2.0 TFSI new 0W-20 engine oil (VW 508) ?

f1nny

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'll apologise is advance for the long post.

As the title says. Have any of you guys heard of the existence of this new specification engine oil for the new 2.0 TFSI?

Before I purchased my A4 I read Audi UK's announcement of the new engine (see below link) which states the use of low friction 0W-20 oil which happens to be coded VW508 according to ETKA and ELSAWIN. It also mentions it in the owners manual along with Alternative oil of VW504. Which is pretty much the standard engine oil used across the entire modern VAG range

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/l...s-new-high-efficiency-tfsi-petrol-engine.html

When I picked up my A4 and realised there wasn't the usual free litre of oil in the boot. I questioned where it was, to which the salesman kindly got me one out of the boot of a vehicle in show room. Upon looking at the specification of the oil it was 5W-30 VW504/507. This is were I questioned the salemans about the new VW508 engine oil my engine takes. He said he hadn't heard of it but would go ask one of the service technicians. On his return he said that the technical. Had never heard of it and that they use VW504/508 oil to fill up ALL new Audis during services and PDIs.

He mentioned to me that all new Audi comes from the factory with the oil 2/3 full and the rest is topped up during the PDI and that they would of put VW504/507 in mine. After that I just said "ah ok" and left.

On my return home and thinking about this new oil. I decided to email Audi UK to see if VW508 is compatible with VW504. 2 days later I get a call from a nice girl from Audi UK who said to me she had spoken to the technical department at Audi UK who said they were only just aware of this VW508 themselves and that as the new A4 2.0 TFSI is that new that it might be the reason why the dealership was unaware of this oil. She also said that they are unsure if the two oil are compatible or now and that she would ask the factory directly.

A week passes and I get another call from Audi UK to say that the factory's says their unsure if it's compatible (I find that hard to believe) but they wouldn't recommend mixing the two. So now comes the problem as the dealership I got my car from said they fill up all engines during PDIs. Upon mentioning this to the Audi UK they said they don't recommend mixing oils. To which I replied the dealership might have done during my PDI.

Basically I'm now waiting for the dealership to find out if mine had been filled up (VW504) during the PDI. If so Audi UK said they might have to go down the route of doing a oil change (at their expenses I hope asi won't be footing the bill).

I just hope if they have filled it up during the PDI that is doesn't affect the longtime reliability of the engine/turbo etc. As I plan of keeping this car past its 5yr/90000mile warranty.

Finny

Reactions: scotty76
508.00 was always destined to be a 0W20 , 504.00 5W30 is a top VW oil it's just 20 grade is purely aimed at mpg economy , if it provides the same protection all good !

Don't get it confused with South American 508.88 and 509.99 VW spec oils , lol .

Reactions: xpoweruk
I love that even the factory seem confused. That bodes well. :(

Oh no!!! No more issues with another 2.0 TFSi engine! The saga with the B8 model was bad enough!

Incidentally, there seems to be problems surfacing with the new 2.0tfsi lump in the US!

I'm sorry but where does it state that there are issues with the engine, this is just a query about the oil that was answered. Plus the problems you refer to are for cars manufacturered in mexico and the issue was indentified..

I'm not liking what I read here. I am aware of the 2.0 TFSI oil consumption debacle and was aware of the issue of premature cam wear in some B5 S4s (and maybe RS4s). In both cases moving to a higher viscosity oil could at least alleviate the problem. Using a 0W20 oil to improve efficiency is all well and good as long as Audi have engineered the moving parts to limit wear with such a low viscosity oil. I'm not sure I trust them to have got it right. :(

Reactions: JulianW, Gazwould and ScottishA4B9
Looking at the manual - for the 2.0 190 PS it says:
For variable service VW 508 00 , alternatively VW 504 00
For fixed service VW 502 00

So for fixed service it takes the same oil as any other A4 petrol and for long life the older oil is still OK.

Maybe get the dealership to drain and re-fill with the new spec oil. It doesn't look like a few weeks running on the 504 spec oil would be a problem and it's allowed as an alternative. Maybe lower mpg with the lower spec oil?

Well it's so new this 508.00 I'd hang fire till it's been experienced a bit more .

No doubt a thinner 0W20 will have less drag thus , mpg , power and torque will be on the up .

Any data sheets on it ?

I suspect its a thick 20 around 9 Centistokes.

No I don't have sheet. I will request though one when Audi UK ring me back this weekend to see how I've got on with the dealer. Which are still to ring me.

