have a very slight weep from underneath the vac pump maybe another seal has gone? Its not horrendous either way. Be warned, i fix cars for a living, it took me an hour to remove the pump! Also make sure you order the correct seal as there is 2 i believe, mine was the for the revision pump with the seal part number ending in A.

thanks chap,
I have the original pump which is rev F , so the 117A o-ring is the correct o-ring for the pump I have.
On the removal side of things, yep I know its a pain as I had to replace the coolant flange on the back of the block beneath the pump and that was a mission aswell so just taking the pump off will be easy in comparison...
I may just search out a complete new pump though.

cheers
rob

thanks chap,
I have the original pump which is rev F , so the 117A o-ring is the correct o-ring for the pump I have.
On the removal side of things, yep I know its a pain as I had to replace the coolant flange on the back of the block beneath the pump and that was a mission aswell so just taking the pump off will be easy in comparison...
I may just search out a complete new pump though.

cheers
rob

Off the top of my head, i believe Tps quoted me around £350ish for a new unit, i i think the seal i purchased was around £5.60 all in from tps too. Dont let them sell you the most expensive like they did with me!

Good luck fella

Reactions: norad97 and Charlie Farley