2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

I am thinking because they have had a massive influx of repairs, probably more than they anticipated, audi UK are starting to feel the pain financially regarding these repairs and are starting to tighten the reins a bit.
So sad to here such bad experiences.

To my amazement my car passed it's test. Although i'm still not sure how as I checking the MMI throughout. After 200 miles it was showing 0.75. After 500 miles it was down to 0.25 on the in car gauge. Didn't check it anymore after that as i was convinced it had failed. But the dealer passed it. The service manager did come and explained to me how. In my case they don't have to drain the oil from the engine. They do for some engines but not the type in my car. It's an 2011 A4 2.0 TFSI with 43k on the clock. They check the oil level via a computer. The showed it had used oil but was still within Audi's guide lines. I think his explanation was something along the lines that the car gauge only shows the level in the sump not the total oil level in the entire engine. Well that's what i think he meant. Still not sure myself if i have that right. Anyway it passed as far as they are concerned so they can't go can further for now. Audi UK and the dealer have told me if it starts to burn oil then even if it's like 18 mths time or whatever then as long as the correct has been used at servicing time then i'm still covered for a rebuild. The correct oil used is the sole thing that Audi need to know for a claim, confirmed to me by Audi UK. So the service manager told me to just drive it, top it up when the car tells me and just monitor the mileage. Why they don't just recall them all as others on here have said is beyond me.
Do you have 100% audi service history?

Do you have 100% audi service history?

Hi, yes i do.

The girl i was dealing with in the service dept told me providing Audi service the car in the future then the car develops the oil problem they will cover 100% of the repair cost, whenever that might be i.e 18mths time or whatever. If you have the car serviced not by Audi you will need proof that the correct grade of oil was used. That's the key to it to get them to cover the total cost, confirmed by Audi UK over the phone afterwards. She also told me that she had customer recently who missed an service. They had to pay 10% of the repair cost.

Hope that helps.

Audi UK changing tactics then to bide time. The oil is weighed, sealed then reweighed! Isn't that what an oil consumption test is? Mine had a small bar left on the mmi but was confirmed as using 0.8 litres during the 621 miles. Me thinks Audi are definitely taking the **** now and glad mines gone!!
By the way that was a late may 2011 model so there's no difference in years etc..

Hi, yes i do.

The girl i was dealing with in the service dept told me providing Audi service the car in the future then the car develops the oil problem they will cover 100% of the repair cost, whenever that might be i.e 18mths time or whatever. If you have the car serviced not by Audi you will need proof that the correct grade of oil was used. That's the key to it to get them to cover the total cost, confirmed by Audi UK over the phone afterwards. She also told me that she had customer recently who missed an service. They had to pay 10% of the repair cost.

Hope that helps.
Well that's something then. Mine didn't and couldn't prove on paper what oil went in so gotta pay the 10%. They should still cover the full cost after all its a manufacturing fault.

Reactions: gpu@audia5
Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting your experiences with your Audi. It has really helped for me to become less stressful after hearing the experiences.

I bought mine privately (46K miles) about a month back. Has full service history but not full audi service. Driven less than 300 and the oil warning came off. I have topped it once but I am certainly sure my car is one of many affected. I was very disappointed at first to read that a premium car like Audi have this issue. I bought Audi for its reliability and didn't suspect anything major like this. I was getting stressed about the repair as the costs are too high for me to personally repair it. After reading this forum has given me a new hope that something can be done.

Personally, I think Audi UK should have done a recall and fixed it for once. That would have keep their brand reputation intact.

I am in Manchester but which dealership should I go to. Stokport or Manchester? any ideas.

Have a good weekend.

Well that's something then. Mine didn't and couldn't prove on paper what oil went in so gotta pay the 10%. They should still cover the full cost after all its a manufacturing fault.

Mitchc82@ what are your plans? did you get any reply from the dealer?

I am in the same boat as you.

Good luck

Hi all.
Just bought a 2008 audi tt 2.0tfsi registered march 2008. Engine number starts BWA so my research tells me my engine is type no EA113 and not EA888 which seems to have the oil consumption issue. Forgive my ignorance I have seen somewhere engines affected are between 2008 and 2011 but could someone clarify this please and also if engines ea113 are not affected...hoping not as my tt was registered march 2008.
Did check my oil recently seems to have used approx 0.3ltr 628 miles.

If it's using oil I would bet my left crown jewel that it is affected.
I had my engine replaced, and has not used a drop.
Give audi UK a call expressing your concerns, if you have full history audi or not, and can prove the cars oil has been to correct specifications by means of receipts and such, you have a chance of a repair

Hi Chez
Thanks for that will do. Can I ask what car you have and year ?

