2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Argh...car was supposed to be booked in today. Drop it off anytime they say after a phonecall yesterday. We will have a courtesy car available.

Go in for half 7am. No cars available. None available until 6pm. WTF?!

Let's see what they give me. I have told them it has to be A4 size or bigger.

They are stating £930 for a modified venitlation cover. They are now saying that the warranty dept are advising it may not be covered even though I have comprehensive warranty. haha. Its not an oil leal ***. i am waiting for their response before i let them know that A. Why does it need to be a modified cover when the original one clearly isn't up to standard and thus FAILED. They should never have installed it when they made the car and B. I am covered for "mechanical failure"

Andy, did you get any paperwork to say what the part number of the new cover was?

Reactions: andyay123
Thank you for that, I'll look up the parts listing and see what this means, I think the few weaknesses with that engine are PCV and thermostat, though each involve quite a bit of deep intervention, for me, ideally I'd just get in there and do that to avoid any annoying surprises - maybe!

Edit:- right, yes that is the PCV valve that is included in that assembly, fair enough, nothing unusual.

Another Edit:- the number should be 06E 103 547H

Last edited:
Thank you for that, I'll look up the parts listing and see what this means, I think the few weaknesses with that engine are PCV and thermostat, though each involve quite a bit of deep intervention, for me, ideally I'd just get in there and do that to avoid any annoying surprises - maybe!

Edit:- right, yes that is the PCV valve that is included in that assembly, fair enough, nothing unusual.

Another Edit:- the number should be 06E 103 547H
They advised it was 5 hours labour

I think that is where the "4.80" comes into the equation, I seem to remember that the supercharger needs to get lifted out of the way.

So it’s in. They misplaced the test results, but eventually found them.

Got an A5 tdi ultra as a courtesy car. Not very nice to drive in my opinion. Nice interior though.

260 miles in and its dropped down one unit. Assuming 16 units on the gauge so that equates to 4160 miles??!?

Got the car back today. Been told to 'take it easy' for 500 miles. Not a single penny paid. They wouldn't give me a detailed job report for some reason, I think because there was no charge. They even listened to me not to clean the car!

Let's see what happens...

Got the car back today. Been told to 'take it easy' for 500 miles. Not a single penny paid. They wouldn't give me a detailed job report for some reason, I think because there was no charge. They even listened to me not to clean the car!

Let's see what happens...

While you must be very happy indeed to get that car sorted out (hopefully) to be as it should have been when it left the factory, I'd still be expecting a detailed work sheet - ie a FOC bill outlining what exactly the p/ns of all parts replaced and the general description of what was carried out on that engine, it is your property so you have that right of access to that information, some of which might be relevant to any future wear and tear repairs that engine needs later on. I think that you should make that clear to your dealer, their accounts department will have a copy of that "bill of work" as they will be billing Audi UK for it. I'm not trying to turn this into a blame and shame event any more than any of these events are, but really for your records for that car, you are entitled to that information and it would be best to get hold of it now.

Reactions: V6_Man
Well, I prepared a youtube video about a year ago ( ) and have my Audi's engine rebuilt after 1 month later. Then in october 2017 I started a law court case. Now experts have prepared a report stating that the car is defective since manufacture. :) Next session is in this October and the court will probably arrive at a decision and hopefully the decision will be a happy end for me.

LG-D855 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Reactions: V6_Man
So I have done 38 miles so far, and the oil gauge has dropped one bar from full....

Maybe interesting times ahead...there also seems to be a rattle somewhere.

So the day arrived, much as expected and after a mammoth 313 miles I was back to Audi on Saturday to drop off the car. Spoke to the Service manager who was pretty much with me that it would be a fail and "pistons and con-rod" job. TBF customer service aspect has been pretty good, he asked how long I'd had it (5 years) and then service history - I'd gone to the trouble of ensuring I had all the service invoices which were all Audi anyway.

So call arrived Monday to confirm I could pick it up, it was a fail luckily they are able to fit it in w/c 11th so works out great timing wise for me. They confirmed they'd contact Audi UK no need for me to worry.

After a bit of chat and a couple of phone calls to confirm more details I asked about the cam chain tensioner and the tech checked the works list and it's replaced as part of the job, also getting them to check/replace spark plugs and do the front bushes as additional work for me.

