2.0 TFSI OIL CONSUMPTION & RATTLE ON BOOST

B4VVM

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI, I have noticed a few concerns please find below:

1) Oil Consumption Issue - 1ltr Oil Every 500 Miles
2) White Smoke - When Engine is warmed up - Cold Start no Smoke
3) Engine Rattle - Odd Rattle sound can be heard - CLICK HERE
I have contacted Audi UK regarding the Oil Consumption Issue, Whom have very nicely offered to look into it further and place it on a Oil Consumption Test.
4) Whilst on boost at higher gear at low speeds I get a crackle from the engine bay and white smoke

I was advised on my last service that the car is a TD1 which again concerns me as I was not aware of this prior to purchasing the car.

Where do I stand with the TD1 if this was prior to my ownership? as a purchaser you can not tell prior to purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 1.8tfsi sounds exactly the same. Also going in for the oil test. The fix is new piston rings, rods etc. all in all round 5k of work. I hope it's under warranty.

Do you have a map on the car?

How bad is the smoke?

do you get the rattle on the boost?

Rattle between 1000 and 2000 rpm under load. Blue smoke often starting from cold when revved and a set of chrome tail pipes thick in black soot even when cleaned with auto sol and driven a mile or two.

I often get white smoke with z cold engine which I put down to condensation burning off. Uses about a litre every 2000 miles but it's getting worse. They have already found a leak on the turbo intake and suggested a new turbo is needed. Oil consumption test starts next week.

Mines similar but the White smoke eventually goes away when the car is hot and has warmed the exhaust up. The turbo will be the least of your worries. If it's the piston rings its a 5k bill alone from Audi if you are out of warranty. Loads of threads on here about it.

I suggest you get it into audio and get them to do a leak test for you, but if it's losing a litre every 500miles it will fail it.

Search on here fore 2.0t oil issue engine repair cost.

Might be worth while getting an after market warranty, waiting a month or two and then sticking it a garage.

I have been in contact with Audi UK and they have offered to put it onto a Oil Consumption Test for FREE, Im not sure if they know as of yet that the car is a TD1.

Lets hope it turns out okay.

TD1 is a car that has been modified i.e a remap

I share your pain.
I had the same problem too.
the cam chain collapsed at 65k miles and cost me
£2840 after goodwill given.
you guys are sitting ducks.

In June 2015, VW AG settled a class action lawsuit in U.S. Federal Court for excessive oil consumption in certain Audi vehicles. The settlement was restricted to vehicles with the 2.0 litre TFSI engine. VW's internal code for this engine is CAEB - at least that is VW's code for this engine in vehicles sold in the United States; this could be meaningless in other countries.
Details of the settlement included reimbursing owners for certain expenses already incurred trying to resolve the oil consumption, in addition to performing certain work to solve the consumption problems. Power train warranties have also been extended in most cases.
Also in most cases which are settled out of court, VW AG denies culpability and is settling for prudence, not guilt.

Mines similar but the White smoke eventually goes away when the car is hot and has warmed the exhaust up. The turbo will be the least of your worries. If it's the piston rings its a 5k bill alone from Audi if you are out of warranty. Loads of threads on here about it.

I suggest you get it into audio and get them to do a leak test for you, but if it's losing a litre every 500miles it will fail it.

Search on here fore 2.0t oil issue engine repair cost.

Might be worth while getting an after market warranty, waiting a month or two and then sticking it a garage.

most warranty companies will insist on a potential customer paying for an inspection report prior to putting a warranty on to prevent that very practice