2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

He bought it privately, so that's not relevant. Basically it's like this:-

When you buy a used vehicle from a private individual, you don't have the same rights as you do when buying from a trader. The legal principle of caveat emptor, or 'buyer beware' operates. You do not have a legal right to expect that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, but there is a legal requirement that it should be 'as described'.

Reactions: scotty76
guy's an obvious ar$ehole as far as i'm concerned. apparently Audi offered to fully fix for free so what's his agenda? wanting £9k in his pocket it seems?

If they've offered to fix it free and he's STILL trying to take them to court he's either been monumentally badly advised or is too stupid to listen to advice.

Mine's back today with new pistons and rods and a full MMI oil gauge. Cam chain tensioner and sliders all checked for wear and A-OK too. Happy with the outcome and pleased with the dealership's approach overall, although my allocated 'service advisor' tried his best to screw that up...

I was concerned too, but at least you will have the 2 yr parts guarantee on the fix! Sure if anything else related occurs you could persuade Audi to fix it..
I'm sure I would if it happens! Bet they would throw darts at me at the moment tho... ;)

It won't be the components that have been replaced, it's the rest of the engine that will suffer. Spark plugs, sensors etc. I had the lot!

At the end of the day, my car has been fixed relatively free with a 2 yr guarantee on the parts replaced.
The car is now running fantastic, with no oil usage, plenty of power and still the feel good factor that was there when I bought it!
I have critised Audi massively in this post but at least we are now seeing decent results from them!
Remember most new car stealers offer only a 2 yr warrantee on their cars with the local dealer then offering a third (except the lower brands who offer more!)
So my advice to those suffering the problem is to definately get the car fixed asap and enjoy it as it should be with the extra 2 yr warrantee on the problem. Least if anything else goes wrong you have a bargaining chip with Audi UK. I'm sure my dealer will be cringing if I ring them again after how much I kicked off earlier this year!

Fingers crossed the car is sound now!
What did your service advisor do mate? I can't say too much of mine either!
If they've offered to fix it free and he's STILL trying to take them to court he's either been monumentally badly advised or is too stupid to listen to advice.

Mine's back today with new pistons and rods and a full MMI oil gauge. Cam chain tensioner and sliders all checked for wear and A-OK too. Happy with the outcome and pleased with the dealership's approach overall, although my allocated 'service advisor' tried his best to screw that up...

Fingers crossed the car is sound now!
What did your service advisor do mate? I can't say too much of mine either!

Basically a total lack of communications. He didn't seem to realise that I'd actually want my car back after the work was done :)

The 2 year guarantee only applies to those parts that Audi have replaced during the oil consumption fix.

I was in the process of buying an A5 2.0TFSI S-Line sportback (2010 with 55k on it, from an independent, not an Audi dealer) but have put everything on hold when I heard about this issue. Now having second thoughts as I don't want to be hit with a big rebuild bill if this turns out to be an oil guzzler (especially as I just got rid of an RX-8).

It's got a full history (all Audi stamps apart from the last one). I'd be taking it into Glasgow Audi, anyone got any experience with them when it comes to this? From what I've read here, it seems Audi is starting to address this problem on cars out of warranty but I'm feeling quite wary about buying it now

I was in the process of buying an A5 2.0TFSI S-Line sportback (2010 with 55k on it, from an independent, not an Audi dealer) but have put everything on hold when I heard about this issue. Now having second thoughts as I don't want to be hit with a big rebuild bill if this turns out to be an oil guzzler (especially as I just got rid of an RX-8).

It's got a full history (all Audi stamps apart from the last one). I'd be taking it into Glasgow Audi, anyone got any experience with them when it comes to this? From what I've read here, it seems Audi is starting to address this problem on cars out of warranty but I'm feeling quite wary about buying it now

I purchased my 2010 avant with 88k on the clock from an independent dealer, audi history up to purchasing car. Had car remapped by Revo. Audi paid in full for replacement pistons etc, 5500k cost approx, car had 98k on the clock when work was done. Vindis Audi, Cambs.

