2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Since BBC's Watchdog programme on the subject the oil consumption tests have all been free. However for those that have paid prior to the broadcast will be entitled to a full refund. Just give Audi UK a call..

Can't understand why Huntingdon Audi took so long? I purchased my car from an independent so last service was non audi. Car failed both oil consumption tests and Audi Huntingdon paid in full for the fix. Car also had a stage one Revo remap and 98k on the clock! Surprisingly audi left remap on after work completed. Now on 108k, one blip with blocked oil breather. Uses no oil and pulls like a train.

Out of interest did you pay for the oil consumption tests?

No, they mentioned £60 when I first rang up to book the car in but was never asked to pay anything. To be fair to Huntingdon audi I'd been more than happy with their service, they took the car in the day after each call for the consumption tests and valeted it when it failed the 2nd test.

Problem with the service wasn't that it was from an independent it was that I couldn't provide evidence of the oil type used. It wasn't included in the history when I brought the car.

Looking forward to driving it after the fix as it's had the fault from the day I got it.

Once repaired the 211 bhp TFSI's are fantastic. Still no oil usage on mine. It may not warrant me buying a Nissan GTR yet but hey. This Audi is now becoming one of my happier cars. Plenty fast. Not even an S4 would get distance..

These problems should be ironed out slowly. All TFSIs including the newer engines are suffering though.. Watch this space...

well mine after the fix still churns through a litre every 2500 miles on average. Better than the 1100 miles per litre I was getting but still not brilliant. Tail pipes still black.

Not happy, but what more can I do. Can runs well and no other issues.

well mine after the fix still churns through a litre every 2500 miles on average. Better than the 1100 miles per litre I was getting but still not brilliant. Tail pipes still black.

Not happy, but what more can I do. Can runs well and no other issues.

How many miles has the car done Igooch?

Hi everyone. Not sure how I stand on this.
I have a 10 plate 2.0 tfsi using oil beyond the limits. It has full service history although the last 2 been indie but using genuine parts.
However car is a cat d write off due to light front corner damage 2 years ago. Obviously the bump would not affect the engine but dont know what my chances are of getting this fixed under warranty.
Anyone with any experience or views on this? Thanks in advance

is your name really Derek Trotter ? I thought you drove a yellow 3 wheeled van. No offence btw.

yours is a tough call. one which i would not like to make. only way to tell is to drop it into Audi and get the test done and then haggle like hell.

How would they know the insurance status of the car? It should make absolutely no difference. I am sure they would happily service it for you so why shouldn't they fix the dodgy engine they supplied with a premium car?

Ive had it in for consumption test just waiting for light to come on. My proof of service history is a bit crap though as its an ex police car and they dont supply invoices or stamp books. They have emailed the service history but have also noted on the emails that their force insurer disposed of it due to being uneconomical repair :-/
I reported the oil burning to Audi uk 18 mths ago but only just had chance to book it in. Back then audi were only contributing so didn't really fancy chipping in a couple of grand as I could do the job myself for probably just over a grand.
Fingers crossed they pay for repairs

Got my car back a couple of days before Christmas from Huntingdon Audi. 1000 mile round trip to visit family in Scotland and MMI oil level hasn't moved. As everyone else has mentioned the car is a pleasure to drive, nice to have my A4 quattro back after driving the A3 auto diesel courtesy car.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
1st post for 4 weeks, my cars due its first mot since the rebuild early Feb. The oil is still at max but I'm more interested in the emissions test! Do I take it to Audi for the mot or an Indi? The mot protection offered at the dealers is appealing especially with a good dealer relationship with my free servicing package. Hmm choices.. Main thing is that the car still runs like a brand new motor :smiley:

Unfortunately I appear to have one of the affected 2.0TFSI engines in a 2009 Audi A5 convertible.

I contacted my local Audi dealer ( Robinsons of Norwich ) to report my cars problem and they offered me a oil consumption test, cost covered by themselves, after I had mentioned watching the BBC Watchdog feature.

My car did fail the test, and at the moment my car is using 0.5 litres of oil to around 300 miles, and this is getting worse at an alarming rate to me.

