2.0 TFSI oil burn...

G

_G_

1 litre every 1000 miles but dealer does not want to know...
Otherwise, cannot spot any leaks and no fault codes..

Pretty sure that is not within the tolerances.

Any ideas appreciated.

I find adding half a bottle of Lucas oil additive with an oil change reduces the consumption for a bit.

Yeah, mine uses loads too! Giving 1 litre with a brand new car is a joke - didn't last me five minutes:ohmy: last car I had that munched oil this fast was a Renault 19 16v, and that had a sticker inside the windscreen explaining that it was necessary to constantly top up the oil!

Last edited:
1 litre every 1000 miles but dealer does not want to know...
Otherwise, cannot spot any leaks and no fault codes..

Pretty sure that is not within the tolerances.

Any ideas appreciated.

Yes it's within tolerances. 1 litre every 800 miles is the limit I think from what I was told with mine....

Mine uses about a litre every 1500-2000 miles I think. Although since my last service it seems to be doing more miles per litre of oil.

Mine uses about a litre every 1500-2000 miles I think. Although since my last service it seems to be doing more miles per litre of oil.

Short journeys seems to effect my cars appetite for oil. Short runs it seems to use more...

It's odd....some use buckets of oil and some don't.

Mine thankfully doesn't and barely uses any at all between 5000 mile changes.

It's odd....some use buckets of oil and some don't.

Mine thankfully doesn't and barely uses any at all between 5000 mile changes.

may be it depends on how the engine is broken in who knows? a hard break in may be good for the seals and piston rings and a gentle break in could lead to more oil burning...

I poured a can of BG MOA with this top up... also used BG 44k every 20k miles.

The handbook says that 1 litre every 1000km is considered acceptable, which equates to 1 litre every 625 miles, which lets be honest is a joke!. I've just gone over 5000 miles since buying the car, and to date I've put in just under 1 litre of oil. (averaging about 250ml every month, which judging by others usage I'm content with). What I'd been doing up until recently was every time I checked the oil and it had dropped to the middle of the dipstick, I would top it back up to maximum. This last time I decided to simply monitor it every week and have noticed that it will drop to the middle of the dipstick and then sit there, I havent topped up in 6 weeks now, and the oil hasnt moved. From what I can gather, the 2.0 TFSI engine is renowned for using oil, but unless you're outwith the minimum acceptable usage, audi dont give a rats ***.

Reactions: _G_
may be it depends on how the engine is broken in who knows? a hard break in may be good for the seals and piston rings and a gentle break in could lead to more oil burning...I poured a can of BG MOA with this top up... also used BG 44k every 20k miles.
I don't know either.....there are 2 schools of thought on running in an engine,with one saying to take it very easy for the first thousand miles,and then an oil change before any hooning,and the other says to give it some power and revs from the start.
Both seem to work,as I know people running serious power with no oil use issues,and a heavy run-in,and mine which was very gently run in both from new,and after the rebuild,and also runs around 500bhp,with no oil problems.

My Leon engine is the same, it eats oil and all they say it's within the guidelines and that is that. I dont think it's right to be honest as oil isn't cheap.

Si

Reactions: Minstadave
1 litre per 1000 is the figure i have heard, and i's mostly down to how it was run in, if it's babied the bores glaze and it will never seal correctly without new rings and a de glaze.

the reason the dealers won't do anything is in theory there is nothing wrong...

1 litre per 1000 is the figure i have heard, and i's mostly down to how it was run in, if it's babied the bores glaze and it will never seal correctly without new rings and a de glaze.the reason the dealers won't do anything is in theory there is nothing wrong...
You could argue that mine has been babied twice(once from new,and again when rebuilt),but oil use has never been a problem,so I don't think running-in technique is the whole answer,given that both tehcniques are widely used.

I'm not buying the 'run in' issue either. I followed the Audi book for my run in so it was done as per that. I have done nearly 6k miles since new on 1st Sept and have put around a litre in it overall. So, 0.4 ltrs 15th Jan, then 0.2 Ltrs 31st March, think it had some before Jan too. Lol. My book says 0.5 litres per 1000 km is ok. I would say that is a ****** lot.

"Now let me get to the REAL problem noone has mentioned yet. I am an Amsoil Dealer and have access to Oil Analyzer Testing Kits. What I found when I had the oil tested at 6000 miles and again at 16,795 miles was that the oil had "severe fuel contamination" (over 5% dilution when last tested). This oil only had 4,635 miles on it plus the 4 qts I added between the oil changes. Remember if the rings let oil seep past one way, they also let fuel seep the opposite direction, dumping raw fuel into the oil. This increases the oil burning problem by substantially diluting the oil viscosity. Obviously this also increases internal engine wear. What I'm trying to say is this is a much BIGGER problem than people realize. The engine WILL wear out faster from this. You should have received a warranty extension (now 10 years or 120,000 miles) for Intake Camshaft, Camshaft Follower & High Pressure Fuel Pump for your 2005-2007 2.0L engines. Hmmm imagine that. Do you think they are trying to prevent a RECALL!" - extracted from Topix

WHY IS THIS WARRANTY EXTENTION NOT OFFERED IN THE U.K.?
Mine is a 2007 plate with 68k miles

When I had mine from new it used half a litre in the first 1k miles then only had another half a litre over the next 8k miles until the oil service. Seems odd that some engines require so much extra top up oil.