Must say I was very happy with the result!!

I understand your reluctance: My suggestion is to call Glasgow Audi service dept, and ask what they'll do if it drinks oil. Make sure you say it will be being serviced by them! They'll ask for registration and service history, but may be able to confirm that it would be fixed FOC. Try asking for this in writing :)

I think they should also be able to tell you if any remedial work has already been done on the car.

If you don't get a convincing answer, I'd probably walk away, or haggle very hard with the seller because of the problem. Like IanV5, mine's been fixed FOC on a 70K '09 plate car well outside any warranty. But others haven't been as lucky in the past.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Didn't get to speak with the Glasgow service department but was put through to the Audi UK history check people (I've got the free phone mobile number for them if anyone wants it). Other than a high pressure switch that was done under the original warranty, nothing else has been done outwith the standard servicing.

Think I'll pay the Glasgow Audi folk a visit tomorrow (I would prefer to discuss this with them in person anyway).

I'll let you know how I get on and if I take the car.

I have a A4 1.8 TFSI 2008 S-Line with 30k on the clock. I do about 2/3000 a year and have noticed my tailpipes rather black. Is there a way in noticing that mine has the problem as due to my low mileage i check the oil gauge on the screen but it will not drop dramatically than doing 8/9000. If so what's the best way to get this check by Audi calling the dealership or customer services?

I have a A4 1.8 TFSI 2008 S-Line with 30k on the clock. I do about 2/3000 a year and have noticed my tailpipes rather black.
That engine shouldn't have the problem. It's almost exclusive to 2.0TFSI from '09 to '11.

Just make a note of how much oil you put in, and the mileage. If you are putting in more than a litre every 1200 miles, call your dealer. and get an official test done. I wouldn't bother with that unless you're pretty sure the consumption is excessive.

Black tailpipes may be entirely unrelated. If you're only doing a few thousand miles a year on short journeys it's going to be running rich anyway.

I might be making this up but did I read somewhere in one of the forums that Audi UK have assigned someone from customer service to deal with this issue? if so, does anyone have his/her number and/or email address?

I might be making this up but did I read somewhere in one of the forums that Audi UK have assigned someone from customer service to deal with this issue? if so, does anyone have his/her number and/or email address?
I dealt with a guy called Charles... He was excellent... Phoned me today to say he would be forwarding a check for the initial fix I paid for

The 2 year guarantee only applies to those parts that Audi have replaced during the oil consumption fix.

Yeah and it'll be the other components that start going wrong because of the oil deposits. Then before you know it your spending a few hundred pounds here and a few hundred pounds there and of course Audi will deny outright that it had anything to do with the oil issue.

Try asking for this in writing :)

When I was negotiating my refund, I complained that none of my letters or e-nails were being responded to in writing. I basically told them that it was a convenient way to lose a record of a conversation by dealing with everything over the phone.

I was advised that all calls are recorded and Audi prefer to deal with their customers by phone. I wonder how easy it is to retrieve a recorded telephone conversation from Audi.

I was assigned a case manager called Kelly Hebblethwaite who was very professional. Don't get fobbed off with ringing and emailing Audi customer service only. They say you can't directly email them personally but you can.

i.e - It's their name split with a full stop @audi.co.uk

kelly.hebblethwaite@audi.co.uk

I ended up emailing Audi customer services, Kelly and the head of business at Cardiff Audi all in one email and that certainly worked!!!

The more correspondence the better...

It's just a shame they won't reimburse the cost of all the tests etc..

Just had a look back through my paperwork for the fix and this is my invoice...

Audi Warranty

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Didn't get to speak with the Glasgow service department but was put through to the Audi UK history check people (I've got the free phone mobile number for them if anyone wants it). Other than a high pressure switch that was done under the original warranty, nothing else has been done outwith the standard servicing.

Think I'll pay the Glasgow Audi folk a visit tomorrow (I would prefer to discuss this with them in person anyway).