When Norwich Audi proceeded to check through the service history they found that I had kept the car serviced correctly throughout my ownership however on one of the services during the ownership or the previous registered owner, a garage had not ticked an oil change. The garage had instead ticked ' hadlex' oil. Norwich Audi then quickly became defensive of the engine claiming it had not been serviced correctly, but when I asked what ' Hadlex oil ' was, the representative told me it was the 4 wheel drive system. He then looked rather embarrassed when I informed him my car did not have 4 wheel drive, so it was impossible to carry out a Hadlex oil change and therefor I see it as human error in a wrong box being ticked by the garage carrying out the oil change. The previous customer had also gone a handful of months over a service interval, but not exceeded the interval mileage.

Despite Audi admitting that cars with my engine, of my year build, have been affected by faulty piston rings which are causing excessive oil consumption they now seem to be doing everything in their way to avoid rectifying their poor engine build. I'm left with a devalued car and a car with a problem which is only getting worse. I don't see how it's acceptable for a company to accept they made a manufacturing error this serious and then leave it down to the customer to pay out?

A friend of mine also had the same issue last summer, and Norwich Audi rebuilt his engine to a cost of £5,500 covered by Audi. His car had done more than double my mileage ( mine is at 57k miles ) and all they asked him to do was pay for a main dealer service beforehand. There seems to be no continuity or loyalty towards their customer base?

I feel I'm at a lost end and Norwich Audi are not interested any more. Im finding these posts on here very interesting and looking to see if anyone of you successfully won against Audi with a not perfect service history?

Unfortunately I appear to have one of the affected 2.0TFSI engines in a 2009 Audi A5 convertible.

I contacted my local Audi dealer ( Robinsons of Norwich ) to report my cars problem and they offered me a oil consumption test, cost covered by themselves, after I had mentioned watching the BBC Watchdog feature.

My car did fail the test, and at the moment my car is using 0.5 litres of oil to around 300 miles, and this is getting worse at an alarming rate to me.

When Norwich Audi proceeded to check through the service history they found that I had kept the car serviced correctly throughout my ownership however on one of the services during the ownership or the previous registered owner, a garage had not ticked an oil change. The garage had instead ticked ' hadlex' oil. Norwich Audi then quickly became defensive of the engine claiming it had not been serviced correctly, but when I asked what ' Hadlex oil ' was, the representative told me it was the 4 wheel drive system. He then looked rather embarrassed when I informed him my car did not have 4 wheel drive, so it was impossible to carry out a Hadlex oil change and therefor I see it as human error in a wrong box being ticked by the garage carrying out the oil change. The previous customer had also gone a handful of months over a service interval, but not exceeded the interval mileage.

Despite Audi admitting that cars with my engine, of my year build, have been affected by faulty piston rings which are causing excessive oil consumption they now seem to be doing everything in their way to avoid rectifying their poor engine build. I'm left with a devalued car and a car with a problem which is only getting worse. I don't see how it's acceptable for a company to accept they made a manufacturing error this serious and then leave it down to the customer to pay out?

A friend of mine also had the same issue last summer, and Norwich Audi rebuilt his engine to a cost of £5,500 covered by Audi. His car had done more than double my mileage ( mine is at 57k miles ) and all they asked him to do was pay for a main dealer service beforehand. There seems to be no continuity or loyalty towards their customer base?

I feel I'm at a lost end and Norwich Audi are not interested any more. Im finding these posts on here very interesting and looking to see if anyone of you successfully won against Audi with a not perfect service history?

I found Its a case of persistence with Audi!

If you haven't already I would give Audi UK a call with your aggrievance and take it from there.

There have been owners that have had incomplete service history and still have had the repair completed for free!

I'm sure you will get the rebuild done for nothing shortly..

Additionally you might want to point out that the fault occurs in vehicles with full Audi service history so what difference does it make? As advised, go straight to Audi UK.

Guy's, I'm bricking it reading these post's!
I have a £200 deposit down on an 2011(June) 2.0t Fsi Quattro Dynamik S Tronic to pick up from an independent dealer this coming Saturday 23rd..!!!

Been into local Audi dealer to look at history in the hope it might show this oil issue fix but no such look... evidence on their system shows this:-
Car Registered June 2011
10/1/2012 - Oil Change Service - 8538 miles (Audi)
07/1/2013 - Inspection / Oil Change - 15,890 miles (Audi)
03/05/14 - Traded back into Dealer Network (23,320)
03/05/14 - MOT Carried Out
03/05/15 - MOT Expired... It then seems to have been seized by VAG Financial Services for lack of payment or whatever (they are on V5)
01/12/15 - Car bought from Audi auction by independent dealer
10/12/15 - MOT Carried out - Expires 12/16
19/1/2016 - Car currently has 33k

Basically I have 2x Audi dealer stamps but it's missed a 2015 service, how would this be perceived in getting any problems fixed by Audi relating to the Oil consumption? I was going to send it straight to my local Audi dealer for a service at 33k when I buy it to bring it back into their control anyway?

