2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Jon

Firsty be sure you have a car that has the potential to be fantastic. You just need to get it there.

The evidence seems to be that since the BBC Watchdog programme, Audi have asked for far fewer people to pay for work to be done.

In fact, be aware, it is the dealer that is the initial decider in this. They go on the history of their knowledge of the situation, and this seems to differ from one dealer to another. The dealer has to make a claim to Audi UK for part of the cost of the repair, excluding any profit margin that they would make on that type of work.

Read the post recently which details the letter sent to all dealers on how to handle this problem. Audi UK's directive is that they must not be seen to profit from this problem, while keeping their customers happy. Not all dealers appear to have read this directive.

There are many posts recently where the dealer has suggested that a contribution may need to be made to the cost of the fix, then when the customer contacts Audi UK about it, miraculously, the charge gets dropped. I always live by the adage - if cars that have full Audi service history require fixing after warranty, why would you exclude those that do not have an Audi service history - if "perfect servicing" can lead to the problem, why would it be excluded on the basis of "imperfect service history".

Go with the flow and only worry about it if the dealer starts to suggest payment. If they do, contact Audi UK and ask them to get involved - believe me, they do have a strong influence on the actions of the dealer. My dealer was quite direct - if the car fails the test, the car gets fixed. Ironically, they then asked me for my service history details to "determine if they could pay for it" - this was after they had done the fix and handed the car back to me, so any chance to get me to pay had passed.

Once fixed, most cars are as good as a new one - with an engine that has not only been rebuilt, but rebuilt by hand rather than machine. Mine was fixed in September, and I have not had to add a drop of oil since.

Good luck in sorting your car

Thanks very much for that, I should hear in the next day or two and am hopeful that I it will get sorted without me getting out of pocket. I'm hoping that also with the low mileage it will also encourage them to pay for the repairs. I will let you know what they say.

Thanks.

Jon.

My 2.0 TFSI has been booked in for the consumption test at Lincoln Audi on 31st as instructed by Audi Customer Services. (No charge).
As mentioned previously its 5years old with 40,000 miles. Impeccable service history.
I realize that the oil drain plug, oil filler cap and oil filter bowl are all sealed. Does anyone know if the dipstick is sealed? I would like to monitor its usage so as not to get stranded in the Lincolnshire wilderness with the oil light on. If that did happen, I wonder if Audi would come out.

None of it is really sealed. They stick masking tape over the oil filler and a blob of white paint on the drain plug. I suppose they could tell if you purposely drained some oil out as the paint would've cracked. I could easily peel back the tape and add more oil if I wanted but I was praying for a fail so why would you.

The dipstick on my A3 was untouched so I could read the oil level. Most in A4 A5s dont have dipsticks and just read off the MMI.

If you do get stranded and need to add oil (Audi won't come out ) video the evidence on your phone with the time and date and mileage with the oil light lit as proof. Add a measured quantity of oil and then ring Audi at the first opportunity you have to tell them and email the video.

Should be enough evidence for any dealer to prove its a fail providing drain plug and filter housing have not been tampered with.

None of it is really sealed. They stick masking tape over the oil filler and a blob of white paint on the drain plug. I suppose they could tell if you purposely drained some oil out as the paint would've cracked. I could easily peel back the tape and add more oil if I wanted but I was praying for a fail so why would you.

The dipstick on my A3 was untouched so I could read the oil level. Most in A4 A5s dont have dipsticks and just read off the MMI.
Thanks for that, I just needed to know what was happening whilst the test was taking place so I did not get stuck miles away from the dealer when the light comes on.
Also good idea to video the evidence if it happens.

I personally wouldn't tamper with anything Audi use to seal prior to conducting the consumption test. I didn't even open the bonnet. Personally I knew mine would fail and they will all do at some point!!

update on my 2.0 tfsi;

bought the car from 2nd hand car dealer, 48k on clock and part audi service history.
went in for oil consumption test - failed
as soon as it failed it went straight in for a engine rebuild but with a £500 labour bill which the garage paid for
car had been away for a week with audi for rebuild.
I've done 1.2k miles now and the oil hasnt moved :)

also i got 1 major service and a 3 year service plan for free :)

I think I need to ring Audi UK. I did not get any free servicing. I can't work out whether that is something the dealer is giving or if it is coming from Audi UK

I think I need to ring Audi UK. I did not get any free servicing. I can't work out whether that is something the dealer is giving or if it is coming from Audi UK
I tried to get the free servicing and they just plain lied and said they have never offered or given free servicing!

Well I can quote a number of people on here who say they have been offered it

update on my 2.0 tfsi;

bought the car from 2nd hand car dealer, 48k on clock and part audi service history.
went in for oil consumption test - failed
as soon as it failed it went straight in for a engine rebuild but with a £500 labour bill which the garage paid for
car had been away for a week with audi for rebuild.
I've done 1.2k miles now and the oil hasnt moved :)

also i got 1 major service and a 3 year service plan for free :)
See I wasn't lying. I'm not the only person to recieve 'free' servicings....