I'll let you know how I get on and if I take the car.
Unless it's had the modified Pistons and rods, run a mile as it's just hassle you could do without. Save up buy a later 2012 model. Just my 2p

Reactions: Tfsi gone
The resale values have been hit by this problem but I wonder how much a premium there is now on Audi dealer 'fixed cars'?

I have contemplated selling mine privately as its a high spec Black Edition but every time I now drive it I change my mind!

However, I can be persuaded if anyone wants to purchase an immaculate, standard (just detailed) and recently repaired main dealer TFSI. It even has brand new exhaust tips!

I purchased my 2010 A5 2.0 TFSi Quattro Cab around a year and a half ago and always thought it was heavy on oil, however over the last 8 months its gone nuts. It started drinking a 1 ltr of oil every 350 then 240 miles, so I booked into my local Audi dealer who recommended a seal and software upgrade, which they did under the cars extended warranty....the problem got worse, so they suggested they do a consumption test and the result of that is that it drank 2 ltrs of oil in 113 miles... the dealership have been very supportive so far and offered me a brand new (10 miles on the clock) courtesy A4 for the duration (estimated at about 3 weeks). They are in the process of applying to Audi for authority to proceed with the now very well known Piston/Conrod upgrade...they also said that if cylinder bores are scored because of the original poor pistons and seals, that it could be a replacement engine rather than a rebuild..I'm now waiting back to hear if they are doing it under goodwill. the car has done 78k although I first notified them of the consumption issue at around 62k. The US class action has seen Audi increase the warranty to 8 years or 80k miles, so I'm hoping that they honour that in the UK, or I will have to hand it over to my solicitor to fire a warning shot across their bows!

BTW they told me that the new directive from Audi as of two weeks ago, is that dealers shouldn't charge for the consumption test...I take that as complete recognition from Audi that the engine is faulty and not fit for purpose..

I will update when I have news.

Reactions: silentbrown and scotty76
.I take that as complete recognition from Audi that the engine is faulty and not fit for purpose.
They'll never admit that, of course. But the tales of woe of people paying to have their cars fixed have magically dried up, and some have even had refunds. I'm sure you'll have no problem!

2 litres of oil in 113 miles! That must be a record!!

You will have no problem in having it done free.

Be interesting to see if the oil consumption test charges will be waived. If so there will be a lot of us contacting Audi for that refunded too. Especially as I paid twice!!

I will be contacting Audi again very soon! I'm annoyed as the car is due an oil inspection service in 2 months time even though new oil and oil filter were fitted when the repair was carried out 2 months ago. A free service in lieu of the consumption test charges/inconvenience caused would be ok. Can see a few emails being fired off soon...

I would of got them to reset the service interval at the same time fella and got a stamp in the book that way you have the history and an early oil/filter change foc and from there on youve got a new service plan date as well that you can explain should anyone query it when you come to sell it..

I asked politely at the time but they refused. I did have the repair done for free so didn't want to go to over the top! Anyway I decided That if I don't get a result from complaining again this time this will be my last Audi after nearly 20 yrs. New Merc or Jag next....
Or Beemer?

I have the same issue. I have 2 free services from Audi and due to the rebuild there is no point in using one. I might just ask for the receipt for the rebuild and physically write in the service book myself. Anybody who buys it from me will see the work being done but just no stamp. The car will be out of warranty regardless as it's an 59 plate.

I took audi finance and they threw them in. I was told the interest was going to cost 800 quid over 2 years. I finished up the finance after 12 months and thought it would pay around 500 in interest, or so the salesman told me. Got my statement and I had paid a grand. The services were not really worth it as it would have been cheaper to simply pay Audi for the services and pay for my car cash.

Hi folks my 2010 Audi A5 TFSI is going into Audi Belfast tomorrow morning for its stage 1 oil consumption test.
After seeing the recent article in the daily mail I decided to call AUdi customer service to arrange the check.
The Audi A5 was purchased by me from a non Audi dealer but has had a full Audi service history.

Customer services were ok but non committal as to how much AUDI UK would pay towards any replacement Pistons or rings.