How would Audi UK treat this case do you think if it does have the oil issue ...?The local Audi dealership said it might be ok with the 2x stamps and a 3rd as soon as I own it... but with it being 4 1/2 years old i'm not so sure about the "good will" etc!!!

Any advice would be appreciated... currently thinking of jacking in on the deal altogether which is a shame because I thought the car was great on the test drive.

Hi
Newbie warning.
I'm looking at buying a 2.0 TFSI Quattro 2012 with 28000 miles and full Audi service history from an Audi dealer, question is are all engines failing or is it pot luck, and should I buy this car or walk away. I have spoken to the dealer and he says that nothing has been flagged up on the cars history.
Help

Miike

Hi
Newbie warning.
I'm looking at buying a 2.0 TFSI Quattro 2012 with 28000 miles and full Audi service history from an Audi dealer, question is are all engines failing or is it pot luck, and should I buy this car or walk away. I have spoken to the dealer and he says that nothing has been flagged up on the cars history.
Help

Miike
Don't think 2012 cars have this issue.

Thanks your replies guess I go and have a good look at it and sort out a deal.

Mike

Guy's, I'm bricking it reading these post's!
I have a £200 deposit down on an 2011(June) 2.0t Fsi Quattro Dynamik S Tronic to pick up from an independent dealer this coming Saturday 23rd..!!!

Been into local Audi dealer to look at history in the hope it might show this oil issue fix but no such look... evidence on their system shows this:-
Car Registered June 2011
10/1/2012 - Oil Change Service - 8538 miles (Audi)
07/1/2013 - Inspection / Oil Change - 15,890 miles (Audi)
03/05/14 - Traded back into Dealer Network (23,320)
03/05/14 - MOT Carried Out
03/05/15 - MOT Expired... It then seems to have been seized by VAG Financial Services for lack of payment or whatever (they are on V5)
01/12/15 - Car bought from Audi auction by independent dealer
10/12/15 - MOT Carried out - Expires 12/16
19/1/2016 - Car currently has 33k

Basically I have 2x Audi dealer stamps but it's missed a 2015 service, how would this be perceived in getting any problems fixed by Audi relating to the Oil consumption? I was going to send it straight to my local Audi dealer for a service at 33k when I buy it to bring it back into their control anyway?

How would Audi UK treat this case do you think if it does have the oil issue ...?The local Audi dealership said it might be ok with the 2x stamps and a 3rd as soon as I own it... but with it being 4 1/2 years old i'm not so sure about the "good will" etc!!!

Any advice would be appreciated... currently thinking of jacking in on the deal altogether which is a shame because I thought the car was great on the test drive.
run a mile. save up a bit more and get a 2012 car. its worth losing 200 quid to save the aggravation in my opinion

Sadly it is probably worth looking elsewhere. It is unlikely that Audi UK will give you any certainty about whether it will be covered.

From the point of view of 2011 v 2012 cars be careful as many 2011 cars will have been sold in 2012. I don't think the engine or chassis range has ever been made public from when the piston rings were altered.

Today I spoke again with customer services and they said that this problem can affect any petrol engine up to at least 2014. I then visited my local Audi dealer and spoke with the head of servicing regarding this problem and he agreed and said that they are now getting cars outside the original remit,he then said that they were in the middle of sorting out a 2014 car with this problem and not all of the cases put forward to Audi had the full amount paid !! I asked him what percentage of engines were affected and he said he didn't know but they always seem to have one or two cars in for major engine work at any one time. The dealers and customer services don't hide the problem but if the wider public knew how bad it was and the press got more involved I think Audi might have a different attitude to dealing with it. I've emailed the dealer that I was buying my car from and explained why I've cancelled my interest. So be warned NO petrol engine Audi is immune right up to 2014 and possibly later.
Mike

I had the same issue when I bought my 60 plate last September. I was going through 0.5ltr about every 167 miles!
Thanks to Epsom Audi who took the car away for a month to carry out the repairs at no cost to me.

Since getting it back in November and doing over 3000 miles to date, I've on it had to top up with about 0.25ltr :yes: happy days!