Also confirmed that they would provide a full description of the works completed for my own records for when I come to sell the car in the future.

Service Tech was really good, ended the call with, "we'll get it in, repaired and back to you not burning oil!"

So fingers crossed all goes well and week of 18th I get the car back.

So kudos to everyone for their posts, I do think it's been pretty stress free for me but mainly because I've read 37 pages of posts and subtly let them know I know this is an issue for these engines.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 271
So car in and work done, annoyingly the service manager was on holiday so a couple of things still to bottom out, one main one being the detail of the pistons and con-rods not being on the invoice nor in the service logbook under additional work but happy to wait until he's back.

As there was additional work required I got it all done at the same time so the invoice is broken out into various "Requirements" the ones which Audi covered are not on the final billed invoice to me.

As you'll see from pics Requirements A,C and D are missing, quite a bit of the work was done as parts only.

Overall pretty pleased with things just need to nail down the paperwork and it'll be all good.

Attachments

• Snip20180621_1.png
    Snip20180621_1.png
    456.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Snip20180621_2.png
    Snip20180621_2.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 297
It is a pity that what sounded like the perfect approach being taken by your dealer over this FOC repair work to be messed up a bit by the actual content of the FOC engine repair being not covered in your paperwork. All these dealers really need to understand that that type of work, wrt the paperwork should be done as if you are paying, with only the hours and all material costs at zero value. Their accounts department will have been sent a detailed breakdown along with costs for them to charge directly to Audi - so they should be able to give you a copy of that with all hours and material costs zero'd.

Edit:- oh bother I've just written that same sort of comments to a posting from someone else further up this page, ah well, at least I am consistent! This happened to me when my wife's Polo had its first service and that car was on a bought at a good price 3 years service plan + MOT, the service person was confused as to why I had expected any paperwork when I was not paying for that work, now that might have been roughly true, by I had pre paid for that work at the time of the car purchase. Their solution was to contact their accounts department a week or 2 later and request that a copy was either emailed or posted out - typically I just let it go - but that was only paperwork for a normal first service - you deserve/need your FOC paperwork just in case etc.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Becoming increasingly concerned by my recent findings since discovering my oil level was low approx a week after purchasing the car. Purchased 1st June with 61k on clock.

I used to own a MK 1 TT 225 Quattro however, it used to drink oil...

I've now bought a MK2 TT 1.8 tfsi roadster and I absolutely love the look of it. It drives beautifully but history is repeating itself on the oil front.

I only owned my last TT for over a year due to experiencing the dashpod fault and having poor service experience with Audi and therefore, I wasn't too bothered that the recent one I've bought didn't have FASH. Most of the services have been done by a local garage to where the car was originally from.

The problem is, it's consuming approx 1L of oil in 650-700 miles. Now I'm fully aware of the fact that this would fail Audi's consumption test but if they're not going to do anything about it due to my lack of Audi service history, is it even worth me getting the test done?

I'm stressing so much about the fact that I absolutely love this car and even considering my poor history with cars, I actually thought this one would be a keeper. I'm honestly sat here panicking about the fact that I've just part exchanged an 18 month old car for this because for once, I thought I'd treat myself and now I'm left with a car that could potentially have serious problems if I don't get the problem resolved.

I clearly can't afford the engine rebuild with Audi as much as I would love to if I had the money, as the car is beautiful to look at and drive. Just makes me so angry that Audi know they're at fault with the design so why aren't they just saying "Sorry, we'll sort them all". Absolute joke.

Is there anything else that could be wrong instead of this likely issue?

Urgh. Feel sick to the stomach if I'm honest.

Last service was July 17 @ 59k where spark plugs were replaced following a fault code present for cyclider 1 misfire.

Any help/info/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Krissy

Well mine got done 2 weeks ago and to say it's been stress free would be an absolute lie. Picked the car when they said it was ready only to find it wouldn't start properly and then when it did fire up there was an engine warning light. It's been in with them ever since with them throwing random parts at it in the hope of sorting it. Finally admitted today that they haven't got a clue what's wrong with it and they don't know when I'll be getting it back. I'll give them credit for the fact they are going to sort whatever it is free of charge for me but find it a bit of a joke that it went in in perfect condition other than the oil usage and now it is an undriveable car. To be honest i just want it sorted and want my at back but God knows when that is going to be. Pretty frustrated with it all.

