2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Audi are absolute scum, they could do the right thing but only do in a few cases when cornered. I’m about £3k down so far. Causing me so much extra stress being carless and knowing I’ve got a huge bill. So tempted to drive the thing through a showroom

Reactions: mister.c.
Following on from my experience with Audi regarding the fix

I got no courtesy car due to covid 19 but they tried to give me 1 from enterprise at a cost of **** knows 20 odd quid a day. I work in a bodyshop and got 1 from my boss for free

I got a call Thursday our technician found a leak in your coolant and you need a new water pump at a cost of £168, I haven't topped my coolant up for 6 month after a fix i had done, hmm really.

I appreciate getting the fix done for free and they were determined to get something out of me granted but surely a leak in my pump id have noticed

Pick my car up Tuesday when I can pay for the water pump

Did anyone get a water pump fitted free? I'm thinking this was just a recommended replacement to guarantee their fix was 100%

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I picked up car today all I got told was piston ring conrod repair, no break down of what was carried out

My service advisor said new spark plugs and filter on the major service, they couldn't even top my brake fluid up or quote me a price to do it. I now have a service light that won't go out until this is drained and refilled

All I got was my invoice for water pump so I know nothing about the repair and was told because the repair was free she didn't think there was a warranty on their repair

I was led to my car and luckily before I left I did a walk round of my vehicle only to find a badly damaged door which now looks like will have to be booked back in, tried to pull a fly one
eba43405c8fec0fa7a061c36de1ca8d5.jpg

Reactions: mister.c.
Hi all. Some advice from this forum would be really useful. Got a 62plate 2012 A4 1.8tfsi with approx 82,500 on the clock full Audi service history with 2 recalls noted in the service history, 1st at 3717 miles and a code of 17E4 and 2nd at 8971 with code of 48K8 does anyone know what these may refer to?
Also had oil pressure warning light problems, only at idle while at traffic lights. Had a decent indie guy do a fair bit of work looking for the fault, as oil pressure is under 10psi at idle.
So replaced water pump as it seemed the cam shaft adjusters where not operating correctly, didn't help, then a new oil pump again didn't work, so then put a new camshaft carrier and camshaft plus timing gear and seals.
This worked and no oil pressure problems.
Until 6weeks ago when the same oil pressure issue has started.
During Covid lockdown the car was only being used really short journeys to the supermarket probably not up to temp.
Reading this thread I'm wondering about a blocked oil pick up filter, due to short journeys, any thoughts anyone?

Second to contact Audi with the oil consumption issue, do you just call local Audi garage and get the thoughts?

Thanks for any help, thoughts, advice
Cheers
Andy

Good morning all.

Just thought I'd give my experiences with regards to the oil consumption issue. I recently purchased an a3 1.8tfsi which immediately started burning through oil.

I contacted audi which recommended completing the oil consumption test. They found an oil leak which needed sorting first.

The car failed the initial oil consumption test within 120miles! When it came to writing a case I was challenged with the usual "not full audi service history" (but does have fsh). I pushed back and highlighted that out of the 9 stamps 4 were audi and the final 2 were intact at a seat dealership!

Fast forward 5 weeks and I received the call that audi have agreed to pay 90% with the customer (me!) To pay 10%. I thought this was fair enough for a car with 116k miles.

Car is booked in for the week beginning 5th october at bromley audi.

I found that if you appear to know what you're talking about (I'm not a mechanic but had read numerous threads about the issue) they seem to take you a little more serious.

I'm also an NHS key worker which I think given the current climate also helped!

Hope that helps anyone.

Rav.

Beyond lucky basterd, my car had 100k on and Audi said it was at the 100k mileage mark plus the fact that someone had remapped the car somewhere in its past, nothing known by me and it’s tough luck. £4K later and the garage that fixed it basically didn’t, so I’m £4K down with the same oil useage and trying to sue the garage when I can afford to.

All this because of what should have been a recall. Audi you are scum. PCV replaced too

Good morning all.

Just thought I'd give my experiences with regards to the oil consumption issue. I recently purchased an a3 1.8tfsi which immediately started burning through oil.

I contacted audi which recommended completing the oil consumption test. They found an oil leak which needed sorting first.

The car failed the initial oil consumption test within 120miles! When it came to writing a case I was challenged with the usual "not full audi service history" (but does have fsh). I pushed back and highlighted that out of the 9 stamps 4 were audi and the final 2 were intact at a seat dealership!