The US/Canada forums were an interesting read. Over 137, 2.0T owners recognise that burning more than 1 litre every 600 miles is unacceptable. There is long term damage being done to the engine due to engineering flaws. Millions of pounds must have gone into the development of the engine but to admit that it had been a waste of time by Audi would be to sabotage the brand image. What is more concerning is that even 2.0 TFSI engines manufactured in 2010 suffer from this problem.

It has also been an interesting read how different people have come back with different responses from their Audi dealers. Some have been told it was a filter in the oil pan and a modified tube was added (bandage to the problem), some owners have had their crank case ventilation checked more than 3 times... the problem at the end of the day from what I am reading is down to pistion rings, pistons, carbon, valve seals and valve stems. Many have had their engines replaced.

I will chase this up with Audi Germany/UK. I wrote them a long letter. I recently failed the oil consumption test miserably. A dye was added to the oil and before I even hit 500 miles I had used up 3 litres of oil. I love the car but the engine let's it down. Audi don't seem to care about their customers much. I will report back once I have heard from Audi and keep you posted. There may be a wait but I hope it is not too long.

Here is the update. Audi UK sent me a letter and it states that Audi UK are in no way tied down to decisions made by Audi USA. In other words, they do not have to follow the same campaigns as the ones that happen in the USA/Canada. Neither is there any legislation which supports the fact that they should follow one another's decisions and campaigns. So Audi UK will not be offering any such extended warranty of 10 years / 120,000 miles as in the USA. I guess there are way more legal powers State side and people get sued left, right and centre - there is also the Calafornia Lemon Law which protects car buyers.

The letter further goes on to state that any good will that is offered around these parts will be based on loyalty i.e. which dealer network you brought the car from / if the car has had a consistent Audi main dealer service history. If there is no main dealer history then there is a less chance of any good will.

I have installed a catch can for now and sea foamed the car. I don't have the cash to repair the pistons/rings so I am getting rid of it soon. It's a shame because I love the car a lot but Audi support is useless and I see no reason why I should pay another £450 considering I have spent £750 already for the diagnosis. There you have it.

I checked the fuel pump follower on my 2.0 TFSI engine and fortunately it was in good condition, as a precaution I fitted a new one anyway. I think it's unlikely Audi USA/Canada are making warranty decisions without authorisation from Germany.

Last year Audi updated the software, crankcase seal etc because my 2010 car was using excessive amounts of oil. This initially appeared to slow consumption to something like 1 litre per 1900 miles. Since then consumption has become progressively worse with the car, checked yesterday, using 1 litre per 868miles!
I have just over 20000miles on the car which will run out of warrenty next September. Does anyone know how much fitting new pistons and rings etc is likely to cost me through an Audi dealer or alternatively via the motor trade if I eventually end up having to pay for it myself?
If you ended up having to split the engine every 2 or 3 years this would prove to be a rather expensive car to run.
Thanks in anticipation
TheMac

I've just put about a 1\2 litre in mine after 5 months & 4,300 miles of ownership! Total mileage is approaching 32,000. I do mostly short range driving with a few motorway miles thrown in for good measure.

Those that are drinking 1litre\1000miles will be paying at least £140 per average year (10,000 miles) in oil top-ups alone! You must be having a great time with that turbo constantly spun up. I've noticed these engines take quite a while to fully warm up (a good 10-15 minutes of driving) to 90oC, are you guys allowing for that before blatting it?

Might be useful for reference but my MY06 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI went through around a litre of oil every 2 months or so and speaking to the guys on mk5golfgti where I spend much time, they didn't seem to think this was abnormal as such.

Some of the 1.4 TSI engines are rumored to be even hungrier with oil and the dealers have not treated this as a global issue.

It is weird, my old mk5 GTI drank oil like no tomorrow, especially so on a spirited drive. However my S3 has not needed any oil in the last 7 months.

Its the same story on the mk5 forums though, some have a drink problem and some dont.

Those that are drinking 1litre\1000miles will be paying at least £140 per average year (10,000 miles) in oil top-ups alone!

:scared2: I'll have to start adding this into my financial outgoings spreadsheet soon and setup a standing order with TPS. Haha.

Joking aside, I get my 1L Quantum Platinum oil from TPS for £6 so it's not a massive price to pay.

Quick update: since my last post 18 months ago, I've covered 15,000 miles and not put a drop of extra oil in it since the main dealer oil service last year, and this despite a Bluefin remap just after said service.

Anyone else been this lucky?

My car varies and I do the same driving day in, day out. Sometimes I pop a liter in every 800-1000 miles, other times I can go between my 6k oil+filter changes without topping up. No idea what causes the variation.

Done about 2500miles since I bought it (54 TFSI quattro) and its not used a drop. Cars done 73k

Mine doesn't use any, and it's pants are down everytime I use it.

Quite pleased to be honest.

Reactions: CHEZ