I will hopefully get to the bottom of it. I'm pretty sure the factory in Germany know what type of oil was put into what cars on what days. If it turns out that they used VW504 that production day or week then all is fine as the dealership have only ever used VW504.

Only thing I'm bothered like I say is whether the two oil are compatible and can be mixed as I have no idea what oils have or haven't been used in mine haha.

Issues I meant regarding the dealership putting in the wrong oil.
Slighty different from the excessive oil consumption certain versions of the old engine had though and the now cured issues in the states. I doubt if mixing a small amount of oil will have that kind of detrimental effect..

You have completely misunderstood my post!
I am sorry then, but I'm still not sure what point you were making. If the dealership doesn't understand what oil should be used then that's there fault and for them to feedback to audi...

Just thought I've give a quick update guys.

Had a phone from Audi UK on Thursday saying they'll contact the dealership and ask them to do a bit of digging with regards to the VW508 & VW504 compatibly.

Anyway today I got a call from the dealership saying they've spoke to the factory and have been told that VW504 is compatible with VW508 for the new 2.0 TFSI if using VW504 to top up but it is not compatible on other engines. For example any TFSI engine that normally takes VW504 as standard can not be topped up with VW508.

They said that there's only two engines in the Audi range that can take VW508 and that they're the only engines that can have VW504 used to top up.

They also mentioned that come a service the customer has the choice to have VW508 or the alternate VW504 used for the oil change. They just said the VW508 is for improved fuel economy (and probably emissions).

Anyway I'm not sure why Audi UK couldn't of found out this information instead of asking the dealership. Audi UK have now said they're happy with the information the dealership provided and are happy to say there shouldn't be any problem with mixing oils.

Not much more I can ask of them really. They have both been pretty helpful in getting to the bottom of the matter. Let's hope they are right. Time will tell.

Finny

Actual viscosity units @ 100°C , around 9 ?

VW OEM , Shell , Castrol or Quantum ?

Not sure. I forgot to ask about the data sheet if I'm honest. They said to me they don't even have it in stock yet as it's that new of an oil and that factory have said for them to use VW504 until dealerships start stocking it. Will send them another email on Monday to see if I can obtain one and find out what brand they use. The engine oil cap says Castrol but as we all know that means nothing but an endorsement.

Actual viscosity units @ 100°C , around 9 ?

VW OEM , Shell , Castrol or Quantum ?

Just a quick update.

Audi never replied to my email in end. Anyway the new oil got announced at start of JunE and it's going to be supplied by Castrol but won't be available in dealership until Jan 2017.

Here is the data sheet which I managed to find on Internet. Means nothing to me :) ha

Thanks , it's just on the thicker side of a 20 grade .

2016-06-03-08-36-39-jpg.93062

So new confirmed VW 0W20 LongLife specs.

508.00 Petrol
509.00 Diesel .

Interesting thread.....

I emailed ErWin, who contacted the factory technical department for me and they stipulated ONLY VW 508 00 & 509 00 is to be used in vehicles where the maintenace sheet specifically states a solitary oil classification of VW 508 or VW 509 LL4 oil.
If ErWin does not list a 504 or 502 oil for the new engines (2.0 TFSI EU6, 1.5 EVo EU6 and 1.0 EU6 to name a few) then the only oil to be used for these engines is VW 508. Fixed or flexible servicing intervals, the oil has to be 508 /509.

Audi UK are incompetent and winging it as usual.
VW 508 00 LL4 oil has a unique identifying dye in it, so when engine problems arise the first thing Audi are supposed to do is identify if the new oil has been used. If not, warranty issues can arise.

I think it's fairly well documented by now that Audi UK have issues with telling the truth where warranty issues (costs to themselves) are concerned.

For me this was quite an easy thing to investigate, I emailed ErWin and they emailed me back with the factory answer, why the half wits at Audi Uk are incapable of such a simple thing as emailing the authors of the service documents is beyond me.

Use 508 509 only where it is the sole oil specified in the factory repair manuals, ignore all others who say you can mix and match with gay abandon.
The Factory position is clear.

For information: VW UK's OE parts supplier TPS also fail to supply or list the correct oil for the new EU6 engines.
This is due to shortage of supply from their new Quantum oil supplier Fuchs, having abandoned Castrol who developed the 508 / 509 oil with the factory engineers to do the job it is designed to do.

Another comedic episode by Audi developing here by the looks of it?

Reactions: Filipão and Gazwould