Hi,

I had my rebuild completed just before Christmas, got it back 23rd. The service history in the book was complete but I didn't have the invoice for the last service. Audi Huntingdon were making noises towards me having to pay as I couldn't prove what oil was used. Car was on 65K last service was 60K. I spoke to Audi UK, think the lady I spoke to was Viv, very helpful. I'd tried to get a copy of the invoice, it was from an independant, but they had no record of any history of work done on my car? Service history up until then was ok, but before I purchased the car. Anyway they came back to me and did all the work at no cost to me. As others have said, give Audi a call and raise a case. If the only fault the dealer have found is that they've ticked the wrong box I would have thought common sense will hopefully prevail.

Adam.

Does anyone know if when doing the rebuild they would disconnect the engine coolant hose from the rad? Got the warning to turn off engine and check coolant level. Virtually empty, after topping up and turning the engine on turned out was pouring out the hose into the radiator. Couldn't see anything wrong with the connector and sealed ok after putting it back on and has been fine since, done a couple of long trips down the motorway and not leaking any more.

I picked up the car 3 weeks before, I've done 1000 miles since picking it up but seems a bit coincidental?

Hi,
I have a 2011 a5 1.8tfsi using 1l every 600mile, it's has 45k miles on clock, but only have 3service stamps and only 1st one from Audi, would I have any chance of get work done free

Ok guys its been a nearly a year since I started this thread and I'm overwhelmed with the response it has had!
Not only has it been the biggest internet thread on this subject but it has certainly helped many many owners with their case with Audi! I have publicly broadcast my own with great results.. Coincidence? maybe, but nevertheless as I have stated from the start these engines are all defective.
What I can say is that when fixed they are very very good!
I'm somewhat disappointed with the recent valuations on these cars with Internet websites. They have nose dived a lot since the watchdog report but fixed cars are now showing a vast increase! Even the dealers are unaware of what to do.. (Apart from fleece as always).
I have mentioned so many times in this thread that it's not only the B8 model that's suffered (2008-2011) but it's happening with every petrol model year upto at least the 2014 B8.5 and maybe beyond. Just glance at some of these cars exhausts. Yes I do know it doesn't always mean their using oil but when the chrome tips are oily black and it's a 64 plate you may wonder especially when you hear it first hand and other members on here are reporting the same.
My advice again to those reading and considering purchasing is to firstly check it's been fixed and/or any history about the problem. If not then check almost certainly ensure it has a reasonable service history. I would certainly buy one again now if it had a reasonable history! If not then it's certainly harder to get 'free' results but not an uncertainty. It's a case of being adamant it's Audis fault and following it up with the relevant knowledge!
Once fixed these engines are almost certainly the best TFSI engines Audi have made. Purely as they have been repaired by hand and not using incorrect 'toleranced' robotic machined fitted parts..
Just to recap again, once fixed if they are anything like mine they are fantastic. What with a 2 yr parts warranty and 4 yrs free servicing you would be a fool to sell..

Last edited:
Ok guys its been a nearly a year since I started this thread and I'm overwhelmed with the response it has had!
Not only has it been the biggest internet thread on this subject but it has certainly helped many many owners with their case with Audi! I have publicly broadcast my own with great results.. Coincidence? maybe, but nevertheless as I have stated from the start these engines are all defective.
What I can say is that when fixed they are very very good!
I'm somewhat disappointed with the recent valuations on these cars with Internet websites. They have nose dived a lot since the watchdog report but fixed cars are now showing a vast increase! Even the dealers are unaware of what to do.. (Apart from fleece as always).
I have mentioned so many times in this thread that it's not only the B8 model that's suffered (2008-2011) but it's happening with every petrol model year upto at least the 2014 B8.5 and maybe beyond. Just glance at some of these cars exhausts. Yes I do know it doesn't always mean their using oil but when the chrome tips are oily black and it's a 64 plate you may wonder especially when you hear it first hand and other members on here are reporting the same.
My advice again to those reading and considering purchasing is to firstly check it's been fixed and/or any history about the problem. If not then check almost certainly ensure it has a reasonable service history. I would certainly buy one again now if it had a reasonable history! If not then it's certainly harder to get 'free' results but not an uncertainty. It's a case of being adamant it's Audis fault and following it up with the relevant knowledge!
Once fixed these engines are almost certainly the best TFSI engines Audi have made. Purely as they have been repaired by hand and not using incorrect 'toleranced' robotic machined fitted parts..
Just to recap again, once fixed if they are anything like mine they are fantastic. What with a 2 yr parts warranty and 4 yrs free servicing you would be a fool to sell..
Totally agree! Mine was fixed at 98k and looking forward to a good few more years! Engine is even better with a stage 1 remap!