Hi all,

Becoming increasingly concerned by my recent findings since discovering my oil level was low approx a week after purchasing the car. Purchased 1st June with 61k on clock.

I used to own a MK 1 TT 225 Quattro however, it used to drink oil...

I've now bought a MK2 TT 1.8 tfsi roadster and I absolutely love the look of it. It drives beautifully but history is repeating itself on the oil front.

I only owned my last TT for over a year due to experiencing the dashpod fault and having poor service experience with Audi and therefore, I wasn't too bothered that the recent one I've bought didn't have FASH. Most of the services have been done by a local garage to where the car was originally from.

The problem is, it's consuming approx 1L of oil in 650-700 miles. Now I'm fully aware of the fact that this would fail Audi's consumption test but if they're not going to do anything about it due to my lack of Audi service history, is it even worth me getting the test done?

I'm stressing so much about the fact that I absolutely love this car and even considering my poor history with cars, I actually thought this one would be a keeper. I'm honestly sat here panicking about the fact that I've just part exchanged an 18 month old car for this because for once, I thought I'd treat myself and now I'm left with a car that could potentially have serious problems if I don't get the problem resolved.

I clearly can't afford the engine rebuild with Audi as much as I would love to if I had the money, as the car is beautiful to look at and drive. Just makes me so angry that Audi know they're at fault with the design so why aren't they just saying "Sorry, we'll sort them all". Absolute joke.

Is there anything else that could be wrong instead of this likely issue?

Urgh. Feel sick to the stomach if I'm honest.

Last service was July 17 @ 59k where spark plugs were replaced following a fault code present for cyclider 1 misfire.

Any help/info/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Krissy

Krissy, I might be missing a point here, but I thought that all these engine issues were only happening with "inline" versions of these engines and not, as in your case, a transverse version/installation.
How much action is there on the TT section of this forum as regards this sort of issue, also much action on any of the Golf, Leon and Octavia forums on this problem with your version of this engine?
This might just be a breathing issue, so not so intrusive/expensive as you are thinking - find a good VAG Indie and see what they say first?

Ok so today on my way home the oil light came on saying top up 1 litre but still safe to drive. Now considering I had new pistons, con rods etc almost 2 years ago FOC by Audi I’m a little concerned as it’s the first time the oil light has come on since the repair.

Now I know these Audi’s are thirsty on oil and I do drive it hard at times so maybe it’s just natural consumption but still got me worried that the issue has come back (can it come back after the repair??) My local mechanic changed the oil I’d say within the last 12 months so not as if is been 2 years since oil changed, by which I’d expect a little top up.

Has anyone else experienced this AFTER the repair?

Thanks in advance

Depends how much city driving you do, miles on the engine, oil, how much you gun it etc.

Even a "bulletproof" b8.5 that I know of eats 1L of oil per 5,000 km with city driving.

I commune to work each day, 18 miles round trip, 81K on the clock and regularly “gun” it to 5/6 K RPM when overtaking etc. I’m just concerned as it’s the first time the lights come on since having it repaired

Actually long continuous journeys result in more oil consumption than city drive. If this is your case, the mechanic in the official service point who performed my car's engine rebuilt stated that after a successful rebuilt the oil issue will not be supposed to repeat in the future. On the other hand, if you usually drive long distances without stop which causes the engine to become much more hot compared to as in city drives, only one 1 liter refill might be probable between two successive periodic maintenances, 15000 kms.
Ok so today on my way home the oil light came on saying top up 1 litre but still safe to drive. Now considering I had new pistons, con rods etc almost 2 years ago FOC by Audi I’m a little concerned as it’s the first time the oil light has come on since the repair.

Now I know these Audi’s are thirsty on oil and I do drive it hard at times so maybe it’s just natural consumption but still got me worried that the issue has come back (can it come back after the repair??) My local mechanic changed the oil I’d say within the last 12 months so not as if is been 2 years since oil changed, by which I’d expect a little top up.

Has anyone else experienced this AFTER the repair?