Fast forward 5 weeks and I received the call that audi have agreed to pay 90% with the customer (me!) To pay 10%. I thought this was fair enough for a car with 116k miles.

Car is booked in for the week beginning 5th october at bromley audi.

I found that if you appear to know what you're talking about (I'm not a mechanic but had read numerous threads about the issue) they seem to take you a little more serious.

I'm also an NHS key worker which I think given the current climate also helped!

Hope that helps anyone.

Rav.
That I must say is a cracking result !

Most have been lumbered with 100% of the cost.

Reactions: S3 Rav
I'm in the process of purchasing of 2011 1.8 A4 with 53k miles on the clock. There is no evidence of the issue currently (exhaust tips look ok and no smoke) and the previous owner hasn't had an issue with oil. Just wanted to make sure my back was covered further down the line as it's claimed to have a full service history, but unsure on how to interpret the service history certificate provided.

Is the service history I've attached similar to those who have had repairs done with goodwill?

There were 2019 and 2020 service as well which were done after the attached certificate, neither of which have raised any issues.

Thanks in advance

Upload 2020 10 20 9 36 13

Last edited:
Hello all
After owning a BMW 320i NA 2L engine 5 years it was stolen 2 week ago so needed a replacement. I have done some homework before I bought a 2009 2.0 TFSI 211.
I am aware of the oil consumption and the timing change tensioner. BMW and Merc 2L petrol also have the chain tension issue so no hiding unless i went for Toyota or Honda.

I understand there was 3 stages of oil consumption repair. I have bought this car because there is a folder of Audi receipts that made me part my money.

Looking at the invoice i found
Stage 1 Nov 2016 58k. Audi asked owner to drive car 620 mile. Looks like the skipped changing the PCV and went to stage 2.

Stage 2. Nov 2016.. Audi warranty invoice showing 4x piston, 1 conrod, 4x injectors and many more. The 2nd page of this invoice is £3.4k

Stage 3..Dec 2016. Audi warranty invoice shows Engine replaced. Part £4.7k and labour £2k.

I wanted to know from your knowledge if a engine was fitted by Audi under warranty would it have the later engine that does not trouble with oil and timing or do I have to deal with that when the mileage has increased. Engine was replaced at 58k and current mile is 87k.
The car drives so nice, so quite and just a little turbo whoosh when i put foot down

Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• Stage 1.jpg
    Stage 1.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Stage 2.jpg
    Stage 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 351
  • Stage 3.jpg
    Stage 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 344
  • Injectors.jpg
    Injectors.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 343
Im looking at buying a 2012 B8.5 facelift.
Do you know if this issue has been resolved or is it still something going on?
The one in question is reasonably high miles around 120k.

Should be fine with 2012 onwards...i had a 2011 B8 2.0 Dynamik which had the issues... Stay well clear from 2009/2011 engines unless your certain the chocolate pistons /conrods have been replaced

Should be fine with 2012 onwards...i had a 2011 B8 2.0 Dynamik which had the issues... Stay well clear from 2009/2011 engines unless your certain the chocolate pistons /conrods have been replaced
I have a Dynamik, currently on 47K. Do you know when the oil consumption issue became apparent, or was it an issue when you bought it?

I have a Dynamik, currently on 47K. Do you know when the oil consumption issue became apparent, or was it an issue when you bought it?
It's completely a when not if mate. Could happen anytime, I'd be surprised if a car without the fix has made it 10-11 years without the problem presenting itself regardless of the mileage it's currently on.

If you're not sure if your car has had the fix I'd phone up Audi and ask for a report on the service history?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JamesRyder
It's completely a when not if mate. Could happen anytime, I'd be surprised if a car without the fix has made it 10-11 years without the problem presenting itself regardless of the mileage it's currently on.

If you're not sure if your car has had the fix I'd phone up Audi and ask for a report on the service history?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I can't remember if I called Audi about my current car, or another Dynamik that I nearly bought, but Audi told me that whichever car I enquired about hadn't had any work done with respect to this issue. It doesn't appear to be using an excessive amount of oil right now but I'll give them a call and double-check for peace of mind. I appreciate the advice, thanks!

Reactions: Nitro_CR
I have 2009 Dynamic 211bhp version. Its had new engine fitted by Audi at 58k miles about 4 years ago. I have come across forum problem starts around 50k to 60K. My engine used 1L per 2000 miles since the i did a oil service.

I have a work collegue recently had the piton ring issues repaired free. Although her car is 2010 model, she did buy the car brand new and full Audi service history.