Certainly, and as previously posted its an A5 on a 59 plate, one that was a known offender.
But I suggest reading this thread from start to finish as it really is educational, some cars have been included other than the usual suspects
Good luck

Hi
Mitchc82@ what are your plans? did you get any reply from the dealer?

I am in the same boat as you.

Good luck
Hi there, yes the car is going in next Monday for the work. It's going to cost me £650 not happy but it's dragged on now so just want to get it sorted. I put 2 ltrs in the other week and that's all gone. I'll still make it clear to the dealership that I'm not happy about the ordeal.

I
Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting your experiences with your Audi. It has really helped for me to become less stressful after hearing the experiences.

I bought mine privately (46K miles) about a month back. Has full service history but not full audi service. Driven less than 300 and the oil warning came off. I have topped it once but I am certainly sure my car is one of many affected. I was very disappointed at first to read that a premium car like Audi have this issue. I bought Audi for its reliability and didn't suspect anything major like this. I was getting stressed about the repair as the costs are too high for me to personally repair it. After reading this forum has given me a new hope that something can be done.

Personally, I think Audi UK should have done a recall and fixed it for once. That would have keep their brand reputation intact.

I am in Manchester but which dealership should I go to. Stokport or Manchester? any ideas.

Have a good weekend.
I spoke to citizens advice about this and they said to speak to whoever you bought it from as I'm sure they knew about the problem. You could tell them they sold you the car with a problem and say you want half towards the fix. If I had of found out earlier about my car I would of spoken to the guy who sold me it but as it's been well over a year I didn't bother.

Hi

Hi there, yes the car is going in next Monday for the work. It's going to cost me £650 not happy but it's dragged on now so just want to get it sorted. I put 2 ltrs in the other week and that's all gone. I'll still make it clear to the dealership that I'm not happy about the ordeal.

Hi,

I know it's going to be pain to pay all that money and Audi should just pick up these costs. But at least it will all be sorted for you and you will get back your peace of mind.

I am going to make my claim shortly.

Good luck

I

I spoke to citizens advice about this and they said to speak to whoever you bought it from as I'm sure they knew about the problem. You could tell them they sold you the car with a problem and say you want half towards the fix. If I had of found out earlier about my car I would of spoken to the guy who sold me it but as it's been well over a year I didn't bother.

Hi Mitchc82,
That's the first thing I did. So I am in touch with CAB but its all going slow and since I bought it privately. My case is not that strong and will depend upon the goodwill from the guy I bought it.

Will keep everyone posted

OK I've got my a4 1.8tfsi back from Audi, the invoice states they have completed 'piston modification'
I am a bit sceptical as to whether or not the fix will have been effective, as after 400 miles the oil level on the mmi has dropped 2 bars (about 1/3 of the indicated full display). Anyone any idea what quantity of oil is indicated on the mmi? Anyone had the fix done and it fails? Assumedly if it does fail audi will have to redo, even though the fix has been completed as a goodwill gesture?

OK I've got my a4 1.8tfsi back from Audi, the invoice states they have completed 'piston modification'
I am a bit sceptical as to whether or not the fix will have been effective, as after 400 miles the oil level on the mmi has dropped 2 bars (about 1/3 of the indicated full display). Anyone any idea what quantity of oil is indicated on the mmi? Anyone had the fix done and it fails? Assumedly if it does fail audi will have to redo, even though the fix has been completed as a goodwill gesture?

The quantity of oil showed on the mmi is 1 litre in total. I did the oil test recently and after 500 miles it was down to a 1/3 and it still passed. The service manager did come and explained to me how but i'm not convinced. In my case they don't drain the oil but plug a computer to the car and read the level of the TOTAL amount of oil in the sump. They don't go by the mmi at all according to them. It did show it was burning oil but still within Audi's guidelines. Just waiting for the oil light to appear now. I would imagine that if yours is still burning oil you should take it back. Probably have to do another oil test to prove it.

One of the things puzzling me these days is if the problem is with piston rings then surely replacing just piston rings wouldn't cost that much of money. In that case it's the amount of labor required is more expensive than the actual parts.

It will get expensive repair only if the piston has to change as well along with rings and other parts. In some cases they need to replace the whole engine. then the charge may be justified in some cases

One of the things puzzling me these days is if the problem is with piston rings then surely replacing just piston rings wouldn't cost that much of money. In that case it's the amount of labor required is more expensive than the actual parts.