Thanks in advance

LG-D855 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

I'd agree with that and as long as the oil usage is not excessive I'd think that your engine is still okay, how oil tight the engine is after rebuild will depend on how good a job they did scrubbing/roughening up the cylinder bores before fitting the new pistons and rings etc - and just how oval the bores had ended up becoming prior to this rebuild/rectification of engine.

Just following along with this I got my car back last Thursday (finally) and have done approx 300 miles in it. Checked the mmi today (I know this isn't an 100% accurate measure) but the oil level is showing at about 1/4 of the way down. Surely this can't be right already? I didn't think to check this when I picked the car up in just assumed they wouldve filled it. Is this something to be worries about?

Just following along with this I got my car back last Thursday (finally) and have done approx 300 miles in it. Checked the mmi today (I know this isn't an 100% accurate measure) but the oil level is showing at about 1/4 of the way down. Surely this can't be right already? I didn't think to check this when I picked the car up in just assumed they wouldve filled it. Is this something to be worries about?

For your own peace of mind, I'd get hold of a litre of the same oil and add in roughly half of it and see where this takes the MMI oil level and maybe add the rest if it looks like it still needs it. By doing that you will quickly know that you have filled the sump up to the correct level and/or a known to you starting point, then take it from there to build up confidence in that repair.

So I bought my B8 avant (Just 29k mileage) this weekend and although I havent seen an excessive use of oil just yet, I thought I would go to my local dealer and request for an oil consumption test as I do around 200 miles a week. Quite a few of the advisors didnt really know about this issue and the one who did requested that if I wanted the test done, I would have to pay for both parts of the test. Unfortunately, the service manager was unavailable and am awaiting a call back to discuss further, just wondering if anyone has had to cover the cost of the tests in the first instance?

Thanks in advance!

Personally I can see your concern, but I think that you will need to wait until you do know that that engine is drinking oil at an excessive rate. No sensible Audi dealership's workshop is going to book that car in and run tests on the fact that "lots of them are drinking oil and need fixed" - it is operating a business so needs to ask for cash when providing a service. Now if/when things do look bad, and you have contacted Audi UK maybe they will approve a FOC oil test.

Edit:- remember they are taking say for example 40 cars through their workshop a day, if your car uses one of these time slots and they are being expected to pick up the costs and hope that Audi will "see them alright" - that will affect their performance, now if you were a very good customer of their's then maybe they might take a chance on getting the money back, but it sounds like as a new Audi owner, this is the first and maybe the last they will see of you.

Personally I can see your concern, but I think that you will need to wait until you do know that that engine is drinking oil at an excessive rate. No sensible Audi dealership's workshop is going to book that car in and run tests on the fact that "lots of them are drinking oil and need fixed" - it is operating a business so needs to ask for cash when providing a service. Now if/when things do look bad, and you have contacted Audi UK maybe they will approve a FOC oil test.

Edit:- remember they are taking say for example 40 cars through their workshop a day, if your car uses one of these time slots and they are being expected to pick up the costs and hope that Audi will "see them alright" - that will affect their performance, now if you were a very good customer of their's then maybe they might take a chance on getting the money back, but it sounds like as a new Audi owner, this is the first and maybe the last they will see of you.

Had a call this evening and the earliest they could even look was in October, so if its gonna happen I'm sure I will see it within this time.

I will see how the car goes and give them a call if I start to see the issue arising.

EDIT: The car has FASH which I am planning on keeping up and so I will be there quite often with the mileage I will be doing.

Last edited:
So I bought my B8 avant (Just 29k mileage) this weekend and although I havent seen an excessive use of oil just yet, I thought I would go to my local dealer and request for an oil consumption test as I do around 200 miles a week. Quite a few of the advisors didnt really know about this issue and the one who did requested that if I wanted the test done, I would have to pay for both parts of the test. Unfortunately, the service manager was unavailable and am awaiting a call back to discuss further, just wondering if anyone has had to cover the cost of the tests in the first instance?

Thanks in advance!

I paid for the test and the repair, but that was back in the day when all this was kicking off. If any Audi advisor doesn’t know the issue, they’ve either got their head stuck up their own a&se or they’re new to the business.