Well I got mine all done :) and nice new A4 for a week. Cant fault the customer service

So I've just got my car back this week from Norwich audi after they agreed albeit Audi uk agreed to carry out the piston and conrod replacement with a 20% cost by myself (£800). They also carried out a major service within what I paid and also replaced a faulty water pump. Overall I'm pleased as my service history did have gaps.

My big question now though is.... how to run it in.... they delivered the car to me and so far it's done about 160 miles including a 30 mile test run by themy plus delivery mileage. I have driven it fairly steady changing gears when indicated by the dash gear shift indicator. Customer service advised avoiding hard throttle or taking it too close to the red line for the first 1000 to 2000 miles but there seems to be lots of conflicting theories online, some say nice and gently, others say open it up to help the piston rings bed in well....

Now I've had the work done I really want to finish it off in the correct way.... how have you guyseen driven them since getting the cars back?

What with a 2 yr parts warranty and 4 yrs free servicing you would be a fool to sell..

i have had no word at all about getting free servicing, is that supposed to be a universal thing or just dealer discretion?

So I've just got my car back this week from Norwich audi after they agreed albeit Audi uk agreed to carry out the piston and conrod replacement with a 20% cost by myself (£800). They also carried out a major service within what I paid and also replaced a faulty water pump. Overall I'm pleased as my service history did have gaps.

My big question now though is.... how to run it in.... they delivered the car to me and so far it's done about 160 miles including a 30 mile test run by themy plus delivery mileage. I have driven it fairly steady changing gears when indicated by the dash gear shift indicator. Customer service advised avoiding hard throttle or taking it too close to the red line for the first 1000 to 2000 miles but there seems to be lots of conflicting theories online, some say nice and gently, others say open it up to help the piston rings bed in well....

Now I've had the work done I really want to finish it off in the correct way.... how have you guyseen driven them since getting the cars back?

I had the same questions when I had mine done late last year. I spoke to the service department guy at the Audi garage and he said due to the quality of parts these days the car can be driven normally, just don’t go crazy with it on the red line and stuff :racer:

I’ve not had to put any oil since I got it back late October :yahoo:

Hi Guys been a while since ive been on , got the rebuild done , all seems good so far apart from mmi gage ,sometimes it reads full and the next three quarters , apart from that was wondering if anybody has received an invoice of the parts used , i have asked Highland Audi several time but they say that they dont have an actual document with the parts listed , i find this very strange ,
any comments welcome.

Hi Guys been a while since ive been on , got the rebuild done , all seems good so far apart from mmi gage ,sometimes it reads full and the next three quarters , apart from that was wondering if anybody has received an invoice of the parts used , i have asked Highland Audi several time but they say that they dont have an actual document with the parts listed , i find this very strange ,
any comments welcome.

Hello mate,

I chased them up as well as I wanted some proof especially if I had to sell the car on. Problem fixed and I was pretty happy with what they sent me. Please see snapshot below.

Reactions: DrSasso
I asked Manchester Audi and they don't give it out apparently, however if any potential buyers of the car want confirmation the work was carried out they can call Audi.

I think some guys have got an invoice but you really have to push them for it.

Aye thats the impression i got i phoned highland audi this morning , service told me they dont have an invoice with parts to which i replied you must have some kind of document with the parts used , she then said she will speak to the manager and will phone me back , surprise surprise no call , i cant see the problem giving me a list of the parts used , as i said to her the parts have a 2 year warranty so i would like to no what parts were replaced .

i have had no word at all about getting free servicing, is that supposed to be a universal thing or just dealer discretion?
Both mate. The rebuild incorporates pretty much a service so if a vehicle requires a service according to the MMI just a few months later then it should be free! I was told at my rebuild it wouldn't cover an oil inspection but after a little somewhat complaining I had the nod from Audi UK that I was entitled to a free service. It was the dealer who recommended and approved the 2 free servicings package.
My advice is to complain to Audi UK, they are the approvers and not the dealer..

To those now reading don't be put off. Buy a fixed TFSI.
They are superb once repaired properly! To those selling after the repair you are fools......

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, NL316 and ianv5