It will get expensive repair only if the piston has to change as well along with rings and other parts. In some cases they need to replace the whole engine. then the charge may be justified in some cases

I was told by Audi that they change all the pistons not just the rings plus the con rods. If when they take the engine apart they found the bores are scored they then replace the whole engine.

Hi Mitchc82,
That's the first thing I did. So I am in touch with CAB but its all going slow and since I bought it privately. My case is not that strong and will depend upon the goodwill from the guy I bought it.

Will keep everyone posted
I know what you mean by slow, CAB basically told me my issue would be with the person who sold you the car but as it had been over a year since I bought it I didn't bother going down that route. I got my car back today after the repair and was £549 I contributed. They said it was going to be £650 originally so was that was something. However checking the oil after driving round today it looked like it has used some which I was surprised about so I have a feeling it's still using oil! So will keep an eye on it a keep you guys posted

Hi Satis.

Thanks for your reply. Has anyone tried replacing just the piston rings privately.? How much it may cost.

My oil consumption test was done and I have been advised to drive 621 mile and then come back or if the Low oil warning comes before.

Since I don't have a full audi dealer service history I am suspecting I will have to make a contribution. So I want to keep all the options open.

Will keep updated.

Thx

I know what you mean by slow, CAB basically told me my issue would be with the person who sold you the car but as it had been over a year since I bought it I didn't bother going down that route. I got my car back today after the repair and was £549 I contributed. They said it was going to be £650 originally so was that was something. However checking the oil after driving round today it looked like it has used some which I was surprised about so I have a feeling it's still using oil! So will keep an eye on it a keep you guys posted

Hi Mitch,

My hopes from getting any help CAB was low so I finally went to the dealer armed with all the info from this and some other posts.

I am glad it's all sorted for you and hope the oil level does not go any lower.

Do you see a lot of blue smoke after driving and when the engine is fully warm.?

My low oil level warning is yet to come so will keep everyone updated about the progress.

Hi Mitch.

How is the oil consumption on your car? is it any better after the repair?

My car failed the First stage today. Around 200 miles driven. Taking the car to the dealer for the second stage tomorrow.

It's been a while since I checked this thread and I'm shocked that so many of you are still going through the torture of getting these engines fixed by Audi...

A bit of a re-cap from my camp as to what I went through for anyone just realising they have an issue with theirs or looking at buying one...

• I have a 2011 2.0t A4 B8 Dynamik (211BHP) with FASH (approx 33k when purchased)
  • I bought from and independent garage
If anyone reading this is looking at any 1.8/2.0t 2010/2011 cars and cant prove that either the car has FASH or the Indy invoices that backup the correct oil has been used in the service... WALK AWAY from the deal. It's just not worth your hassle & stress....

I had mine fixed by Manchester Audi free of charge around 6months ago. You should NOT be required to contribute to the Oil consumption at all, any garage asking for payment of this is basically taking the p!ss! I chatted to numerous service reps and Manchester whilst the car was in/out etc and they consistently say anyone without FASH stamps will have to "prove" that the correct Oil has been put in by the Indy garage otherwise they will have to contribute to the cost of the repair. If you have to contribute, I would ask for a breakdown as the costs seem to vary all over the net... mine was around 5k, I didn't ask for a breakdown as I wasn't paying. The final invoice just mentioned, Pistons, Rings, Conrods etc all replaced FOC but the bulk of the cost will come in Labour. The car was in for around 4 days and I had a courtesy car offered at no cost to me.

With regard to the Oil consumption tests... Audi should completely fill your oil to the top. The entire engine holds approx 4.6l oil and the digital MMI readout represents 1 litre of this. I believe they tie off/lock access to the sump so you cannot drain any away yourself for obvious reasons...You are required to drive 621 miles. You must return to Audi at the end of this 621 miles (or before if the Oil warning light activates which is an outright fail) which depending on how many miles you do can be difficult in itself to manage! They will then drop the remaining oil from the sump and measure what is left giving you pass/fail.

Tips on the consumption test if you are borderline pass/fail - Try and avoid motorway driving during the 621 miles, the Oil burns at a slower rate as its generally more economical than driving around city/town! Thrash the nuts (legally of course) off it if you can as this will burn more oil and finally, just sit in your car with the engine idling with a cuppa for long periods of time as this will also use more oil and you are not driving any miles ;0)

I have since done around 4000 miles since the fix and the Oil on the MMI still shows just a couple of notches off full which would have been around 8 litres of oil by now in comparison! I thought the engine was good before the new pistons but it's even more responsive now ;0)

Good luck to everyone, I hope you all get a result from Audi, but it shouldn't even have to come to this, they should all be done FOC![/B]

Reactions: Curley89 and gary_a4_quattro
It's been a while since I checked this thread and I'm shocked that so many of you are still going through the torture of getting these engines fixed by Audi...