Maybe this thread helped in mine plus the fact I spoke to both members of Audi Sport Net and Audi UK unofficially! Anyway my cars not used any oil since. Also I'm waiting for the MMI to still tell me when my next service is due. That's will also be free...

I have taken my 2010 TTS into Lincoln Audi today as arranged. Gave me a new TT for the day.
The service advisor has told me that it has to use more than 1ltr of oil in 620 mile. I thought it was 0.5 ltr to 620 mile, what have you all been told, please?

As we were! I have spoken to Audi Customer Services and the amount is still 0.5ltr. I asked if they had doubled it to try and limit the amount of claims, apparently not.
I would be very concerned about driving the car with a 1ltr of oil missing, it only has just over 4 when full. Customer Services have phoned Audi Lincoln and educated them as required.

All the questions asked recently are repeating over and over. Please read this thread from the start!
Yes it may take half an hour to scan through but seriously it could save you ultimately thousands of pounds. I'm only hanging onto mine because of how it drives now and the free servicings/warranty!! The extra years of keeping this will hopefully mean I may purchase one more petrol Audi/Mercedes or I bite the bullet and buy a Nissan GT-R?

If your car uses at least a litre of oil and not leaking in under a 1000 miles it's a failure as all these car do!!
Audi stipulate usage upto 0.5 litres per 621 miles! Mine used double that and I had to do complete it on the motorway. Half that again around town. Vorsprung Durk Teck Failure...

Last edited:
Reactions: Garfybeds
I did contemplate a second hand GT-R as well but residuals are still pretty solid on them!

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Yes these cars are as rare as rocking horse poop and are costly but seriously who wouldn't want to own one of these Black Edition beasts! It has to be I think...

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I did contemplate a second hand GT-R as well but residuals are still pretty solid on them!
Their actually appreciating unfortunately mate. Have you driven one? There's no turning back when you do!! I don't think there's any road car that would be able to keep up. It's like a go cart from the future :flushed: Absolutely Fantastic!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Never driven one unfortunately. I couldn't find any ones below £40k ish that weren't Cat D.

Yeah I do hear that they are amazing. Interior is dreadful in them though.

I bought my car car just less than week ago, I bought it in London, drove to Lincolnshire - King's Lynn (back home) next day I done some shopping driving new car. When I left London was showing Maximum oil level, today (just 4 later) and drove about 200 miles is showing 3 quarters on a screen measure, that's mean for 200 miles engine takes about 0,25 litre oil (measure on the screen is showing 1 litre of oil). I'm terrified. Millage 67k. 2.0TFSI 2008. Audi A4. I need help

I should change oil now, and keep eye how much will take for 620miles straight away after service... Guys please give me any other ideas :(

@Daro88 I'm afraid to say that it's ALL 2.0tfsi engines that were built between 2008-2013 that suffer from the oil issue. It's due to a badly designed engine.

I would get you car booked into your local Audi dealership ASAP. They will get you to do a 600 mile test and if it fails that you will need rectification work.

Don't worry though, as is detailed on this fantastic thread, Audi will cover the costs.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
I bought my car car just less than week ago, I bought it in London, drove to Lincolnshire - King's Lynn (back home) next day I done some shopping driving new car. When I left London was showing Maximum oil level, today (just 4 later) and drove about 200 miles is showing 3 quarters on a screen measure, that's mean for 200 miles engine takes about 0,25 litre oil (measure on the screen is showing 1 litre of oil). I'm terrified. Millage 67k. 2.0TFSI 2008. Audi A4. I need help
don't panic if the light comes on, it's just a note that you need to top up, it's not going to sieze the engine and explode w/in 3 miles or something.

I get your answer and I appreciate it, really thank you. Just tell me please how I have to book a test, I mean - I have to go to local Audi dealership or just call them? Do you think I should change oil to one more check? Because that 0.25 l of oil which gone for just 150-170 miles is a good reason to go there straight away.

don't panic if the light comes on, it's just a note that you need to top up, it's not going to sieze the engine and explode w/in 3 miles or something.
I don't panic, ofcourse I just worry about it, I spent lots of money for "good" car, I think this oil consumption is to high, 2.0 TFSI takes 0.25 l just after 150-maximum 200 miles but my old 1.8T was taking the same amount in half year (4000-5000 miles)