Audi Belfast asked me if I had finance in place to pay for any work that needs to be done to the engine.
Which was a NO

Any idea why they would ask me that when hopefully they will contribute to part or all of fixing this engine.
And lastly any tips for the oil consumption test ?

Audi Belfast asked me if I had finance in place to pay for any work that needs to be done to the engine.
Which was a NO

Any idea why they would ask me that when hopefully they will contribute to part or all of fixing this engine.

Probably just a left hand/right hand thing. In the last few months Audi seem to have been fixing cars totally FOC, assuming good service history. Make it clear you intend to keep it serviced with the main dealer (even if you don't!)

> And lastly any tips for the oil consumption test ?

My only 'tip' is don't bother with one unless you're sure it will fail. It involves two trips to the dealer, possible expense (I expect they're more likely to charge you for the test if it passes!), and if your oil consumption gets worse you'll be back for another test anyway!

I'd do this:
  • Drive until the oil warning message appears.
  • Put in ONE LITRE of the correct oil.
  • Make a note of the mileage
  • Drive, until the oil level warning comes on again
  • Calculate mileage.
If it's less than 1000 miles you're pretty sure to FAIL the test, so get it booked in.
If it's over 2000, nothing to worry about yet.
If it's between 1000 and 2000 repeat the procedure until it drops below 1000... Mine took about 10,000 miles to go from 1600 miles/litre to around 800/litre.

I think the official 'fail point' is 0.5 litres per 1000km, which is 1 litre per 1242 miles.

Probably just a left hand/right hand thing. In the last few months Audi seem to have been fixing cars totally FOC, assuming good service history. Make it clear you intend to keep it serviced with the main dealer (even if you don't!)

> And lastly any tips for the oil consumption test ?

My only 'tip' is don't bother with one unless you're sure it will fail. It involves two trips to the dealer, possible expense (I expect they're more likely to charge you for the test if it passes!), and if your oil consumption gets worse you'll be back for another test anyway!

I'd do this:
  • Drive until the oil warning message appears.
  • Put in ONE LITRE of the correct oil.
  • Make a note of the mileage
  • Drive, until the oil level warning comes on again
  • Calculate mileage.
If it's less than 1000 miles you're pretty sure to FAIL the test, so get it booked in.
If it's over 2000, nothing to worry about yet.
If it's between 1000 and 2000 repeat the procedure until it drops below 1000... Mine took about 10,000 miles to go from 1600 miles/litre to around 800/litre.

I think the official 'fail point' is 0.5 litres per 1000km, which is 1 litre per 1242 miles.
Good advice and could not have said it better myself. However even if it passes a. Oil test you have registered it with Audi that you are concerned. Mine was just coming out of warranty and if I had not raised it with them by having an oil test which it passed then after my warranty expired and the real problems start then they could have just simply turned to me and said out of warranty and not our problem.

Raise your concern with Audi at the earliest opportunity as the oil test is only 60 quid.

Mines being rebuilt FOC now and I count the 60 quid being the most wise money ever spent I basically told them the dealer probably didn't test it right but truth be know initial 621 miles was all motorway and it passed and 2nd test 3 months later was all town stop start and it failed.

Reactions: silentbrown
Mine was just coming out of warranty and if I had not raised it with them by having an oil test which it passed then after my warranty expired and the real problems start then they could have just simply turned to me and said out of warranty and not our problem.

That's a *very* good point. Mine was well out of warranty anyway, so this wasn't an issue for me.

There's also the issue that Audi's "benevolence" may not last forever. Mega-mileage cars might also not get repaired free. So speaking to your local dealer sooner is probably the sensible course of action .But it's good to try and measure the consumption yourself first!

Reactions: lgooch
You certainly need to gauge it yourself and the 1 litre top up from oil light is a great way of doing it. No point going to Audi of this is over 1500 miles but keep records yourself. Take photos of your dash with the oil light on showing the mileage and do it again when it needs refilling. If your noticing a worrying trend to the consumption like I did it add weight to your claim with Audi.

After all who in their right mind would fiddle with the oil and mileage and falsify this information.