I bought the car from an independent garage who said the fix had been applied when it hadn't. Luckily it had full Audi service history so they cover the 5k costs. As others have stated, you will know if you have the issue. I was topping up the oil as often as fuel before the fix.... Perhaps 1ltr every 600 miles.

Mine's now on 91k and had the issue rectified way back around 50k, I check the oil level fairly regular and it hasn't budged so far in my ownership....there again if the engine decides to go bang bang at some point I'll have to either drop a b8.5 version in or go all out and turn it into an S4 :whistle2:

Hi all,

I picked up car today all I got told was piston ring conrod repair, no break down of what was carried out

My service advisor said new spark plugs and filter on the major service, they couldn't even top my brake fluid up or quote me a price to do it. I now have a service light that won't go out until this is drained and refilled

All I got was my invoice for water pump so I know nothing about the repair and was told because the repair was free she didn't think there was a warranty on their repair

I was led to my car and luckily before I left I did a walk round of my vehicle only to find a badly damaged door which now looks like will have to be booked back in, tried to pull a fly one
eba43405c8fec0fa7a061c36de1ca8d5.jpg

Is this Audi in Braehead?

Beyond lucky basterd, my car had 100k on and Audi said it was at the 100k mileage mark plus the fact that someone had remapped the car somewhere in its past, nothing known by me and it’s tough luck. £4K later and the garage that fixed it basically didn’t, so I’m £4K down with the same oil useage and trying to sue the garage when I can afford to.

All this because of what should have been a recall. Audi you are scum. PCV replaced too

Are they still not recalling? I suppose it’s a mass f up, so they are trying to save money wherever they can. Particularly after the diesel scandal as well.

I got caught up in the whole issue in the early days when Audi were denying it. They peed me around something chronic and it was only when I was standing in the middle of the showroom and shouted ‘ do me a favour; take the car around the back and torch it’ that they started taking some proper action. I ended up paying £400 for the repair, which I later recovered once they started to concede. I had to phone them though, they didn’t offer it up.

It’s ironic really. Out of all the cars I’ve owned, my B8 2.0T was the most unreliable. The most reliable was my B3 2.6 convertible which I sold about 4 years ago.

That’s now been superseded by my E350 2014 estate, which I’ve owned for 7 years and it is just about to hit 100,000. It still pulls like a train and runs like a dream. The only fault is the NOX sensor has been replaced for the third time, but Merc have admitted it’s common, so replace them for free. (Apparently BMW have the same issue)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had my A4 11 plate's engine rebuilt back in March after a near 6 month claim. Lucky for me I kept taking out Audi's extended warranty. After a long story I was finally told by the dealer that AudiUK won't rebuild them after the car has passed 10 years old. I had to paid £250, but the final bill was around £7k with £3700 just for the parts alone. Now the car runs like dream and all the oil burning has gone.

Prior to the oil consumption issue, my timing chain failed just as I had come off the motorway and was stationary at the lights. I was told by Audi that I was extremely lucky, because if it had failed whilst I was on the motorway, it would have been a complete new engine, costing me £9k. Off the top of my head, I think I paid almost £2k for the repair.

I thought the oil consumption test was about £4.5k, but maybe since 2011, it’s gone up in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello. I'm a new member on here, hoping to get some kind of answer.

I've recently paid a deposit on a 2009 Audi A5, with a 2L TFSI engine. I later realised that these engines have an issue with oil consumption, which I know was eventually rectified. I believe that the engine in this car has the code CDNB. I've read that the effected codes were CAEB, CDNC and CNDC. However, I don't know and can't find if the CDNB coded engines were effected, which I'm trying to find out. The car does have some service history (not from Audi) and has 100K miles on the clock. It is a petrol car. I've asked the dealer if there's any record of any work being done to correct the issue, but there isn't. I imagine that something must have been done to sort it, as I would've thought that the car wouldn't have survived this long if nothing had been done. It's such a shame, as it's a lovely car.

Any help, or answers will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Depends on the miles and also some people have been suckered by the dealer with free oil top ups. If there's no record of it being fixed, I would not touch it without a warranty. Plenty of other reasons to get a full warranty since stuff breaks all the time even on low miles ones.

The updated pistons were released later so I would suspect the CDNB has the same faulty ones.