Mine was burning oil at a rate of 1 litre/250 miles. Took it to cheshire oaks audi 6 months ago. After the service agent telling me that i must perchase a long life service for the work to be carried out at a cost of £400, i then had to phone audi uk again who told me this was not the case. The car failed the oil consumption test and audi uk paid for the work to be carried out (no free servicing or anything). Was told it would be likely to "still use some oil".
The car began to need 1 litre/1200 miles then 1 litre/1000 miles then 1 litre/600 miles.
6 months later i phoned audi uk and they said to take it to any audi centre, after the trouble last time at cheshire oaks i chose liverpool audi. Who then refused at first to carry out an inspection unless i paid. After threatening to call audi uk whilst i was there they decided they would have a look at the car.
Audi liverpool informed me the work carried out in cheshire oaks audi was not upto standard and there was a problem caused to the sump and the top of the engine. Also that oil was "gushing" out and it would be inadvisable of me to drive the car. I was told to contact cheshire oaks again as it was there fault.
Cheshire oaks audi informed me that they had no proof the problem was theres and would not do anything.
After many many many phone calls between the two dealerships over two days (having to miss work as neither dealership would supply me with a courtesy car) and constantly having to chase the issue. Cheshire oaks audi have finally pick up the car and are inspecting it themselves as we speak. . .

I shall keep you posted.

Hi Folks,
My Audi A4 2.0 TFSI SE 211PS was eating oil at an alarming rate 2 years ago. I had to make sure I had a fresh oil can on long journeys. Enough was enough. I was starting to actually "hate" my lovely Audi (i hate to say !!!). After reading various comments about this problem on V.A.G forums and Googling, I contacted Audi UK Customer service and was assigned a 'Case Manager' and advised to contact my local Audi Service Centre (Highland Audi, Inverness, Scotland).
After my initial contact with the centre, I was quoted £375 + VAT for the first part of the Oil Consumption test (OCT) and some fairly horrific costs of engine repair (ranging from £2K to £5K !!!). This seemed to me to be a bit 'cheeky' of them, considering it's not my fault and I am also reading of law suits brought against Audi in the states that Audi settled - but not in Europe. I ummed and ahhed and delayed taking my Audi in for the OCT and after a while I was contacted by Audi UK and was advised that the charges would be 'waived' -nice of them ! So, my car went in and and a 'measured' quantity of oil was put into the car, the oil filler cap was taped over, and I had to 'test' drive 621 miles. My car failed the OCT (Part 2) = no surprises there, and I was contacted by Audi UK again. After the initial expensive quotes of engine repair i was now being advised that Audi would cover 90% of the cost of engine repair. This figure was acceptable as the outstanding 10% was seen by me as a 'wear and tear' factor - fair enough I told myself. In the end, the car went in for new piston rings and Audi met the repair costs 100%. This was cynically called "goodwill", but my regular service history stood me in good stead. Since the work was done last year, I have had no problems with excessive oil consumption and I love my Audi A4 (again !).

Mine was burning oil at a rate of 1 litre/250 miles. Took it to cheshire oaks audi 6 months ago. After the service agent telling me that i must perchase a long life service for the work to be carried out at a cost of £400, i then had to phone audi uk again who told me this was not the case. The car failed the oil consumption test and audi uk paid for the work to be carried out (no free servicing or anything). Was told it would be likely to "still use some oil".
The car began to need 1 litre/1200 miles then 1 litre/1000 miles then 1 litre/600 miles.
6 months later i phoned audi uk and they said to take it to any audi centre, after the trouble last time at cheshire oaks i chose liverpool audi. Who then refused at first to carry out an inspection unless i paid. After threatening to call audi uk whilst i was there they decided they would have a look at the car.
Audi liverpool informed me the work carried out in cheshire oaks audi was not upto standard and there was a problem caused to the sump and the top of the engine. Also that oil was "gushing" out and it would be inadvisable of me to drive the car. I was told to contact cheshire oaks again as it was there fault.
Cheshire oaks audi informed me that they had no proof the problem was theres and would not do anything.
After many many many phone calls between the two dealerships over two days (having to miss work as neither dealership would supply me with a courtesy car) and constantly having to chase the issue. Cheshire oaks audi have finally pick up the car and are inspecting it themselves as we speak. . .

I shall keep you posted.
That is indeed worrying,am I to understand your car has the piston issue fixed six months ago and has started to burn oil again?
I think I may find myself in a similar situation my car had the fix in October last year,I've done approximately 1100 miles since then and I've used 3 quarters of a litre according to the mmi,oddly it registered max for 950 miles or so and has suddenly dropped like a stone...I got my car back yesterday after Audi have it for 3 weeks repairing the mechatronic box,
I now have the worry of wondering if the oil issues are back.
I plan on doing a top up when I get home and resetting the computer and watching what happens,any problems and I'm going straight back to Audi to see about there 2 year warranty on repairs...