A bit of a re-cap from my camp as to what I went through for anyone just realising they have an issue with theirs or looking at buying one...

• I have a 2011 2.0t A4 B8 Dynamik (211BHP) with FASH (approx 33k when purchased)
  • I bought from and independent garage
If anyone reading this is looking at any 1.8/2.0t 2010/2011 cars and cant prove that either the car has FASH or the Indy invoices that backup the correct oil has been used in the service... WALK AWAY from the deal. It's just not worth your hassle & stress....

I had mine fixed by Manchester Audi free of charge around 6months ago. You should NOT be required to contribute to the Oil consumption at all, any garage asking for payment of this is basically taking the p!ss! I chatted to numerous service reps and Manchester whilst the car was in/out etc and they consistently say anyone without FASH stamps will have to "prove" that the correct Oil has been put in by the Indy garage otherwise they will have to contribute to the cost of the repair. If you have to contribute, I would ask for a breakdown as the costs seem to vary all over the net... mine was around 5k, I didn't ask for a breakdown as I wasn't paying. The final invoice just mentioned, Pistons, Rings, Conrods etc all replaced FOC but the bulk of the cost will come in Labour. The car was in for around 4 days and I had a courtesy car offered at no cost to me.

With regard to the Oil consumption tests... Audi should completely fill your oil to the top. The entire engine holds approx 4.6l oil and the digital MMI readout represents 1 litre of this. I believe they tie off/lock access to the sump so you cannot drain any away yourself for obvious reasons...You are required to drive 621 miles. You must return to Audi at the end of this 621 miles (or before if the Oil warning light activates which is an outright fail) which depending on how many miles you do can be difficult in itself to manage! They will then drop the remaining oil from the sump and measure what is left giving you pass/fail.

Tips on the consumption test if you are borderline pass/fail - Try and avoid motorway driving during the 621 miles, the Oil burns at a slower rate as its generally more economical than driving around city/town! Thrash the nuts (legally of course) off it if you can as this will burn more oil and finally, just sit in your car with the engine idling with a cuppa for long periods of time as this will also use more oil and you are not driving any miles ;0)

I have since done around 4000 miles since the fix and the Oil on the MMI still shows just a couple of notches off full which would have been around 8 litres of oil by now in comparison! I thought the engine was good before the new pistons but it's even more responsive now ;0)

Good luck to everyone, I hope you all get a result from Audi, but it shouldn't even have to come to this, they should all be done FOC![/B]

I have exactly the same car as you; 2011 A4 2.0t Dynamik with currenty 43k. My car passed the test to my surprise as the 1st time i looked at the mmi after 200 miles it showed 3/4 full. After 500 miles it showed 1/4 full but as i said it still passed. I'm now up to 800 miles since test and the oil light still hasn't come on. The service manager told me they don't drain the oil but read the level in the sump via a laptop. Only on some engines do they need to drain the oil but not with the engine in my car. They told me the car is burning oil but it's still within Audi's guidelines. I still found it strange though going by the mmi readings i was seeing. I have FASH plus 1 year warranty too. I will have Audi service the car when it's due and because i want to keep the car for probably at least another 3 years as i love it, i will look into extending the warranty if i can for peace of mind.

Hi Satis... mmm.. for info if your oil level only shows 1/4 full after driving 500 miles (e.g. 3/4 empty)then surely this is a fail? For info, I had about a 1/4, just less maybe when I finished my test and mine failed?
The MMI readout at half level should theoretically represent 0.5ltr Oil burn. If your car has burned more than this over 621miles then I would expect a fail... I hope they are not yanking your chain on this mate, which dealership did the test?

Also you say you've travelled 800miles without the oil light activating, is this around town driving or motorway? I regularly achieved 1300 miles when motorway driving before the oil light came on, hence you should try to have the 621 test done when you are driving around town (if possible of course).

The fact that you have Audi warranty, you will be fine in the long run just don't let them fob you off!.

Also, anyone thinking of taking out a 3rd party warranty to cover the potential work, I wouldn't bother imo as they generally come back with "this is general wear and tear of the engine and you are not covered" blah blah

...my engine is type no EA113 and not EA888...

GeorgeTT - my 2011 A6 has an EA113 engine (BPJ code) and suffers oil consumption issues. It failed multiple consumption tests with the dealer, and after stripping back for inspection they concluded it was highly likely to be a piston ring issue. But regardless they maintained that their acknowledged piston ring geometry manufacturing/design issue only relates to the EA888, so they refuse to cover any costs... (despite full Audi service history).
Very interested to hear if you get a different experience.