Reactions: Bilty
Hold out for a 2012 face-lift model, or buy one with paperwork proving work done. My car has all the paperwork plus I spoke to the previous owner who had the work done and I rang the service department of dealership that did the work, all 3 including the current seller clarified the information I had. Personally I wouldn't risk it without that sort of provenance. My car has done 55k since the rebuild and doesn't use a drop of oil. There were plenty of seller's including small dealerships that apparently had no knowledge of the issue...

A little update on my situation. I've spoken to a technician at Audi and gave him the reg and VIN number. He was able to reveal that the A5 that I paid a deposit on, has had three warranty repairs. Two in 2011 (two together at 14,800 miles) and the other in 2016 (between 56 & 57000miles). He was unable to find what exact repairs had taken place, I can't remember why. However, he said that it's very likely that one of the repairs involved fixing the oil consumption issue. Was there an average mileage when the oil issue started to begin? I'm asking, as I would've thought that 14,800miles would've been a bit premature for that to happen.

Last edited:
Well as I understand it the issue started to get bad around the 45/50k point so that could very well be the engine rebuild time..Mine was done around 55k

Well as I understand it the issue started to get bad around the 45/50k point so that could very well be the engine rebuild time..Mine was done around 55k
I'm surprised that a warranty repair could still have been carried out by then, as the car would've been 7 years old.

Last edited:
If the work was carried out by Audi, it should be on their system. The technician should be able to see this. Walk away from this and get a 2012 plate for piece of mind. I had a B8 My 11 plate with this engine. It was drinking a litre of oil every 600miles at 33k, so no where near the 50kmiles. Cost of having the work done was around £5k at the cost of Audi not me thank god.

If the work was carried out by Audi, it should be on their system. The technician should be able to see this. Walk away from this and get a 2012 plate for piece of mind. I had a B8 My 11 plate with this engine. It was drinking a litre of oil every 600miles at 33k, so no where near the 50kmiles. Cost of having the work done was around £5k at the cost of Audi not me thank god.
The work was carried out by Audi. He did say why he couldn't access what exactly had been done, but as I said before, I can't remember. I think it was something to do with the system. I wish I could remember now.

The work was carried out by Audi. He did say why he couldn't access what exactly had been done, but as I said before, I can't remember. I think it was something to do with the system. I wish I could remember now.
Ring or visit another dealer if you don't want to pester the same one. You need to find out before parting with your hard earned fella, trust me having weight of a potential £5k repair bill is not good. Any dealer should be able to print off the service history.

Ring or visit another dealer if you don't want to pester the same one. You need to find out before parting with your hard earned fella, trust me having weight of a potential £5k repair bill is not good. Any dealer should be able to print off the service history.
It isn't the service history which I'm referring to. It's repairs that have been done under warranty by Audi. It's not the dealer, where the car is who I've spoken at the garage. I got in touch with Audi UK, who said I would need to phone my nearest Audi dealer, which I did and that is where I spoke to the technician.

Last edited:
That warranty work at 7 years and 55+K miles doe sound a lot like major engine work that Audi could not get out of paying for.

As said, you really need to talk to the service desk to get the full run down and what warranty work was carried out at both times, the info will be there and not concealed deliberately.

That warranty work at 7 years and 55+K miles doe sound a lot like major engine work that Audi could not get out of paying for.

As said, you really need to talk to the service desk to get the full run down and what warranty work was carried out at both times, the info will be there and not concealed deliberately.
I'm also thinking that about the repair. I did ask the technician is there any way at all that he could find out exactly what had been done, but he said he couldn't. As said before, I can't remember, but I think it was something to do with the system. He was very helpful though and patient.

My 2013 A4 2.0 has the problem. I just started measuring the time between adding. The first time was 1114 miles before it told me to add a quart. I have just turned 70K miles.

Hold out for a 2012 face-lift model, or buy one with paperwork proving work done. My car has all the paperwork plus I spoke to the previous owner who had the work done and I rang the service department of dealership that did the work, all 3 including the current seller clarified the information I had. Personally I wouldn't risk it without that sort of provenance. My car has done 55k since the rebuild and doesn't use a drop of oil. There were plenty of seller's including small dealerships that apparently had no knowledge of the issue...
Sorry, my 2013 with right at 70K miles has the issue. 1 quart at 1114 miles.

My 2013 A4 2.0 has the problem. I just started measuring the time between adding. The first time was 1114 miles before it told me to add a quart. I have just turned 70K miles.
Have you just bought the car or had it a while?
By 2013 the engines were sorted I believe...so doubt its the issues raised in this thread.
The pistons/conrods issue resulted in 1ltr of oil per 621 miles... Your getting double this.