No need for any owners to worry about this engine defect! These cars are superb when fixed properly!! It's getting them fixed that can be the headache with the rigmarole of oil consumption tests. However it's getting easier and easier now to get 'free' results. It's been 9 months since my last free service and the MMI oil level is still at max..

Bought mine with 60K on the clock from a major franchise dealership, problem presented itself within the first few days of ownership, bit of web research lead me to the oil burning issue, almost gave it back to dealership for full refund until I was encouraged to chase Audi and get it fixed.

It was using approx 1ltr per 232 miles before it went in for 1st round of testing. They kept the car for 2 days and then sent me off telling me to drive it until the warning light presents itself etc etc. To my shock their fiddling with it had increased my consumption to 1ltr per 485 miles .............. however still a fail :smile new:.

4 weeks later and its just gone in for the rebuild this week, thanks to the information in this thread, I asked for my cam chain tensioners to be checked during the rebuild works, the service manager says he doesn't know what they are but will make a note of it for the mechanics doing the job, says I will have the entire process explained to me at the job completion with paperwork etc. I also had to sign off on allowing them to road test my car for a stack of miles to make sure they have completed the job properly, no leaks and so on. The guy reckons it might be done within a few days.

I asked if it was possible for a small problem to be looked at whilst they had it and he couldn't hit me fast enough with "that will cost you £60 for 1/2 hour inspection and then I will call you to discuss the cost to put it right". And there's me thinking I may have got a little extra thrown in for good measure :racer:

Bought mine with 60K on the clock from a major franchise dealership, problem presented itself within the first few days of ownership, bit of web research lead me to the oil burning issue, almost gave it back to dealership for full refund until I was encouraged to chase Audi and get it fixed.

It was using approx 1ltr per 232 miles before it went in for 1st round of testing. They kept the car for 2 days and then sent me off telling me to drive it until the warning light presents itself etc etc. To my shock their fiddling with it had increased my consumption to 1ltr per 485 miles .............. however still a fail :smile new:.

4 weeks later and its just gone in for the rebuild this week, thanks to the information in this thread, I asked for my cam chain tensioners to be checked during the rebuild works, the service manager says he doesn't know what they are but will make a note of it for the mechanics doing the job, says I will have the entire process explained to me at the job completion with paperwork etc. I also had to sign off on allowing them to road test my car for a stack of miles to make sure they have completed the job properly, no leaks and so on. The guy reckons it might be done within a few days.

I asked if it was possible for a small problem to be looked at whilst they had it and he couldn't hit me fast enough with "that will cost you £60 for 1/2 hour inspection and then I will call you to discuss the cost to put it right". And there's me thinking I may have got a little extra thrown in for good measure :racer:
Welcome to the thread mate.
Once fixed these cars are great. If you pay for any extra work then push the dealer and Audi UK for the next service to be complimentary. I did and had a 2 service plan foc..

Thanks Mike, I do like the car and that's why I decided to get stuck in to having it fixed. I had a 59 avant same spec but S Tronic for a total of 24 hrs before this one and the gearbox failed, then I bought this saloon instead which then presented me with its engine design flaw.... This stuff has really made me question the Audi brand. I've had plenty of Audi's over the years but went to a different brand for past couple of years, return to Audi's and they seem to have become unreliable money pitts which is not what I expected from Audi.

Tbh I questioned my faith to the Audi brand when I went through the repair process early last year. I have owned numerous Audis and at that time/prior to watchdogs programme it was far harder to achieve 'free' results. However I would certainly stick with it but ensure the cam chain tensioner and adjuster are replaced with the new modified parts! I'm sure they are now part of the piston repair kit and I think any decent service manager would know that! Last thing you or they want is the cam chain jumping a tooth and a new engine being required all for the sake of around £30 of extra parts.
There are members on here that have had the piston repair only to have the tensioner fail..

Yes I know, I've read about it here, I hope to find out once its collection time !
I started out with the process @ the start of the year and they wanted to charge me also, Audi UK sorted that glitch out, thankfully, Ill update this once I've got news.

I really do hope it all goes well or its goodbye Audi for me and all my friends / family / co-workers and there friends & families, I'm amazed at how many people around me are showing an active interest in how it plays out. I'm sure there are many others around the country who have been / are also in the same position. How much damage has this done to the Audi brand, Audit anyone ? LoL

Quick update. Car went back in today after driving the 621 miles, surprise surprise it's failed. They have submitted the paperwork to Audi uk so just waiting an answer, should be fine though as I have a full Audi service history at the same centre.

Could only speak to then briefly as I was at work but should I push for the cam chain tensioner and adjuster to be changed or is it part of the rebuild kit now? Also I presume I am entitled to a courtesy car? Is there anything else I should be saying to them?

No the cam belt tensioner is not part of the rebuild. Definitely get this done at the same time as this is also a manufacturing defect on all 2.0tfsi's!