Hey guys,

I own a 2012 a4 2.0t and have been getting the same problems you guys have been mentioning. After months of me putting a quart of oil in every other week i finally decided to bring my audi in to get testing done. After completing the 2 step process for them to see that clearly the car wasnt passing the consumption test the dealer contacted audi usa for a final verdict to see what would need to be replaced and how much if anything they were going tocover for the repairs. Well little to no suprise they have to replace the pistons, the rods and he also head gasket? Which is different than what ive been hearing with other cars. Anyway my dealer contacted me the other day say basically that Audi will only cover half of the repairs which came out to 6k! So they will cover 3k out of "goodwill" plus the dealer said he could get the dealership to throw in another 400$ so i would be paying 2600$....idk what to do at this point i definetly cant affors to paying 2600 on a brand new car i thought i wasnt going to be having problems with, my next option is contacting audi usa and fighting with them directly. What do u guys think i should do?

I'm really surprised to hear Audi US are charging for the repair when they lost the law suit. You definitely need to push back on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised to hear Audi US are charging for the repair when they lost the law suit. You definitely need to push back on this.

Im going to, the service rep from the Audi Dealership tried to tell me that the 2012 models didnt have the same issue and only older ones, but clearly that is not the case...this is beyond frustrating. I guess im going to have a word with Audi US on monday

Forgot to mention the car currently has around 68k miles, so the warranty has run out. Obviously this has some to do with Audi not wanting to pay the full costs, but even still at only 68k miles, for an Audi that is not alot. Regardless i think they should have to pay for their mistakes, but do you think because of the fact theres no more warranty i could lose this case in court (if i need to bring it to that point)

my car was out of warranty when i went in for the test, so i don't think that should be an issue; the problem is a manufaturing fault, not wear and tear over time.

my car was out of warranty when i went in for the test, so i don't think that should be an issue; the problem is a manufaturing fault, not wear and tear over time.

You don't need an warranty to get the repair done Audi has told me just proof that the coreect grade of oil was used during the service.

Hi Satis... mmm.. for info if your oil level only shows 1/4 full after driving 500 miles (e.g. 3/4 empty)then surely this is a fail? For info, I had about a 1/4, just less maybe when I finished my test and mine failed?
The MMI readout at half level should theoretically represent 0.5ltr Oil burn. If your car has burned more than this over 621miles then I would expect a fail... I hope they are not yanking your chain on this mate, which dealership did the test?

Also you say you've travelled 800miles without the oil light activating, is this around town driving or motorway? I regularly achieved 1300 miles when motorway driving before the oil light came on, hence you should try to have the 621 test done when you are driving around town (if possible of course).

The fact that you have Audi warranty, you will be fine in the long run just don't let them fob you off!.

Also, anyone thinking of taking out a 3rd party warranty to cover the potential work, I wouldn't bother imo as they generally come back with "this is general wear and tear of the engine and you are not covered" blah blah

Hi yeah i'm still confused by the mmi readings (give me a dip stick anyday). Anyway i will just drive the car and see what happens. As i said i have a FASH plus an warranty till this November. If i keep the car (which i want too) i will extend the warranty if possible.

Thanks.

Hey guys, still cant get thru to Audi US. Everytime i call it brings me straight to voicemail, has anyone else had this same problem? This is so frustrating

My Audi A5 Failed the first stage so provided all prev service invoices to the dealership. I got call within a day from dealer confirming second stage repair but at a cost of @1068. Not too happy about it. Going to speak to Audi UK tomorrow. Any tips when negotiating with Audi UK ?

Audi US still refusing to pony up, guess im getting rid of this car, cant believe such an expensive new car that is supposed to be of "premium quality" is already having to do a full engine rebuild, Just rediculous.

Audi US still refusing to pony up, guess im getting rid of this car, cant believe such an expensive new car that is supposed to be of "premium quality" is already having to do a full engine rebuild, Just rediculous.

Despite getting it fixed, not long afterwards I replaced mine with a Merc. They were none of the wiser and gave me what I wanted as a part ex.

Despite getting it fixed, not long afterwards I replaced mine with a Merc. They were none of the wiser and gave me what I wanted as a part ex.

Im surprised, i guess all i can say is they dont build them like they used to. I had a 91' 300E and that thing lasted 20 yrs before anything went wrong with a gasket or piston. Smh i love my audi tho thats the worst part i dont want to get rid of it.