Foolishly after I eventually negotiated the refund for the rebuild I had forgot about the test so essentially paid for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Guys,

I have been reading all the threads. I Have got exact same problem as you guys on my
A4 1.8T its a 59 Reg. Its drinking oil like no tmorrow. I have took it to various different garages they couldnt fix anything. Round about 200+ miles it asks for a full liter of oil.

First i thought and some garages it might be turbo seals worn. It wasnt.

I went into Audi - they guy just told me “Mate i think its just a Faulty sensor just keep topping up when it says low oil level, i have changed few sensors recently”

However i felt like he was just trying to get rid of me at that time, did not mention anything about oil consumtion tes
I wanted to ask will audi fix it for me. Beacuse i cant afford to get a brand new engine put in the car its only done 66k . I really like my car too.

As im a student. Trying to save money.

Please if someone can guide me. As my univeristy is about to start in a weeks time. I want to try and fix it before i start.

Thank you

If only. I wouldn’t have been less disappointed with the car if I did drive it like that all the time.

I received multiple £1000 bills for things going wrong way before the engine issue. The timing chain failed within the first year of ownership. Luckily at the lights otherwise that would have resulted in a new engine! The last straw was 4 new shock absorbers a month after having the engine rebuild.

My wife wasn’t happy I bought it in the first place because of all the problems I had with my previous B6, but the issues pailed into insignificance compared to the B8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is vouch for that...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/7306667/top-10-most-least-reliable-used-cars-to-buy-now/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I'd seen this thread before purchasing a 2011 A4 2.0 B8.. Bought from a non-Audi trade dealer and I do get 3 months warranty with it (not sure if that will cover the oil issue..?) I pick it up on Saturday and am worried it's got the problem. I do have full Audi service history until 2016 and then indie ones since. 94k on the clock.

Reckon I'll get successful here?

I just called Audi UK to get a rough idea on how they're handling it. The guy really wasn't interested and said speak to a dealer about it, also said I'd have to pay for the oil test even though its a design fault. He also said Audi UK have no say over how much is paid by themselves for the repair and it's down to the dealer..? Sorta contradicts what others have said in this thread.

Last edited:
you should be okay if you have full audi service history. Go to your local audi dealership- the oil consumption test is free. The guy at audi uk is talking sh-it.
Okay that's good, given a slight peace of mind. I've had a read through all pages here and seen all the success stories so my fingers are crossed.
I did speak to my local Audi earlier today just to see what they would say (I spoke to somebody I actually know and have history with). After I told him the situation he went off to chat with one of the higherups and rang me back saying they could cover 80% of the cost leaving me with a bill of just over £1000 - Not ideal of course as I've seen others in here who paid nothing at all.

First of all your car will probably be ok as the fault was from 2009 until mid/late 2010, so is your car is a 2011 it should be ok anyway. I Conan pretty much guarantee that if you have any problems and you have that service history then you will get the work done free of charge , also you do not pay for the oil consumption test . But as I said I think your car on that plate will be fine

Reactions: ckl139
First of all your car will probably be ok as the fault was from 2009 until mid/late 2010, so is your car is a 2011 it should be ok anyway. I Conan pretty much guarantee that if you have any problems and you have that service history then you will get the work done free of charge , also you do not pay for the oil consumption test . But as I said I think your car on that plate will be fine

Wow really? I've yet to find anywhere that says otherwise as all articles I've read and from people's posts in here it was 2009 - 2011, even the thread title lol :/ I hope you're right of course.

Hi, have read a few threads and posts but wanted specifically ask if the this effects the A6 fitted with 2.0 tfsi engines?

I assume it does but wanted to confirm?

Further to that following in from above posts would a clear on a 60 plate REGISTERED in 2011 be affected by the issue ? I assume the BUILD would have been in 2010....?

In short seen a nice a6 but it has this engine....

Hi all ... any views on my post above ? Not gone to see car yet due to this potential issue. To add car doesn’t have Audi history but has been serviced at Indy for most part.

I would guess that these engines were altered/improved to remove that issue, and that altering/improving would evolve that engine code to a new engine code.
So, if that is how things are done, find out what the pre-change troublesome engine codes were and what the altered/improved engine codes are.
Ideally find out the engine code and s/n of this car and ask Audi what the built period of this engine was.